New Owner, few questions

Scott1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Glad to be here, been reading the forum and a bunch of good folks in here.

I just finalized on a deal for a new 2014 (Hold Over) 2375 R series RCW with Merc Verado 250 Pro.

Some of the options are in my sig.

My first question is I have a boat lift that I will convert for the Pontoon boat.  Do I need to support the middle (3rd) tube?  I have seen some pics and it looks like some lifts only support the outer two tubes.

It says the Beam on this boat is 8'6", which is what my runabout is, so are the widths the same, or is that not what Beam is?

I am not new to boating so I know most of the things I need to carry with me, is there anything you can suggest as a new Pontoon owner?  Any tips, tricks or warnings?  I have read some of these threads and gathered some good information already.

Is there anything you would have the dealer do while it is still at the shop?  I do know one thing, labor is not cheap!  My boat has some upgrades but not all of them.  I am having them install a stereo remote at one of the aft loungers, a Garmin 50s, Flag pole and giving me a spare prop.  My boat has snap in carpet, the performance package (larger tri toon, lifting strakes, etc), raised helm.  I am also having them add a second battery and switch.

Any comments and suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Hey guys,

Glad to be here, been reading the forum and a bunch of good folks in here.

I just finalized on a deal for a new 2014 (Hold Over) 2375 R series RCW with Merc Verado 250 Pro.

Some of the options are in my sig.

My first question is I have a boat lift that I will convert for the Pontoon boat.  Do I need to support the middle (3rd) tube?  I have seen some pics and it looks like some lifts only support the outer two tubes.

It says the Beam on this boat is 8'6", which is what my runabout is, so are the widths the same, or is that not what Beam is?

I am not new to boating so I know most of the things I need to carry with me, is there anything you can suggest as a new Pontoon owner?  Any tips, tricks or warnings?  I have read some of these threads and gathered some good information already.

Is there anything you would have the dealer do while it is still at the shop?  I do know one thing, labor is not cheap!  My boat has some upgrades but not all of them.  I am having them install a stereo remote at one of the aft loungers, a Garmin 50s, Flag pole and giving me a spare prop.  My boat has snap in carpet, the performance package (larger tri toon, lifting strakes, etc), raised helm.  I am also having them add a second battery and switch.

Any comments and suggestions would be great!

Thanks
I have the similar 2275RCW version with 250 Pro. You definitely should have support for the center tube on the lift, given what you're spending on the boat, and what little the bunks cost. What style just depends on the type of lift you have. My ShoreStation has two 14' vinyl bunks on the center toon and it works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

The boat is in Indiana, I have done all my conversations via email and my wife took care of the financials since I am overseas.  I am having a difficult time getting the build sheet, I have asked for it, said they would see if they could send it to me.  They didn't even send it to my bank, just a handwritten cost of motor, boat and trailer I think.  But, I am not complaining too much they have been good to deal with so far.

Awesome!  This is going to help tremendously.  I am doing my own conversion to my existing lift.  Let me know if I am off track here.  Right now I have an RGC lift that has two bunks on it, one supporting each side of the boat.  So that is 2 pairs of brackets total.  Enough for 1 pontoon.  What if I purchased 4 more bracket pairs, enough for the other two pontoons.  I would just set them and support each pontoon like I do my boat, a bunk on each side of the pontoons?  That sound like it would work?

Have them pressure wash and shark hide the pontoons
How much should this cost?  What will this do for the boat, I have not heard much about it?  Thanks

I have the same model/year boat as you with a Yamaha 250. I used to have a Cobalt 246 on my lift and you definitely need to convert to three sets of bunks to support the middle tube. That is important due to all of the weight of the motor on the center tube needs the support. Good luck with your new boat, I took my first ride on mine last weekend and sure am looking forward to boating season.

This is ours.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

This is ours.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg
Wow, that is even simpler than what I was thinking.  I did not realize you could lift them flat like that.  Nice set up you have there!

I have the same model/year boat as you with a Yamaha 250. I used to have a Cobalt 246 on my lift and you definitely need to convert to three sets of bunks to support the middle tube. That is important due to all of the weight of the motor on the center tube needs the support. Good luck with your new boat, I took my first ride on mine last weekend and sure am looking forward to boating season.
Just curious, what is the top speed of your setup?  I am hoping for around 45mph.

Just curious, what is the top speed of your setup?  I am hoping for around 45mph.
50.9 gps on my 2275RCW Verado 250 Pro with a very light load. 44-48 is fairly typical.

I know where you boat Scott and it sure would suck to hit a "deadhead" at that speed.    :eek:

As far as a recommendation, a large cooler with lots of cold beer. I am curious. My new build was delivered a month ago. It's shrink wrapped and resting on wood blocks on only the outside tubes. Has Bennington weighed in officially on tis topic?

Congrats!

As far as a recommendation, a large cooler with lots of cold beer. I am curious. My new build was delivered a month ago. It's shrink wrapped and resting on wood blocks on only the outside tubes. Has Bennington weighed in officially on tis topic?

Congrats!
They told me it was sufficiently engineered to be supported on the outside tubes at rest. I wear a belt and suspenders, so my center tube and engine get supported  B)

Carl,

Yes, that lake can be very dangerous.  I have been on it for many years so basically the rule is only go where you know.  Of course it is damned, so watching the changing water levels is very important.  I almsost really got in trouble last year, I went away for 1 week, came back and my boat was close to dry dock on my lift.  They lowered the lake so much that my boat lift would not go down low enough, I barely got the boat off it.

I do see many pics of these boats only being supported by the outer tubes, so I am curious as to what Bennington recommends.  I guess if I can make it work, it is better to support all three though.

Thanks guys.

They should shark hide for $150

I would be VERY skeptical if they won't produce build sheet. They are hiding something. Get hull number and contact bennington. Don't sign off until you have it. Maybe force the banker to request it

They should shark hide for $150

I would be VERY skeptical if they won't produce build sheet. They are hiding something. Get hull number and contact bennington. Don't sign off until you have it. Maybe force the banker to request it
$150? As I recall, mine for ESP in 2013 was ~$600 from the factory. The dealer wanted even more because they had to hoist the entire boat to get underneath. I think the factory has since reduced the cost as they've developed a better process to apply it.

I agree on the build sheet. It's immediately available to any authorized dealer. Takes 1 minute to produce and print.

I'd be surprised if the factory doesn't shark hide the tubes before they ever see the assembly line.

Dealers usually have fork lifts capable of handling boats. They might charge 600. If they did, I'd do it myself like I did last year.

Back