New Yamaha outboard issues

Booboo

Reaction score
I ordered a new 2275GCW last December 29th 2012 . It was delivered in late winter/early spring 2013. From the day it was delivered, I have had issues with the new 9.9hp Yamaha four-stroke which came with the new boat. When I moved it from the dealer's delivery trailer to the dock for storage, it would barely start, run or idle. The same was true the first time I tried to use the pontoon; I gave up and headed back to the dock. Yesterday, I tried a second time and it took me thirty minutes to start the motor. Once it was running, it would not idle, stumbled badly, shook the boat and died numerous times. I aborted the trip and head back to the dock, where it stalled when I tired to dock in cross winds. My wife is unhappy because she is unable to safely use the boat when I am away. As of today, the motor has roughly one or two hours on the hour meter and is under warranty for seven years. We don't have a trailer and we do not move boats in/out of our lake due to Zebra Mussel rules. My Bennington dealer (about 50 miles away) is shorthanded and says it would be tough for him to make it to my boat this summer for repairs. The Godfrey dealer (also 50 miles away and mad because I bought a Bennington this time) is the second Yamaha dealer in my area. They are too busy to make service calls and because I didn't buy the boat from them, I am low priority. The local Cabelas shop is a Yamaha dealer only ten minutes away but they do not make dock calls and they are swamped with business. The gas was fresh when my Bennington dealer delivered my boat. The fuel tank is only three gallons and fuel has been treated; it's nearly full of the original fuel. There are a dozen older 9.9hp Yamahas on my lake, which run great. QUESTIONS: How do I get warranty service? Should I be required to pay for anything? Will Yamaha allow a local non-dealer to make repairs? Is my dealer obligated to help me?

Sorry to hear of your problems with a brand new motor. The best route is certainly to continue working through your original dealer. I had a similar situation a few years ago with a different brand. When the dealer could not service me directly for various reasons, and I wasn't able to tow it to him, I ended up escalating it with the manufacturer. They typically have traveling area reps who provide training, service, and troubleshooting help to the dealers directly. He actually came to my dock, while in the area for other dealer visits, and was able to troubleshoot it right there. I have no idea if that's possible in your case, but most states have a 3 strike lemon law in place, so they definitely don't want to get in that situation.

Just re-reading your post, it still sounds like bad gas or maybe a collapsing primer bulb, bad connection, etc. Can you hook up a different portable tank and gas line?

Everything is shiny and new, including fuel line, tank, motor. The fuel delivery equipment is different now because of new EPA rules, which could be a contributing factor. I am very mechanically-inclined, have rebuilt motors and carbs. However, I paid for a new boat/motor/warranty. I could void the warranty if I begin serious tinkering. The Sceptor branded fuel tank and fittings came from Yamaha with the motor (so I was told by dealer). I decided against using the Bennington onboard fuel tank because we use so little fuel in a season and modern ethanol-laden fuel spoils very quickly these days (condensation and separation). Does anyone reading this string have these new plastic fuel fittings. If so, have you experienced problems?

P1000050.jpg

P1000051.jpg

P1000052.jpg

P1000053.jpg

P1000054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if i had a problem during delivery it would have gone right back on the dealers trailer, and back to them.

But that is water under the bridge now, and it is a Yamaha service issue, not a Bennington issue, unless you can't work it out with your dealer.

For now, i would agree with Tom, drain the old fuel, check the fuel filter, lines and bulb and give it another try.

Also, keep in mind that it is the owners responsibility to return the boat for service, some dealers offer pick up or dock service, and some don't.

Lastly, draining the fuel, and checking things are not going to void your warranty, so you have to make the call as to getting it back to the dealer, or getting your hands dirty.

I asked the dealer to delay delivery. The dealer claimed they had no space for my boat and forced me to take delivery of the boat when there was lots of snow on the ground. Who the heck thought it might snow through April? Furthermore, I assumed the rough running motor was due to the below freezing temps during delivery. The service request delay was not due to my complacency; it was the weather. It snowed over 48 inches after I took delivery; I cleared the snow off the playpen cover four or five times in a month. It warmed-up and stopped raining about Memorial weekend. Then, it got hot. You know as you live nearby.

I agree it sounds like a leak in the fuel line somewhere, possibly the bulb. I would start with the changing bulb & fuel line. Also check the quick disconnect on lines as i hd one crack at a year old. Does it have a water separator ?? Change that also. I really don't think it's the motor, but a "fuel system" issue.

You could try calling Yamaha at (866)894-1626 and see what they suggest.

Good luck!

Jack

Well dang, BooBoo, sounds like your dealer kinda forced you to take it when you weren't ready for it.

Is there anyone close by with a trailer you could borrow to get it back to the dealer or Cabelas?

Otherwise, a few minutes of checking it out may produce an easy fix.................

I would rip a strip off my dealer. I understand that people are busy, but they should have an obligation to help you out. I know, I know, owner needs to bring it to them, but if he is a stand up guy he will understand that you can't and have no way of bringing it to him. If he tells you he's too busy, remind him that he wasn't too busy to sell it to you. I would also point out to him that Bennington sends out satisfaction reviews for each purchase, and right now, his isn't looking too good. I know my dealer insists on a water test and we go through the check list and I sign off on it all, so either your dealer forged your signature, or just didn't do it. Not to mention the fact that he obviously didn't even water test it himself! That doesn't seem right to me.

I hate to appear to be a lazy, so I spent two hours at the dock this afternoon performing the following mundane tasks: 1) Removed new dealer-supplied portable EPA-qualified, 3-gallon fuel tank and drained fuel provided by dealer. 2) Re-filled same tank with fresh fuel and marine ethanol stabilizer. 3) Removed and drained the new EPA-qualified fuel lines provided by dealer. 4) Removed and replaced the factory-installed Yamaha fuel/water separator with new cartridge from Cabelas. 5) Disconnected the in-line Yamaha factory-installed plastic in-line fuel filter, drained fuel and re-installed. 6) Made sure the vent on the cap of the new portable fuel tank was open. 7) Drained the fuel from the Yamaha 9.9hp carburetor bowl, which is very easy because the drain cock is very accessible. 8) Put it all back together and pumped primer bulb to re-pressurize the fuel supply system. Pressure holds well while motor is not running. 9) Attempted to restart, which took a few minutes, with or without choking. Motor would not idle, so it was necessary to start and run in higher out-of-gear idle. Motor surges and oscillates regardless of neutral throttle position. If throttle is left in low idle position, the motor will run roughly 30 seconds and then sputter and eventually die. Fuel primer bulb stays firm all-the-while. MY GUESS is that the carburetor has a spec of plastic, rubber or dirt in a jet or passage way. OR, that the new 9.9hp motor is not designed to work with the new after market (non-Yamaha) EPA-qualified fuel delivery system. OR, that the motor has a factory-set air-fuel adjustment destined for a customer at a different altitude. I HAVE NOTICED, that this carburetor differs from the earlier 9.9hp carburetors. I TOOK PICTURES and I will attach them for your review. The fuel tank and fuel line connections are very different from those just one year older. THANKS for your support and suggestions. I have owned quite a few Yamaha motors and never experienced problems that I could not quickly solve or pay someone else to quickly solve. I added pictures this morning...look up the string.

Well I'd say you covered the "fuel" side of it ....... sounds like the dealer needs to step up now.

I'd be so frustrated after that, all 100 lbs of it would be unbolted and dropped on their doorstep with a sack of smelly stuff. I agree the dealer really needs to step up or you escalate it to Yamaha. This shouldn't be YOUR problem, it's theirs.

I do agree with your educated guess of something in the carb blocking the flow of fuel. Seen this many times before and it typically appears with new motors of all types.

Some people don't like to do this but.... get a spray can of starting fluid, preferably with lubricant in it, start it and have someone spray directly into the carb. If it picks up and runs you know it's the carb. because you bypass the jets, etc. Steve

Some people don't like to do this but.... get a spray can of starting fluid, preferably with lubricant in it, start it and have someone spray directly into the carb. If it picks up and runs you know it's the carb. because you bypass the jets, etc. Steve
. Frankly, starter fluid seems the best may to start my new motor. BooBoo

BooBoo, i will throw out one more suggestion, since the bowl drain is easy to get too, remove the drain plug, stuff some rags directly below it, get a can of carb cleaner or non chlorinated brake parts cleaner, stick the spray straw into the bowl drain and flush the bowl out.

This may dislodge the obstruction with any luck,

BooBoo, i will throw out one more suggestion, since the bowl drain is easy to get too, remove the drain plug, stuff some rags directly below it, get a can of carb cleaner or non chlorinated brake parts cleaner, stick the spray straw into the bowl drain and flush the bowl out.

This may dislodge the obstruction with any luck,
Excellent suggestion.

I recently purchased my Benny about 100 miles from Lake of the Ozarks.

For Yamaha warranty service and scheduled maintenance I will use a certified Yamaha dealer listed on the Yamaha web site.

You may find a Marina on your lake that is certified for Yamaha repair. I assume they will come to your dock for any service now and in the future.

That is bummer Booboo. Don't feel guilty about using a warranty. That is why you bought new. Have you called the dealer, Yamaha?

Update: Bennington dealer too busy/too far/too reluctant to help. Went to next nearest Yamaha dealer, which happens to be where I bought my last three new Aqua Patios. They bent over backwards to help and showed-up at my dock two days ago. As soon as the technician arrived, the clouds got thicker and thunder rumbled. After an hour of fiddling and tweaking, the tech told me it would take another visit. He had replaced the fuel line, fuel tank, installed a new carb kit and re-adjusted everything and decided the carburetor must be faulty. More later.

Back