New owner of 2275 GS and I need to go faster.

JSP

Reaction score
Hi all. New to this great forum, day 2 of owning this Bennington. I love it but not getting the mph that my dealer said I would. Wondering if I should be concerned or not. I'm getting 22mph by GPS, 2 25" no strakes, Yamaha 115, stock prop, running with 2 adults, 2 kids, still in motor breakin phase. I looked at some comparable motor performance data and it said close to 27mph. I don't want to upgrade the motor (I should've gotten the 150). Is there anything I can do or is this expected? Would adding the express tube be worth it? Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere. Thanks.

Welcome to the club JSB and congrats on the new Bennie.

Yes, these issues have been discussed over and over and over.

A couple of things you did not mention are your rpm's and what prop size is on the motor. If I were you, I would let your dealer know you are not satisfied with the speed. A good dealer will work with you on getting it propped out right. I would probably wait until after the break in period, however i don't think you will see much change in speed after the break in.

Good luck and happy rooming.

JSP: +1 on the above comment. I think you're running a little slow, too.

Talking RPM's and propellers: Are you trimming the motor up to get the optimum speed, and are you approaching 6000 rpm's with a relatively light load? Will your engine exceed 6000 rpm's? If you answer no or yes respectively, a propeller change may be warranted.

Another question is what brand of propeller do you have. I just don't hear as good of performance from most non-Yamaha brand aluminum props. Of course, stainless props will add a little more speed and much more durability.

Twin toons plow (displace) through the water, and they simply have speed limitations. Getting the nosecones out of the water is the key to speed and efficiency, and it takes a set of strakes to do this. I personally believe any boat with 115 hp or more should have strakes.

My old twin toon Starcraft with a Yamaha 115 hp two stroke will accelerate like a bass boat--until it hits "the wall". And all of a sudden, it just won't go faster.

Talk to your dealer before you get too many hours on the boat. He should want completely happy customers.

Thanks for all the help. I will talk to the dealer tomorrow. I am approaching 6000 rpm and I don't know what kind or size of prop I have as I am having too much fun on the water. I had 5 adults and 5 kids on the boat today and what a blast! As I am new to boating, I have been playing with trim a bit and I think I have it right but who knows. Is strakes something I can add now, after the sale? I was going to see about putting in the express center tube as well.

The Bennington strakes are very much engineered items--not simple aluminum angle. If you're often carrying 10 people onboard, the Express Tube w/strakes might be a good way to go--and they appear easily installed. They also improve handling if you're into tubing/water sports.

Even if Bennington could or would supply strakes, it would take an excellent welder to install them.

I'll be cruising with my 150 hp and Express Tubes @ 18-22 mph. If I throw the throttle to it, the front end goes up, and a big gust of wind feels like it lifts the whole boat. I'm quickly @ 39.5 or 40 mph GPS with the 15 pitch Reliance prop. It's a really good ride. Anything over 30 mph is pretty fast in a pontoon--scaring passengers.

Hi JSP, I have a very similar boat and with that number of people on board you are getting what I would expect. I was hitting 27 on GPS the day after I broke it in, after a few months of being in the water I get 25 mph. With 5 aduilts and 5 kids on board you are doing well to do 22mph. My prop is 13.5 x 15 aluminum

Bennington does offer factory strakes. Your dealer can order them for you and they come with measurements of where to mount them. You will have to find a GOOD welder to mount them as you do not want any holes burnt thru your tubes.

Are your pontoons clean or fouled? I have a similar boat and engine and am getting 23 - 24 GPS, and my toons are fouled. Tried a pressure washer over the weekend, but it only took off the top coat of crud. Some Gords may be in my near future. And if you are considering strakes, I'd highly suggest you make sure your toons are as clean as you can get them before you have the strakes welded on.

Are your pontoons clean or fouled? I have a similar boat and engine and am getting 23 - 24 GPS, and my toons are fouled. Tried a pressure washer over the weekend, but it only took off the top coat of crud. Some Gords may be in my near future. And if you are considering strakes, I'd highly suggest you make sure your toons are as clean as you can get them before you have the strakes welded on.
My toons are 3 days old, sitting on lifts now. I appreciate all the suggestions. My delivery guy said I should expect to pay $4000 to have the express tubes put on with center strakes only. Does this sound reasonable? Damn. Now that I have the boat, I have this uncontrollable urge to upgrade the performance. I think I need at least 30mph with 2 people so I have tube pulling speed with 10 people.

Hi JSP, I have a very similar boat and with that number of people on board you are getting what I would expect. I was hitting 27 on GPS the day after I broke it in, after a few months of being in the water I get 25 mph. With 5 aduilts and 5 kids on board you are doing well to do 22mph. My prop is 13.5 x 15 aluminum
That's good to know. I may have trusted my dealer too much...should have looked on this forum first for the real story. Thanks.

I would talk to another dealer about the Express Tube addition. They come from the factory with a MSRP of $1,842. $4K sounds unreasonable.

And, I don't think they're very hard to install.

Someone on the forum said the holes are already drilled for installation.

One thing I didn't pickup is whether your boat is underskinned. It also makes a difference in performance, and would be something every Bennington with a 90 hp or more could certainly use. The boat's so much quieter and smoother when you hit waves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt you will achieve tubing speeds with 10 people and a 115 on the back no matter what you have under the boat. Thats a lot of weight.

I would talk to another dealer about the Express Tube addition. They come from the factory with a MSRP of $1,842. $4K sounds unreasonable.

And, I don't think they're very hard to install.

Someone on the forum said the holes are already drilled for installation.

One thing I didn't pickup is whether your boat is underskinned. It also makes a difference in performance, and would be something every Bennington with a 90 hp or more could certainly use. The boat's so much quieter and smoother when you hit waves.
I do not have underskinning. I'll probably add that later over the winter. After speaking with the dealer today, I will change my prop for no cost but an upgrade to 150 hp motor will cost me $3800 and he's pricing out express tube package in writing. Other option is exchange to demo 2012 2275 GCW tritoon 150 hp got additional 14k. Jeesh. Problem is I have talked with 3 different guys there and they give me 3 different answers.

Bennington does offer factory strakes. Your dealer can order them for you and they come with measurements of where to mount them. You will have to find a GOOD welder to mount them as you do not want any holes burnt thru your tubes.
Thanks. My dealer wont do any more welding. They will transport the boat to the factory in Elkhart Indiana for me . I like that idea.

Back