New Bennington is finally home

ct0218

Reaction score
My wife finally got home from a 2 day  trip and I got the SD card out of the camera I mistakenly put in her car. I'll be installing all the extra equipment over the next few weeks, and then I will add some updated photos. I was amazed at how heavy the boat felt towing it home, considering it's weight. It felt much heavier, maybe it is just the mountains and the strong headwind I had Thursday. Not a problem for my diesel dually, but it sure felt like it weighed 9K - 10K pounds.

Congrats and glad you made it home safe. Brake controller issue with dragging brakes? That truck should have tugged it around no problem.

I ordered the trailer w/o brakes. It is I mile downhill from my house, and trailer brakes tend to wear out extremely fast. My oversize fifth wheel brakes get very hot going down, so I back off the controller, then I have to reset it. So, no dragging brakes. It was probably just  the 30+ mph headwind I was fighting, and steep mountain roads. I have a 21 ft 14K  GVWR gooseneck trailer that tows very easy, and it weighs over 4K empty. You forget that its back there sometimes.

It is the wind drag.  Once I towed with out the trailing cover and it drags even worse.  I had a wind deflector I used when I had the enclosed race car trailer.  I have never towed the boat with it on but I bet it would help.  I need to look in the barn and see if i still have it.

Full enclosure?  Wow!  Your boat sounds really nice.

Pontoons are not very heavy for their size, but they have the aerodynamics of a block of wood.  They are also very long, and there are forces like yaw that come into place.  It's just nice to have a long wheelbase tow vehicle that has the guts to handle it and the brakes to stop it.  And they do tow like they're 1500 lbs. heavier than they are. 

I just hope you can figure out what you're looking at with the side scan fish finder.  Heck, I've barely figured out how to make phone calls on my new (and first) Smartphone.

Clark&Gail....Best of luck with the new benny it should be awesome,nice build.Bamaman I know how you feel about phone,gave up after two weeks returned phone and went back to clamshell phone.....OH WELL tough to get old

Side imaging will take a little time to master I'm sure. Most of my fishing is way out to the side of the boat, not directly under it, so it makes sense to me to know what is going on where I'm casting. I have one transducer on the rear, and I'm mounting a second one on the trolling motor.

The full enclosure is up while I'm installing things, and I went down to the shop after church to work inside since it has been raining most of the day. Boy was it ever wet inside. Every stitched seam in the two bimini tops was leaking--so much so that I gave up. Time for some seam sealer! I have a gallon of 303 fabric treatment, I wonder if I need to coat the exterior with that and then use seam sealer on the inside. Any ideas?

The 303 should work by itself.

Thanks Carl.

Carl,

You were right, after our rain moved through this AM I checked and it was dry inside. The 303 fabric treatment sealed every needle hole and seam.

Yup, good stuff!

Back