NEW BOAT PONTOON OWNER

PMIKEBOAT

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

Just bought 2015 2274GL with 250HP YAMAHA.

I have a couple of questions for recomendations:

1) What kind of fuel additive do you use?  if any?

2) Has anybody used the docking "fenders" made by TAYLOR or  DOCK EDGE that protect the whole side of your boat?  Do you like them?

3) If you use your boat in salt water what kind of extra precautions and maintenance do you do?

Thanks,

MIke

Mike, I am not sure about your questions. I would just like to take time and welcome you to the forum and congrats on the new boat.

Welcome to the forum Mike.......

I have used Stabile marine ethanol formula fuel additive to protect against the effects of ethanol but stopped using it when my marina started offering ethanol free fuel. I have also used Seafoam to keep my fuel injectors clean. Check to see if Yamaha recommends using any fuel additive.

I just use regular 20/22 inch bumpers/fenders to protect our boat. Never used the fenders that protect the whole side of the boat......

If you use your boat in saltwater.......make sure you get a set of "ear muffs" to use on your outdrive to flush your motor out. Also give your entire boat a good rinsing or washing to get that salt off........

Welcome and lets see some pics of that beauty! You can just flush just the powerhead of the yamaha using the built in hose fitting adapter. DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR WHEN USING THIS. Use the muffs like Daril suggested to get a full rinse.

Thanks for the info...

Will get some pics together when get I it out of storage and figure out how to put them on the forum.......

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new boat. If you're going to boat in salt water and didn't get the salt water package, you really have to rinse it off when you're done for the day along with your trailer. I just use regular fenders for our boat and they do just fine. I bought the Taylor Made Pontoon Fenders and they were a PIA. I use stabil fuel additive all the time and haven't had a problem.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! I just 3 standard  fenders with the plastic clips that go on the rails and have no issues, as for fuel additive I use a product called K100, we have used that I our sleds and boat without any ethanol issues. Yes pictures are a must!!!

Welcome Aboard!

I use the regular fenders.  They seem to work just fine,

I use Stabil Marine as an additive with every fill.

We will need to see some pictures or we won't believe you even have a boat!!!!!

What fuel grade are you running and what is recommended?  My Yamaha 250SHO recommends 89 octane. If I am only running 89, then you can just use Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner Plus,  or if you are like me and running 91 octane, then Yamaha recommends Yamaha Ring Free Plus (the plus is for ethanol fuels). The Ring Free is supposed to help clean out any build up of carbon left from running a higher octane fuel. If I remember correctly 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back