New To The Forum

lovelacei8

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the pontoon world. Bought a new 2016 SLX this week. It has 60 hp Mercury 4 stroke Command thrust. I'm 7.5 hours into break in. My question is at wot I'm only hitting 4200 rims. Not sure on prop but seems bad low. I feel like I could swim faster than I'm going. Other than that I love the boat and all the room it has. 

Welcome to the family, and yes, it seems like you have the wrong prop. Do you know what size it is?

Add hull type and speed too so someone with the same setup can tell you what your target should be.

It's the SLX 20 with 25 inch logs. Not tritoon. The prop is 13.8x13. Not sure on speed. The thing on speed is I also own a bass boat so anything under 60 is slow to me. Had to get something for the whole family. 

How many people were on the boat at the time? Weight and people placement make a big difference on a pontoon. Since the boat only has two toons, the boat will be plowing through the water instead of skimming on the top like the bass boat. Slow is still very enjoyable as a lot on this forum will tell you. If the family gets into boating on a pontoon, sounds like PADS may be coming! We'll all stay tuned. Happy Pontooning.

Just two of us on first trip had 5 yesterday. Rpm didn't change speed seemed about the same. Going out in a few gonna try to gps it to get exact speed. Actually enjoying slowing down and looking around. 4200 may be fine for this boat but being bass boat minded max rpm means max speed. Thanks for the input. 

A max RPM of 4200 can't be good for your motor and you probably are lugging it.

Seems like the prop has too much pitch, but someone will weigh in here with a similar setup.  Or you can check the props and power section and see if you can find the data.

I wouldn't push the motor too hard until you get this figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back