New owner of used Bennington

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
Hello to all,
we just bought my brother's 2007 Bennington 2575 RL Super Sport. This is our first boat (other than my old 18' Hobiecat), so I've been reading through this forum a lot in preparation.

We had decided to get a pontoon boat a few years ago, so there was no decision there. When my brother's boat came available, that simplified things also - no decisions on model or accessories other than picking a trailer (he kept the boat on a lift in a boathouse). More on the trailer later.

My brother, as was typical for him, loaded the boat up with whatever options were available at the time. What I've noted so far:
  • Mercruiser 5.0L Alpha MTI with only 110 hours (he didn't get a chance to use it much)
  • Hydraulic steering
  • Optional bow seat (I've seen comments pro/con this seat, and I'm not sure this will stay in the boat)
  • Alpine stereo
  • Garmin fishfinder
  • Single bimini
  • Full strakes
  • Gas tank: the difficult-to-read label seems to indicate 62 gallons!!! Could this be accurate?
Its an impressive boat - although we only got a 20-minute test ride before we had to load in on the trailer and head home to Houston from Tyler, TX. We're towing with a F150 5.0L V-8 with 4WD.

I researched trailers for a long time. We also have a 30-foot Airstream that I tow with a diesel F250; at 8,000 lbs on 2 axles, it can get a lot of induced sway from wind and big-rigs. We got a Hensley Arrow anti-sway hitch to fix that problem, but a Hensley won't work on compression-brake trailers. So, I got a big 3-axle rig from Mid-America Trailers (trailersforpontoons.com), counting on the 3rd axle to help reduce sway. This will be an always-trailered boat, and nothing in Texas is close, so we'll drive a minimum of one hour to put the boat into the water.

20171112_165341(0) (1).jpg

When we go camping, I'll drive the big Airstream and my Chief Mate will be driving the boat, and she likes things stable (not sure why she married me, but that's another story). That was the main reason for getting what might be overkill on the trailer. After towing for 175 miles yesterday, it towed like a dream! I don't know how it would have done with 2 axles, obviously, but I'm happy with having spent the incrementally small cost for a 3rd axle.

I hope the picture uploaded OK... I'll post more later.

Some questions:
  1. Like every I/O power boat I've been in, the trim indicator is incorrect. Any way to calibrate it?
  2. Can the gas tank really be 62 gallons?
  3. The hydraulic steering seems tight, and kind of 'klunky'. Any comments or suggestions
  4. The throttle/shifter is pretty sloppy. Hard to put into forward or reverse, hard to move, difficult to tell when in neutral. Maybe its suffering from lack of use? Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help... I hope to see some of you around Texas (Hill Country lakes, Clear Lake, Lake Livingston, Lake Conroe... others TBD)

Kevin & Tricia

p.s. my 'handle' is from the Airstream owner's forum. Hers is 'Tin Fairy'. We will definitely be 'miles of aluminum' when we're towing both to a campground/lake!!!!

Last edited:
I/O's are usually power steering. Make sure the belt on the pump is tight and the fluid is full. Grease all the pivot points on the outdrive. It can have that big a tank. Mine is 50 some gallons. It gets your attention when you tell the gas dock to put a hundred dollars of gas and the gauge moves 1/4 of the tank.

Very smart getting a big trailer. Mine came with an undersized trailer. It is falling apart. If i had to tow more that 5 miles twice a year, I would have to replace it.

Very smart getting a big trailer. Mine came with an undersized trailer. It is falling apart. If i had to tow more that 5 miles twice a year, I would have to replace it.
The trim limit switch is on the left and right of the motor. ! side moves the guage and the other controls the length of travel for the outdrive. On the switches is a screw that needs loosened, then you can turn the switch, Have someone watch the guage as you turn it. if the outdrive is down all the way, turn the switch until the guage registers the same. Hope this helps.

Nice to have another camping and boating family aboard, welcome. My wife tows our 22 on a two axle and has had no issues, nice that your thinking of her.;)

Very nice!
Our I/O has a 52 gallon tank. Filled it up a buncha times this summer.
Our mechanic greased the shifter/throttle cable a couple years ago. It will "clunk" into and out of gear.

Congrats on the new boat, looks fantastic.... and yes I’m jealous of that trailer! I tow all the time so I️ can appreciate the thought there.

Congrats on the new boat! We love the lake Conroe area. Also went over and visited Livingston last year. Cool area.

My previous boat was a VP I/O and it did have a bit of a "clunk" compared with my Merc OB. I'd second Big Kahuna's suggestion to grease the cable. Congratulations and welcome!

Congratulations on the pontoon. Sounds like you have a good game plan, and are going to get lots of great use out of this gently used Bennington.

Back