New Pontoon Magazine Out: The 22 Shoot Out

LaurencetheAdventurer

Reaction score
The February edition of the Pontoon & Deck Boat magazine arrived - they had a nice 2022 Shoot Out spread featuring a lot of TriToons. The 30 QS x2 was the second most expensive at $284K, but it "only" had 2 300's, vs the $328K Manitou with 2 450's - so really not apples to apples. The article just reinforced my Benny Choice - you can see all the amazing features and attention to details our Benny's offer! The only "other toon" feature I would love to try is the Manitou Larger Center Toon - seems that would provide an interesting V hull type turning experience - but really don't like their furniture - does not look comfy! The Magazine is certainly fun to read and it reminds me: Summer is coming!

Attachments

• 2022-02-09 08.20.40.jpg
    2022-02-09 08.20.40.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2022-02-09 08.21.02.jpg
    2022-02-09 08.21.02.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 2022-02-09 08.21.22.jpg
    2022-02-09 08.21.22.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 62
The February edition of the Pontoon & Deck Boat magazine arrived - they had a nice 2022 Shoot Out spread featuring a lot of TriToons. The 30 QS x2 was the second most expensive at $284K, but it "only" had 2 300's, vs the $328K Manitou with 2 450's - so really not apples to apples. The article just reinforced my Benny Choice - you can see all the amazing features and attention to details our Benny's offer! The only "other toon" feature I would love to try is the Manitou Larger Center Toon - seems that would provide an interesting V hull type turning experience - but really don't like their furniture - does not look comfy! The Magazine is certainly fun to read and it reminds me: Summer is coming!
Yup our magazine just came in. Crazy prices on those beautiful boats! What a job Brady Kay has testing them all! Carl (CWAG911) and I were featured in an article back in the day in that magazine. We both were members of their PDB forum before joining this one! Now I've got to dig that issue out of the box somewhere!

One more thing....A friend of mine bought a Manitou with that SHP or V Toon hull this past summer. We met up and hung out a few times but I haven't experienced the ride yet. But I can attest to the comfort of his seating/upholstery. Very plush like my old Bennington R.....

My nabor has a 2020 25' Manatou with a 250 Evinrude, Big center tube. Ride is good and it hauls but, 50+ MPH, Smoked my 23'RSB w/ Yamaha Sho 250 easily.

My nabor has a 2020 25' Manatou with a 250 Evinrude, Big center tube. Ride is good and it hauls but, 50+ MPH, Smoked my 23'RSB w/ Yamaha Sho 250 easily.
Correct me if I am wrong David G, but you have a bow rider hull on an R series. Correct?

The bowrider hull is going to be the slowest running version of a Bennington “tritoon”. The R series a bit heavier boat, and then you had that heavy arch on it as well.

Not a good comparison for performance!

To compare performance with the Manatou, one needs to be running same length boat without a sport arch, on an ESP hull.The Bennington ESP hull is going to be the best performance hull comparison to the Manitou SHP v-toon hull. SPS would be the next best comparison. Your bow rider would be the worst due to It’s shape and drag.

Correct me if I am wrong David G, but you have a bow rider hull on an R series. Correct?

The bowrider hull is going to be the slowest running version of a Bennington “tritoon”. The R series a bit heavier boat, and then you had that heavy arch on it as well.

Not a good comparison for performance!

To compare performance with the Manatou, one needs to be running same length boat without a sport arch, on an ESP hull.The Bennington ESP hull is going to be the best performance hull comparison to the Manitou SHP v-toon hull. SPS would be the next best comparison. Your bow rider would be the worst due to It’s shape and drag.
I would not even think of running my Bowrider against his. It was my last boat, a 2020 23 RFB w/ 250 Yamaha, It would go 45-46 MPH, He left me from the get go..
My Bowrider is a turd. 41 MPH Max w/ a 300

The G2 was a great engine that few wanted to buy. Very quick out of the hole, more torque and less maintenance (IIRC the first scheduled item was at 300 hours or more). BRP was fighting a losing battle against the 4 strokes, dealer network was sparse and so it seems they're re-focusing their efforts and R&D around the Rotax.

The new Mercs are supposedly every bit as good as the G2's. Bennington has hitched their cart to Yamaha so let's hope they (Yam) step up with some more modern offerings that can make our boats haul the mail!

I would not even think of running my Bowrider against his. It was my last boat, a 2020 23 RFB w/ 250 Yamaha, It would go 45-46 MPH, He left me from the get go..
My Bowrider is a turd. 41 MPH Max w/ a 300
That makes more sense. Thought you’d be closer with your old boat. But as you pointed out, those G2 Evinrudes could really lay down some speed when dialed in.

Cannot remember the member from a couple years ago, but he was ALL IN on Everudes…ALL…THE…TIME. I swear he was a Evinrude dealer as hard as he pushed them. That said, I liked his passion for his motor. I am just about as chummy with my Mercury Verado.

Yeah..the bow rider is a very cool looking layout and boat. Just compromises performance a decent amount. 41mph is still nice though given everything else that’s neat about your boat. My guess is you could get a couple more MPH if not for the weight of the arch. That said, I do LOVE the look of your sport arch. You do have a sweet looking boat!!! Top end performance isn’t everything.

Nobody had a 600 in the shootout?

Nobody had a 600 in the shootout?
My dealer here in NC was prepping a Mercury 600 for the boat show that was held here this past weekend. That thing is huge! $80000 and it weighs over 1200 lbs.

I had no idea there was such a magazine. Thanks for posting the pics of the article.

I had no idea there was such a magazine. Thanks for posting the pics of the article.
So funny you said that....as either did I! After seeing that I signed up for a subscription. So many videos to watch out there but did not know there was a printed/digital magazine that covered this specific segment.

Last edited:
Back