New L series build questions and advice.

fiddlebick

Reaction score
I just sold my near perfect '05 benny 2575 in favor of a smaller boat in a tritoon, since the grandkids have grownup, and upcoming retirement. Since used boats are pretty pricey and scarce, I'm near convinced to buy a new one. I've already been shopping waaaayy over my original budget, even in the used market. I've got a few questions for owners. How nice is the RGB kick toe lighting? Of course I'd like to have that, but I trailer up and head back to town every time were done on the water, very rarely out after dusk, so I could save on the LED package, including the under deck illumination. I just hate to omit it, but price increases, my falling stocks and rising interest rates have me scrambling to afford what I want, vs had I purchased it two years ago. I had questioned a raised helm, but seems everyone likes that, and I would too. The other possibility is the stainless bennington speaker grill on the swingback seat. Kinda like it, but sure is pricey. I think I'll go cheap on the stereo and upgrade to aftermarket JL audio equiptment, and I could do that after my sticker shock wears off. Gee my first two houses cost less together than this boat will...but hey you play...you gotta pay. With a disabled wife we probably won't travel much in retirement, but boating is something we enjoy together.

We skipped the lighting ,we don't boat after dark . For me elevated helm is a must .I did upgrade the stereo with the Sirius option, kicker amp and sub .

Well - I really like NOT having the raised helm / no step - though definitely the minority opinion. I did get Bolster seats and at 6' tall - no big value for me with the raised helm. I agree, since you trailer and rarely will be on the lake when dark - save the LED costs - can always upgrade or just use battery lanterns if you do plan on staying out late. I find the standard stereo fine - though I admit I can't hear it when WOT, otherwise is sounds great and plenty loud. Speaker Grill suggests you are ordering a SB - I LOVE the SB Plus - folds flat and fits my taller body, it includes the SS Speaker Grill. So, while the SS Grill was not important for me, the SB Plus was. All depends on how you are using. Hope that is helpful.

I pretty much echo all of the above.

We did get all the RGB lights, and rarely go out at night. It does look cool. However, given cost, certainly has not been worth the money for us. And since we plan to keep the boat a good 10-20 years, its not like it will meaningfully hold value for us on resale. Given how you said you will rarely be out at night, that is an easy item to pass on if the budget is blown too much already.

As someone that is not very tall, I take all the help I can get. The raised helm is nice for that, but frankly, I like the look of it more anyway. Lucky I guess since that is such a personal taste type thing. However, if you don’t like the look of it, AND don’t want the bolster seat, you could always order something like a Bolster Buddy to sit up higher if needed.

We have the chrome rear speaker grill. Super cool looking!!! It does make the entire back of the boat just POP, Ours was the first and only one on our lake for nearly 3 years. Our dealer would prep our boat and sit it near the entrance for a couple weeks to show it off the first few years we had it to advertise the feature. Still waiting on those upgrade profit sharing checks…lol.

Anyway, the rear chrome speaker grill is one of the main attention getters on our boat. That said, not a practical item. However, the newer SB Plus is very cool. Wish we had it (not an option back in 2017). As LA said, perhaps the rear chrome speaker is just the bonus for going with the SB Plus option. I would have 100% went SB Plus if it had been an option back in 2017. Love the enhanced versatility of the seating.

We have a 23LSB with all those options and to be honest I wouldn’t change any of them. The elevated helm is really helpful to shorter captains (my wife), the lights make my 2 year old go crazy, and the rear speakers are great when hanging out on the lily pad. This forum is great at spending everyone’s money and it definitely happened with me! We are lucky enough to go out every month since we got it in September and really wouldn’t change a thing at this point. If I had to be picky I think having a gate before the aft deck would be great (removed because we have the aft rail system) but at this point it’s only because of the dog. Either way, I’m sure you’ll be satisfied, I just didn’t want to leave anything to doubt.

Only reason I’m in a G (L) is because in 2017 the S didn’t offer the raised helm. It’s all about the look for me. That was a must have for me, along with sea grass flooring.
i did get lighting in the bimini. 5 years and still haven’t been out at night. Little cheaper than the RGB setup though.

I just sold my near perfect '05 benny 2575 in favor of a smaller boat in a tritoon, since the grandkids have grownup, and upcoming retirement. Since used boats are pretty pricey and scarce, I'm near convinced to buy a new one. I've already been shopping waaaayy over my original budget, even in the used market. I've got a few questions for owners. How nice is the RGB kick toe lighting? Of course I'd like to have that, but I trailer up and head back to town every time were done on the water, very rarely out after dusk, so I could save on the LED package, including the under deck illumination. I just hate to omit it, but price increases, my falling stocks and rising interest rates have me scrambling to afford what I want, vs had I purchased it two years ago. I had questioned a raised helm, but seems everyone likes that, and I would too. The other possibility is the stainless bennington speaker grill on the swingback seat. Kinda like it, but sure is pricey. I think I'll go cheap on the stereo and upgrade to aftermarket JL audio equiptment, and I could do that after my sticker shock wears off. Gee my first two houses cost less together than this boat will...but hey you play...you gotta pay. With a disabled wife we probably won't travel much in retirement, but boating is something we enjoy together.
Congrats on your pending boat and your retirement! Out of curiosity how much are the lighting options, raised helm and chrome speaker grill?!? We very rarely go out at night so that's an easy omit for me! Raised helms look great and the members on here love 'em but does that 4 inches really make that much of a difference?!? If I can't see and people are sitting in front of the helm I just ask them to move to another seat. After seeing the chrome speaker grill on Vikingstaff's boat I would want that if I had a SB. It does make it pop!!! And yes it would be hard for me to buy a boat or a a full size SUV that cost more than my $68900 1st house!!!

I think I would skip the lights, add the raised helm and add the swingback plus as mentioned above. The versatility of it is awesome.

Nothing in those three options is a deal-killer IMO.

I have the LED lightning but it's a gee wiz bang thing for kids, and occasionally on the 4th of July and night fishing it's nice. But could easily live without it.

I also have the bolstered chair like Laurence and can see plenty when running - you can even get a modified pedestal after the fact if you need additional height.

Speakers would probably be the one option I could see being a key upgrade especially if you are on the sandbar or an audiophile. The base speakers/system is pretty tinny and isn't going to get your booty shaking. To upgrade after the fact might be a cool DIY but for me I'd rather it be a clean setup out of the factory.

What are your other tradeoffs? Something like a larger HP engine would not only put a grin on your face every time but could also really help with resale down the road. LED not so much.

Only reason I’m in a G (L) is because in 2017 the S didn’t offer the raised helm. It’s all about the look for me.
The older G = new LX. Don’t sell yourself short. :p The older SXP = new L.

As for it being all about the look for you, with your lakes HP limitation, it’d have to be. :eek: ;) :D Joking aside, your boat does look sweet, so mission accomplished there. :cool:

Kind of funny, we went with the SXP in 2017 in part for the raised helm and enhanced interior styling over the normal S series. Being able to get the G series helm for the looks was a nice SXP option that year.

Unfortunately, the G was just slightly too much if I wanted to maintain our desired HP. Dang trade offs!

New to the site, ordered last fall the 22' SSRV after selling the ski boat. I live in a 2400 SF floating home on the Columbia River between Portland OR and Vancouver WA, south channel of the river (Hayden Island in the middle) I went into the dealership about a month ago to check on the build status and I saw an awesome 21 LL fully loaded. It took me about a minute to decide to buy it instead and spend the extra $$. Portland has the 2nd largest floating home community in North America and the south channel is lined on both side for about 2 -3 miles of homes thus the need for the toe lighting, bow head lights and bimini lights. We go out at least 2x a week at night spring - fall nights and at times its almost a freeway out there. Very beautiful with all the homes lighting up the river. As for the raised helm, I'm 6'3" so need and think anyone over 6' would not need it. Just want to say I really enjoy this form and all the good info you can get from it

First ask yourself if you would ever sell or trade this boat. If you plan to die owning it then rig to your needs. After working in golf course maintenance 33 years there is a thing called "curb appeal". We always made sure the holes visible from street and clubhouse got best attention. Curb appeal means rig with extras for fast resell. Otherwise I would say get the raised helm and do your own thing with stereo.

Thanks for the info folks. I just talked to the dealer and omitted the LED options. Still considering the raised helm, I am 5' 7" but I've been boating for years without a raised helm with no problems. We want the SB plus but its extra for the stainless speaker grill, and I am going to update the stereo on my own. Lawrence, your post makes it sound like the speaker grill came with the SBplus? As for the stereo, I try to be respectful on the lake, with all the homes and multitudes of other boaters, but on the ohio river I open up the stereo...Daddy is rockin, so I'll udate that myself. The biggest disappointment is the blackout package does not include a blacked out rail. The dealer said its been removed for the time being due to availability and backlog. I would only get the blacked out fence tubing/rail.

Thanks for the info folks. I just talked to the dealer and omitted the LED options. Still considering the raised helm, I am 5' 7" but I've been boating for years without a raised helm with no problems. We want the SB plus but its extra for the stainless speaker grill, and I am going to update the stereo on my own. Lawrence, your post makes it sound like the speaker grill came with the SBplus? As for the stereo, I try to be respectful on the lake, with all the homes and multitudes of other boaters, but on the ohio river I open up the stereo...Daddy is rockin, so I'll udate that myself. The biggest disappointment is the blackout package does not include a blacked out rail. The dealer said its been removed for the time being due to availability and backlog. I would only get the blacked out fence tubing/rail.
Lots has changed the last few years with parts shortages, incredibly high demand, supply chain issues, etc…

The speaker grill may have become unbundled since Lawrence bought his. Mine was a separate add on in 2017 when there was only one SB layout option available.

Same with the blackout packages. In 2017, the blackout package actually blacked out everything. I believe there are now two versions, and as you mention, both are not available on all models due to demand and shortages.

New to the site, ordered last fall the 22' SSRV after selling the ski boat. I live in a 2400 SF floating home on the Columbia River between Portland OR and Vancouver WA, south channel of the river (Hayden Island in the middle) I went into the dealership about a month ago to check on the build status and I saw an awesome 21 LL fully loaded. It took me about a minute to decide to buy it instead and spend the extra $$. Portland has the 2nd largest floating home community in North America and the south channel is lined on both side for about 2 -3 miles of homes thus the need for the toe lighting, bow head lights and bimini lights. We go out at least 2x a week at night spring - fall nights and at times its almost a freeway out there. Very beautiful with all the homes lighting up the river. As for the raised helm, I'm 6'3" so need and think anyone over 6' would not need it. Just want to say I really enjoy this form and all the good info you can get from it
Welcome Jams! How about posting some pictures of your “neighborhood” for those of us who will likely never have the opportunity to see it in person? It sounds awesome to me!

I'm in a 2011 R series. Raised helm is worth its weight in Gold. I would not purchase a boat without it. My boat was purchased from Spicer's Marine on Houghton lake Michigan and was the first Bennington with 32" dual tubes, sealed lifting strakes, and all the underwater, side, and cupholder lighting they ever ordered. it was actually a struggle to get them to order those packages as they had really no idea it existed. While its great when running canal cruises with the kids and adults, the practicality of using it on the bay unless just anchored is far and few in between. Although we do use the underwater lights (on my 2nd set as the factory set had lost 50% of the LED's) is great for fishing at the dock as it seems to attract bait fish which attracts the game fish. Back in 2011, there was no RGB as it was all blue or nothing. Since taking delivery of the boat, I have added additional blue toe railing LED lights in the base of the front benches on both sides.

My biggest beef with Bennington is that in 2012 they offered a tower package and a mega pan package which allowed a 200hp motor max vs the 150hp I have with a reduction 1 person (13 vs 12) as a consolidation. I would gladly have taken a 200hp motor vs the 150hp max I have on my model. While its upgradable today to do that, its financially silly to do so. Its cheaper to buy a new boat then to repower and add a tower.

The moral of my story, is that buy what you can afford and be happy with your build. Every year will have upgrades you wish you could have ordered.
Todd

The moral of my story, is that buy what you can afford and be happy with your build. Every year will have upgrades you wish you could have ordered.
Todd
This is very good advice! No way to avoid it.

Get what you can afford, with the most of what you want or need, and you’ll be thrilled once on the water. Almost everyone leaves some “wants” on the table (and ends up with 1-2 things they realize they could have went without) given the costs of the boats anyway.

Yes, my SB Plus did come with the SS Speaker Grill - sounds like it was part of the LX package maybe?

I keep thinking if I wait a little deeper into spring there will be a boat pop up for sale with nearly everything I need or want, and I can beat the cost of a new one and tax....but realistically that will likely not happen til after I pay for a new one.

With the recent price increase's and shortages, used are now going for more than what was originally paid for them .

Back