New L series build questions and advice.

Just heard this morning that home prices are getting ready to dive. Over priced for too long, and costs to live are heading higher and higher. Maybe boats will follow ? Uh, don't hold your breath.

Just heard this morning that home prices are getting ready to dive. Over priced for too long, and costs to live are heading higher and higher. Maybe boats will follow ? Uh, don't hold your breath.
I hope someone mentions that to the tax man . I just got my new assessment.:D

New to the site, ordered last fall the 22' SSRV after selling the ski boat. I live in a 2400 SF floating home on the Columbia River between Portland OR and Vancouver WA, south channel of the river (Hayden Island in the middle) I went into the dealership about a month ago to check on the build status and I saw an awesome 21 LL fully loaded. It took me about a minute to decide to buy it instead and spend the extra $$. Portland has the 2nd largest floating home community in North America and the south channel is lined on both side for about 2 -3 miles of homes thus the need for the toe lighting, bow head lights and bimini lights. We go out at least 2x a week at night spring - fall nights and at times its almost a freeway out there. Very beautiful with all the homes lighting up the river. As for the raised helm, I'm 6'3" so need and think anyone over 6' would not need it. Just want to say I really enjoy this form and all the good info you can get from it
As requested some pics of the hood

Attachments

• 2C30462E-5334-419E-BD04-E1CB8F297C5C.JPG
    2C30462E-5334-419E-BD04-E1CB8F297C5C.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 3AB5A91E-3A48-49B9-984A-BAC133363A7B.JPG
    3AB5A91E-3A48-49B9-984A-BAC133363A7B.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 54
  • F851D504-E111-4F47-B8FA-D2B3ADA2CB52.JPG
    F851D504-E111-4F47-B8FA-D2B3ADA2CB52.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 76CDBF6A-7C2F-4B5A-B280-6F81D88A597E.JPG
    76CDBF6A-7C2F-4B5A-B280-6F81D88A597E.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 53
  • E41036CE-F76D-4B61-8BDE-C2E14C4E8AE2.jpeg
    E41036CE-F76D-4B61-8BDE-C2E14C4E8AE2.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 54
Wow! I’ve never seen anything quite like that. Has one ever sunk? Thanks for sharing…

Wow! I’ve never seen anything quite like that. Has one ever sunk? Thanks for sharing…
No they don't sink, ever!. Most are built on huge old growth logs that can last up to 75-100 yrs. As they wear out you just replace them which is expensive. Newer homes are built on standard todays log or even metal "pontoons" The stringers are are 8x12 beams or metal I beams. So the home are very sturdy

I just sold my near perfect '05 benny 2575 in favor of a smaller boat in a tritoon, since the grandkids have grownup, and upcoming retirement. Since used boats are pretty pricey and scarce, I'm near convinced to buy a new one. I've already been shopping waaaayy over my original budget, even in the used market. I've got a few questions for owners. How nice is the RGB kick toe lighting? Of course I'd like to have that, but I trailer up and head back to town every time were done on the water, very rarely out after dusk, so I could save on the LED package, including the under deck illumination. I just hate to omit it, but price increases, my falling stocks and rising interest rates have me scrambling to afford what I want, vs had I purchased it two years ago. I had questioned a raised helm, but seems everyone likes that, and I would too. The other possibility is the stainless bennington speaker grill on the swingback seat. Kinda like it, but sure is pricey. I think I'll go cheap on the stereo and upgrade to aftermarket JL audio equiptment, and I could do that after my sticker shock wears off. Gee my first two houses cost less together than this boat will...but hey you play...you gotta pay. With a disabled wife we probably won't travel much in retirement, but boating is something we enjoy together.
Just a suggestion, we are pretty much in the same situation as you. Wife sold our 2017 21 SLXP last August so we ordered another boat. Price was a big consideration also, as we are both retired now, and on SSI. You might consider a bi-toon with sealed lifting strakes. Our last Bennington was a 21SLXP, sealed lifting strakes, underwave shield and a 115 Mercury Pro Xs Ct. /17" prop. This boat would jump out of the water like a runabout, instantly accelerate to 36mph and with trimming up would squeeze 40.3 and that's with 350lbs of people and 21 gals. of fuel. More importantly, RIDE! This boat went across 2' plus waves as well as any tri-toon with the added bonus of not getting wet. Friends of mine who have tri's are quite amazed at the overall performance with this by-toon. We ordered (just came in) the same chassis but added .10" toons with HD mounting brackets. We ordered a 22LSB this time. We were able to buy this new 2022 LSB delivered, (out the door) for 59,503.00. It looks like sense we ordered this boat (Sept, 2021) MSRP has risen more than $6000.00

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 32
  • _DAR ELDRED 2.jpg
    _DAR ELDRED 2.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 34
On another note, I plan to order the double bimini setup, but I really don't like the way the front frame leans forward when you choose NOT to deploy it. I think it looks goofy leaning towards the bow instead of swept towards the rear. Grabbed this image off the internet as an example. Occasionally, (on the '05 I just sold) we would open the rear bimini, but not the front for those who wanted some sun... but they were symetrical, as I had it custom built with struts that allowed aft leaning orientation... I have a love/hate relationship with double bimini's..

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 11
I think its a must have on the double bimini, especially on 100 degree days. I dont mind it leaning forward but you can always take it off if you dont want to use it!

On another note, I plan to order the double bimini setup, but I really don't like the way the front frame leans forward when you choose NOT to deploy it. I think it looks goofy leaning towards the bow instead of swept towards the rear. Grabbed this image off the internet as an example. Occasionally, (on the '05 I just sold) we would open the rear bimini, but not the front for those who wanted some sun... but they were symetrical, as I had it custom built with struts that allowed aft leaning orientation... I have a love/hate relationship with double bimini's..
Search for

Front Powered Bimini on 22RTFB - they had an aftermarket front bimini that leans back!​

I like that much better. Thanks for the advice and nice setup. My bimini decision may still be up in the air. Its sad to read older posts of new builds and see the prices from just two years ago. I'm looking at around 85k to build what would have been about 60k two years ago..apparently. If prices were near that now, I wouldn't hesitate to add whatever I desired, but I'm about 20k into the "scared" zone on spending too much. Retirement is a year away, but thats uncharted waters for me. Heck my stock portfolio has fallen enough just this year to have paid for the boat in full.

We love the toe kick lights on our L. We use them every time, they work fine in the daytime you just have to turn up the brightness with the knob. Actually at night I often turn the toe kick lights off or at least to the dimmest setting for visibility. But dusk is when they are the best. The underwater lights I would skip next time, those don't show up unless dark. But at night they are cool.

I did not get the raised helm and don't miss it. But I never had it so it's hard for me to say. I had planned to get it until I saw it at the dealer. Perhaps it would have been different if I test drove one, but in the showroom I couldn't appreciate the benefit.

I'm still sweating it out here at the computer. Watching every day for a magical boat of my dreams to pop up on Marketplace, saving me thousands of dollars this year.. and keeping in mind there is a price increase looming for new boats in the near future. I tried to buy a 2021 Godfrey Monaco from a seller in NC, but he also backed out apologetically when the sale of his lake home fell thru. That's three boats I have tried to buy this spring, only to have the sellers change their minds...my luck. I'm inching closer to ordering the 23lsb on my build sheet. I was at the dealer this week and looked at a boat with the Simtex vinyl, and I'm not a fan...yet, but there's no other option, so I'll take that along with the good reviews from owners here. My dealer had repeatedly advised against the Simrad G07, saying you're relying on electronics instead of the more reliable and time proven analog gauges, and I see his point. He's trying to get my cost down, and he says you can buy a gadget that connects to the Merc engine that will send all your engine data to a cell phone app. I DO get attracted to shiny things and extra buttons when buying cars, and apparently boats. I gotta keep in mind that its a pleasure craft, and 99% of the time I probably wouldn't be watching a center screen for anything. I pretty much stay in Rough River Reservoir or the Ohio, and I know them both pretty well, but dang that touch screen looks inviting.... One question. He told me if I didn't order the stainless bennington speaker grill on the swingback, that it would still have 2 speakers in the aft of the lounge, but I haven't been able to see any speaker grills visible on any pics online when viewed from the rear. Surely he can't be mistaken on that? I was thrilled to know there would be aft facing speakers, because I'm not ordering any accent lighting anyway, to save money...so the extra cost was shaved.

The Mercury to phone thing is a Vessel View bluetooth option. Takes 5 minutes to install. Plug it into an existing connector, then tie it out of the way. And it's only a couple hundred bucks. Download the VV app, and you are ready to go.

I'm still sweating it out here at the computer. Watching every day for a magical boat of my dreams to pop up on Marketplace, saving me thousands of dollars this year.. and keeping in mind there is a price increase looming for new boats in the near future. I tried to buy a 2021 Godfrey Monaco from a seller in NC, but he also backed out apologetically when the sale of his lake home fell thru. That's three boats I have tried to buy this spring, only to have the sellers change their minds...my luck. I'm inching closer to ordering the 23lsb on my build sheet. I was at the dealer this week and looked at a boat with the Simtex vinyl, and I'm not a fan...yet, but there's no other option, so I'll take that along with the good reviews from owners here. My dealer had repeatedly advised against the Simrad G07, saying you're relying on electronics instead of the more reliable and time proven analog gauges, and I see his point. He's trying to get my cost down, and he says you can buy a gadget that connects to the Merc engine that will send all your engine data to a cell phone app. I DO get attracted to shiny things and extra buttons when buying cars, and apparently boats. I gotta keep in mind that its a pleasure craft, and 99% of the time I probably wouldn't be watching a center screen for anything. I pretty much stay in Rough River Reservoir or the Ohio, and I know them both pretty well, but dang that touch screen looks inviting.... One question. He told me if I didn't order the stainless bennington speaker grill on the swingback, that it would still have 2 speakers in the aft of the lounge, but I haven't been able to see any speaker grills visible on any pics online when viewed from the rear. Surely he can't be mistaken on that? I was thrilled to know there would be aft facing speakers, because I'm not ordering any accent lighting anyway, to save money...so the extra cost was shaved.
It really is too bad Bennington does not spend just a little time trying to capture the options they offer in their catalog or accurately describe them in their catalog. The catalog Item 7 states "Stainless Steel Aft Bennington Emblem with Rear Facing Speakers". The build sheet charges $1,890 for this upgrade. The Standard Specs for an LSB23 is 4 speakers. These three details suggest rear speakers require the upgrade. I would ask the dealer to specify in your order form that your build will come with rear facing speakers, or reach out directly to Bennington and ask.

Attachments

• SB Options.JPG
    SB Options.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 19
I dont believe 2 rear speakers is standard, and the picture above from LA from the catalog seems to indicate that. I agree you should discuss that with the dealer and have them mark where the two rear speakers are specified in the build sheet.

I love the Simrad, but I USE the gps maps on it all the time on our shallow lake. For me that is its best feature, and main reason for having it. IF you wont be using the gps/maps on it, then that certainly is an easy area to save money. The Vessel View will give you some assortment of engine data much cheaper if you still want that info while boating. That is a few hundred and can be added at any point you wish.

As for “time tested” analog gauges… not sure they are as full proof as the dealer is billing them. Speed is seldom accurate with analogue, gas can often be widely off. Etc. However, to each their own. I trust newer electronic gauges much more than the older analog ones myself. But whether they are worth the cost to someone is an entirely different matter.

I dont believe 2 rear speakers is standard, and the picture above from LA from the catalog seems to indicate that. I agree you should discuss that with the dealer and have them mark where the two rear speakers are specified in the build sheet.

I love the Simrad, but I USE the gps maps on it all the time on our shallow lake. For me that is its best feature, and main reason for having it. IF you wont be using the gps/maps on it, then that certainly is an easy area to save money. The Vessel View will give you some assortment of engine data much cheaper if you still want that info while boating. That is a few hundred and can be added at any point you wish.

As for “time tested” analog gauges… not sure they are as full proof as the dealer is billing them. Speed is seldom accurate with analogue, gas can often be widely off. Etc. However, to each their own. I trust newer electronic gauges much more than the older analog ones myself. But whether they are worth the cost to someone is an entirely different matter.

One thing to add is if using an analog speedometer this will read speed over water. In a lake this probably isn't a big deal, but in bodies of water with current I'd rather have GPS so I have the more useful (IMO) speed over ground.

If someone is worried about failure of an MFD then just add a round digital gauge with a GPS antenna as back up. This will probably have no greater failure rate than an analog/pitot tube getting plugged up.

Standard is 4 speakers. To the best of my knowledge, the 2 in the back come with the lighted speaker grill. Also, all of the guages either simrad, garmin, or analog will be covered under the 10 year boat warranty.

Just took delivery of a 23lsb,great looking boat.The rear speakers is a add on.I went with the analogue gauges,it is a GPS speedometer,200hp Yamaha,not fully broken in yet but touched 40mph with a pretty strong headwind.This my 2nd bennington,love the boat,but attention to detail is just not what I expected(well kinda did) with the backlog I guess.I have not talked to the dealer yet,sure they will take care of it but I know it won’t be an easy fix.Don’t know what color interior you want but I wish I had went with darker grey instead of the lighter silver.

Just took delivery of a 23lsb,great looking boat.The rear speakers is a add on.I went with the analogue gauges,it is a GPS speedometer,200hp Yamaha,not fully broken in yet but touched 40mph with a pretty strong headwind.This my 2nd bennington,love the boat,but attention to detail is just not what I expected(well kinda did) with the backlog I guess.I have not talked to the dealer yet,sure they will take care of it but I know it won’t be an easy fix.Don’t know what color interior you want but I wish I had went with darker grey instead of the lighter silver.

Funny, I have the darker silver and wish I had the lighter! Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose. I still think white is the sharpest looking but with all the bugs, bird poop and fish guts I could never pull it off.

The lighter silver has a lot of dirty,darker spots already.I guess they were not to careful when it was put together or the final assembly at the dealer I guess.I have been known to kill a few mosquitoes and spiders with the whip of a towel or rag so I will have to be extra careful now.

Back