New 24sli

Scott

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. This is my first post and my first experience with Bennington and pontoon boats. I recently purchased a 2011 24sli with a Yamaha 150. I actually purchased it as a gift to my parents but plan on using it also. It is a thank you gift for them putting me through college. They were on a pontoon kick at one time and I told them years ago that some day I would buy them one. Now 20 years later, I come through. I think I'll name it.."About Time". I had researched Bennington extensively before buying and read where Bennington was on top when it came to customer service and fit/finish of their product. However, I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed. My expectations were higher for sure.

After the seemingly long wait for the boat to arrive and be rigged...The first 1 hr on the water, I noticed several things.

The extended aft deck has a bow/ridge in the deck that is very noticeable to touch

A small tear was noted at the seam area on one of the front seats (as though the stitching pulled through and tore an area)

The fiberglass by the right foot helm area (volleyball size) was not polished out...very cloudy compared to the other areas

The latch on the rear door that accesses the privacy enclosure is 0.25-0.5 inches too short and will not latch

The snaps on the privacy curtain won't stay snapped. The curtain is too tight and the snaps pop open

Metal shavings in several areas of the boat including carpet (had to vacuum up..have 2 small kids with bare feet)

The upholstery didn't seem smooth either...kinda lumpy and not evenly sewn.

Perhaps I'm too picky but that's a lot of money for a new boat to have these issues, IMO.

I'm coming from a high end inboard wakeboarding boat and I'm use to the plushness and fit/finish of that boat. Am I just expecting too much out of a pontoon?

I also ordered 2 caps and a key chain from Benningtons store and it just says order waiting to be fulfilled. It has said this for a few days now and no shipment yet. I emailed yesterday asking for a cancellation on the order because I needed it sooner (wanted it for my dad and mom to give to them when I gave them the boat) and I still haven't heard anything.

I hate to complain on my first post but it has left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. Any advice/input from anyone is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scott, Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the boat. Most of the items you mentioned should be covered under warranty. Over the years I have purchased several new boats snd it seems like they have all had a few things that needed to be corrected after delivery. Keep in mind that the S series is Benningtons entry level boats and compared to other boats at that price level, well there is no comparison. Bennington is by far the best. As far the clean up of the boat there is no excuse for that and I would email Bennington so that can be corrected. Also I'm not trying to be a jerk but comparing a entry level Benny to a high end wakeboard boat is not a fair comparison, 25k to 30k boat compared to a 100k wakeboard boat is not apples to apples :) .

The bottom line is, I am sure your parents will love there present and be able to enjoy the boat for many years.

I need to show your post to my kids maybe it would give them some ideas :lol:

Steve

Back