New 2350 rbr issues

jsur

Reaction score
So I finally received my new 2350 rbr. It is a beautiful boat, but I have two issues. I am hoping you guys can help me with one, the radio. It worked great yesterday. Today, every time I turn it on, the head unit powers up briefly, then powers off automatically. I do have the sub/amp upgrade. I do not find any obvious loose wires. Secondly, on my non gps speedometer (thought the R came with one), I only hit about 37-38 mph. This is with the 225 vmax sho, saltwater series II prop. I was hoping to do better. This was after the appropriate 2 hour break in. Four average adults, four small kids. I know the speed is probably a prop/mounting issue. Any suggestions? I am trying to load pics, of course that is not working as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Saltwater series 2 do you have, 15 or 17? My 2275 with the 200 was maxed right around 44mph. So do you have the echo 100? Does it show speed on it? If not, use your smartphone if you have one. Most of the map apps will have a speed reading. Now, my 2275 speed was just the wife and I, so that will definitely play a role have 8 on board, plus, does your rbr have a fridge and all that as well? Weight will play a large role. On my 250 with 7 adults and 1 kid I was doing around 39 and I was happy with that since just me and the wife was topping out just over 46. Any idea what your rpms were? 

As for the deck, not sure. I could be 100% wrong, I really have no idea what or how, but the first thing that came to my head was a power overload so it would power down to protect its circuits. It reminded me of when I was a kid in my parents basement and had 2 stereos hooked up to the same speakers using an a/b switch and I forgot to turn one off and sent power from the big stereo back into my smaller bookshelf system and fried it. Because you say that it will keep turning back on, but then immediately shutting down, it must be something in the protection circuitry I would think, if it was a loose wire it just might not turn on. Once again, I am basing this theory on absolutely no knowledge!  Haha

If you have the power distribution center check your fuse. It may be fine but not tightened down. I spent a day troubleshooting my stereo amp issues only to find the screw on the fuse was not tightened down and letting very little current. May be something similar.

..........  on my non gps speedometer (thought the R came with one), I only hit about 37-38 mph. This is with the 225 vmax sho, saltwater series II prop. I was hoping to do better. This was after the appropriate 2 hour break in. Four average adults, four small kids. I know the speed is probably a prop/mounting issue. Any suggestions? I am trying to load pics, of course that is not working as well.
Are you sure it's not a GPS speedometer in the dash?  Mine came with one though it looks like the old type.  It had a strip across the face which stated "GPS speed"  which I removed.  It correlates very well with the digital Garmin mounted to far right of dash.  Four adults, four kids and gear is enough weight to drop your WOT speed a few mph.  I suspect you'll see a good difference when testing with light load.  Prop can also be a factor.  What was your RPM's at WOT?  

So it sounds like my analog speedometer is actually reflecting gps speed. I will verify with my phone today. Also, somebody suggested that by killing the battery completely, I may be triggering some sort of anti theft shut off. Any thoughts? I will have half the people today and calmer waters to test the speed. I will take note of the rpms and note the prop size

Which Anti theft shut off are you referring to ?

I am not aware of any ,I kill my power also .

2nd time out, no luck on radio. Speed better. 2 adults 370 lbs, 2 kids 90 lbs, little less than half tank, 15 1/2 , 17 saltwater series II prop 41 by gps, rpms 5400-5500. Was still hoping to hit about 44-45

Ok, fixed the radio. Must have been a loose connection somewhere as I unattached/reattached all of them. Still disappointed on speed. Of course I should have gone bigger. That being said, should I be hitting higher rpms at wot?

According to Yamaha spec, closer to 6000 with a light load.

Try a 16p Enertia.

2nd time out, no luck on radio. Speed better. 2 adults 370 lbs, 2 kids 90 lbs, little less than half tank, 15 1/2 , 17 saltwater series II prop 41 by gps, rpms 5400-5500. Was still hoping to hit about 44-45

WOT Speed

Check the Yamaha Performance Bulletins if you haven't already done so for more info on your pontoon speed.  I did a quick check and most all tests with your engine show 6000 RPM at WOT and speeds around 44 - 46 mph lightly loaded with outboard mounted at hole position #1.  Your rpms look on the low side at 5400-5500 rpms using the same prop.   What hole position does your setup have?  If your outboard is mounted too low it will cause more drag and loss of speed. 

I will have to check the mounting position this weekend. However, if it is too low, I am not sure if I can change it this summer. Dealer is 1 hour away and boat is in the water. It would have been nice to be optimized from the beginning. Should have gone bigger!

WOT Speed: 

Check the Yamaha Performance Bulletins if you haven't already done so for more info on your pontoon speed.  I did a quick check and most all tests with your engine show 6000 RPM at WOT and speeds around 44 - 46 mph lightly loaded with outboard mounted at hole position #1.  Your rpms look on the low side at 5400-5500 rpms using the same prop.   What hole position does your setup have?  If your outboard is mounted too low it will cause more drag and loss of speed.
Hole position 1

Back