New Cover on the way

Greg2017

Member
Messages
21
Reaction score
13
I took my old cover off and treated with Star brite Waterproofing and about 2 weeks later, while on the boat, it started to rip and disintegrate. No idea if it was related to the treatment or just old so I called up Tumacs and got a new cover on order for my 2012 2275 RCW. I got confirmation of shipping today, ordered 6/9 and shipped today 7/28. Not bad considering the shut down they went thru for COVID. Cost including shipping for the Surlast material was approx $1300. Would have been close to $1800 for Sunbrella and over $2500 at my local shops, so I feel good about it. I also bought the snap tool from Salrite, so now just waiting on delivery.

Question is, how is it best to install considering I have snaps on the old cover and on the boat. I don't plan on touching the snaps on the boat, as they are screwed into the rails. I was thinking of laying the old cover out on the ground, lay the new one on top and match up snap locations and go to town snapping. Or would it be better to do it directly on the boat matching to the snaps on the boat?

Thanks
Greg
 

Remediation

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,708
Reaction score
735
Location
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
I laid the top on the boat and started installing the snaps on the cover. I had no help so I did not stretch the cover enough. After 6 snaps it was oblivious that they were in the wrong spot. I put the snaps in the right spots about 1 1/2" over. I just left the wrong snaps on the cover. Not perfect but has worked for the last 5 years. Get some help and you can do it. You have the right snap tool.
 

royal4

Well-Known Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
217
Location
Jordan Lake, NC
If you have the right tool it's not hard to install snaps. I put the cover on the boat and started on the top corner front (where the cover drops down from top rail. I did that snap on both sides comparing to the old cover. I also compared the snaps around the cleat cutout to the old cover. I then worked my way around the front alternating side to side. I did have one snap I had to move about an inch because I started in the wrong place. . The rest of the boat wasn't too bad to pull tight and install snaps.
re: cover ripping -- I'm on my 3rd cover, I used 303 on the first and 2nd one and then used Star Brite on the 2nd one after reading about it on here. The first cover got paper thin and ripped. I put two coats of Star Brite on the 2nd cover and about a week later after we got heavy rain it pooled on top of the cover and it ripped it to shreds in several places. What a waste of $$ putting on the Star Brite as I got about a weeks worth of use out of it. My next cover will be Sunbrella as my neighbor has a Sunbrella cover and 10+ years it is still going strong.
 
Last edited:
Top