Newbie To the Site and possible owner

LakeRat1

Reaction score
Osage Beach Missouri - Lake of the Ozarks
I am new to the site, but have been boating my entire life........I know to find out opinions to find a good forum, so this is what I am doing and I will be a contributor in the future.

I have recently sold my cruiser and am going to purchase a tri-toon, I have been looking at several different manufacutures and I keep coming back to the Bennington.

I have a condo at Lake of the Ozarks, Saturdays' are brutal on most all boats, but we enjoy coving out, as well, during the week, the grandkids enjoy cruising, will learn to ski, wakeboard, and tube in a couple more years, as they are 2 and 3.

I am looking at a 2012 2575 RCW with a Yamaho 250 including a trailer, 28 hours......It has the ESP Package, Lifting Strakes, elipticle center tube, most all options.

Questions:

What can I expect for WOT?

How will this boat perform in rough water?

What is a ball park figure of what this is worth?

The boat will sit on my lift, but the lift will need to be re-worked, what is the preferred configuration of the lift?

By the looks of the pics on the Bennington web page and videos, this boat will be perfect for family boating, fishing, cruising, skiing, relaxin.....if you have first hand experience tell me the pros and cons of this model

Thanks

Rich :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum. :) My boat doesn't compare but there are members with similar setups. I'm sure they will chime in eventually but here's some stats in the meantime.

WILL B's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2575 RCW LTD
  • Model Year --------- 2011
  • Tube Option -------- ESP Performance Strakes and shield
  • Power Option ----- 2012 Mercury Verado 250
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Mercury Enertia 15
  • Performance ------ 46 mph @ 6300rpm on GPS - choppy water, one adult two children, 2/3 tank fuel(approx 40G).

LT1GMC's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2574GLi
  • Tube Option -------- ESP
  • Power Option ----- 250 Mercury Verado Pro
  • Prop Specs ---------- Enertia 14.50Dia x 17"pitch
  • Performance ------ 51.0 mph @ 6360rpm on GPS (2 adults on board)

SLOWRIDES's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2574 GCW
  • Model Year --------- 2012
  • Tube Option -------- ESP Package with Wave Shield
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha 250hp - 4-Stroke
  • Prop Specs ---------- Yamaha Salt Water Series 15X15.5
  • Performance ------ 42mph @ 6000rpm

GERRY's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2575 RCW
  • Model Year --------- 2012
  • Tube Option -------- ESP w/center fuel tank & storage
  • Power Option ----- Honda 225hp - 4-Stroke
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade SS Mercury Enertia 14.75 - 16p
  • Performance ------ 42 MPH @ 6,000 RPM

TRUTH's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2575 RCW
  • Tube Option -------- Tri-toon w/ESP
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha 250 VMax SHO
  • Prop Specs ---------- 3 Blade Stainless steel Mercury Mirage Plus 17 pitch
  • Performance ------ 42mph @ 6,000rpm

DRAGO's BOAT:

• Boat Model --------- 2577 RFSi
  • Model Year --------- 2007
  • Tube Option -------- 25" Triple Tube w/six 6" strakes
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha F225 4 stroke
  • Prop Specs ----------3 Blade 14.25 x 17p Stainless Solas
  • Performance ------ 43mph @ 6200rpm

How will this boat perform in rough water? It's a big boat with full length triple toons and it'll perform great in rough water.

What is a ball park figure of what this is worth? I'll have to ask you to go to the internet and/or Boattrader.com. This boat is virtually new. My dealer is wanting $41,900 for a 2011 model 2575RCW with a Yamaha 150 hp and 27 hours. The 250 hp would be worth $4000 approximately more.

The boat will sit on my lift, but the lift will need to be re-worked, what is the preferred configuration of the lift? It depends on what kind of lift--floating? overhead frame? cantilever style? See how your neighbors mount large boats on comparable lifts. I prefer support under the toons lengthwise.

By the looks of the pics on the Bennington web page and videos, this boat will be perfect for family boating, fishing, cruising, skiing, relaxin.....if you have first hand experience tell me the pros and cons of this model You're right about the RCW being perfect for most people's use. Bennington is about as good in quality as they come, the company is very customer oriented and back their products with strong warranties. The R and it's even more expensive Q models are truly luxurious boats, and that luxury does come at a price. But used Benningtons are seldom seen sitting at any dealership's used lot as they sell really fast.

Have you considered tabling your purchase a month until the big city Boat Shows start up? It can be quite an education in purchasing a boat. The creme will rise to the top, and it'll usually be a Bennington. You might also save some money when all competitors are under the same roof.

Welcome to the party LakeRat1. As Bamaman stated, wait for the boat shows to start and you'll be able to compare toons and prices. That boat you mentioned is perfect for what you'll be doing with it and you can't beat a Benny. B)

Thank You for the information.......I have time, but I was able to find a used one with less than 30 hours from an individual......and it as a trailer......By buying from an individual I will not have to pay Sales Tax :) , I know what he gave and he is asking about 10k less.......So between that and the Sales Tax.....I am thinking this is an OK deal.....Hell I don't know ..... LOL

So top speed on this with the Yamaha 250 HO will be around 43? I was thinking more like 48mph ..... It has the Lifting strakes, shielding under neath as well......Is this really all I will get out of her?

I have a 12,000 Galvi Lift, it is currently setup for my old cruiser, I was thinking I would have three sets of runners installed, the toons would sit evenly front to back on all three ----This is how most of my neigbors have their's setup

I am really concerned on the speed.....It has the center 56 gallon tank......what can I really expect?

Are there any cons, will the boat hold up at Lake of the Ozarks.....of course I will not be stupid in in the rough water, but I would like to run 30 MPH to head to a cove or restaurant in very choppy water, will we get wet, etc.....

I had a 24 Sun Tracker Signature pontoon for one season, needless to say, welds broke and we were constantly getting wet....boat would only do 28 mph, with a 90hp mercury.......I like the toon, just the quality and performance was not there

Looking for your opinions

Thanks again

Rich

It sounds as if you're satsified with the price. Have no reservations on the quality of the boat or the performance on your truly wavy, busy lake.

It's hard to tell exactly what your boat will run, but my 150 hp Benny runs 40 mph at 6000 rpms with a Reliance 15 pitch prop. At 30 mph, the wind gets under the hulls of these boats and they lift like a tunnel hull. I seldom get over 30 mph.

Finding such a boat from an individual is rare, as people just don't let go of these boats--unless they're upgrading to another Bennie. Jump on it and run. Then take the winter to get your lift modified. Sounds as if you won't have any problem lifting a toon if you've had a cruiser on it.

You are correct about the sales tax, that could easily amount to $ 3,000 or more. Personally I feel too many people get caught up in the speed factor. The low 40s to me is plenty fast. It does anything I need to do. Someone on this forum this last spring or summer had a good description of the non comfort level after about 35 mph. I agree. The boat shows will be here in about a month, as Carl and Bama said, you should know where you stand then, However my RCW comparably equipped with the 225 Honda "listed" for over $ 82 k. You could have another $ 8 k in trade-in on a larger motor. Gerry

I have a 2012 QCW 2575 with the ESP package (tri-toon with the elipticla center log and inboard lifting strakes) and a 250 Yamaha and the same 56 gallon center gas tank and get 43mph with a full tank and 4 adults. As for the ride in rough water, I went from a Searay 240 Sundeck to the Bennington and the ride of my Benny is far better in rough water than the Searay. I don't think you will have any regrets on the performance.

Jack

The pontoon at speed handles rough water by slicing through the waves. The thing to watch out for is coming off plane in rough water. I have buried the nose and had water come over and through the fence. No damage but you can bend the fence. The rule now is in really rough water ( we can get 3 ft waves ) everybody sits in the middle or back of the boat to keep the nose up. Also no fast stops if possible. Let the boat settle.

Do any of you boat at Lake of the Ozarks? I have a condo around the 20.5 MM, while I am in a cove, I am always headed up or down the main channel..... Will the Bennington handle the Saturday Water at 30MPH, or are we going to be misserable?

A Benny will handle anything!!

Welcome to the forum Lakerat. I have a similar setup to what you are looking at with a 2275 RCW esp w/Yamaha 250 hp SHO. My Benny is loaded up with most of the options including the center fuel tank. I hit 47mph in perfect conditions and expect the boat you are looking at to get 42-43 at WOT. It is a very impressive boat for all of the things you describe. Speed was very important to me in the beginning but not so much now. I do like the fact that I can get back to my boathouse quickly in inclement weather.

This setup handles rough water well and is quite luxurious. Most of our guest cannot believe how nice this boat is.

Good luck!

LakeRat1,

We boat on the Colorado River on the Parker Az. Strip during the summers, the water gets rough in the afternoon on the weekends due to heavy boat traffic. We get a good laugh when we cruise (30 mph plus) by the V-hull boats taking it easy because they are getting beat up! It upsets them to be passed by a "Pontoon Boat" so they speed up only to be passed again by the "Pontoon Boat" again when it get to rough for them! When the water gets really rough the other boats head for the shore, In our 2012 Bennington 22SSI we keep on boating, wife and dogs really enjoy the smooth ride of the 3 tube XL Performance Package! This is our second Bennington, our first one was a 2006 2275 3RL 5.0L IO. Both boats have fantastic smooth rides!

Riverbill

Looks like I am almost a Bennington Owner......I plan to pickup my new to me 2012 2575 RCW with the 250 SHO Yamaha......In three to four weeks....(Mrs. LakeRat thinks we need a vacation before picking up the boat) <_<

I have the snap in carpet.....what are the opinions of the people, leave the carpet in or pull it out?

Does the carpet have the rubber backing that will stick to the floor, (My cruiser carpet did this, and it was a pain in (#) to clean off

Also, what winterization will I need to perform next winter when I leave the boat on my lift at the lake......Fuel Stabilizer....anything else.....I would like to take her out a couple time per month, between November through March, then begin boating way more often.......

One last question.....it does not have the optional ski tow.......how much are they (estimate), will this be a problem to install?

I have not see the boat I am buying, only pics.....as I am 13 hours away.......

Any assistance is once agan, greatly appreciated

Thank You

LakeRat

My dealer in the ozarks says the SHO 250 Yamaha is not a good choice for the 2575 RCW, is this true

91 octane is mostly sold on the water where I'm located, did not know this motor required premium......this should not be a problem......boat will be on my lift.....

Based on what you guys are saying ..... I should be ok with this setup, correct?

My dealer in the ozarks says the SHO 250 Yamaha is not a good choice for the 2575 RCW, is this true
When I spoke to TB at the Club event in Elkhart, the advice was they preferred the other Yamaha 250 on their demo boats, I think because of the torque curve rather than stronger high rpm running. I thought long and hard about it because the other brand boat I drove with the 250 SHO was terrific, but I ultimately ordered a Merc Verado 250 Pro on my 2275 RCWL coming in the spring.

I think it would be hard to go wrong with the SHO myself. The only limitation is it only comes in 20" shaft length and takes premium fuel.

Did the dealer say why the SHO 250 was not a good choice? I have the regular Yamaha 250 on my 2575 QCW and love it so I think it would be a good option for you to consider.

Jack

The deal on the Bennington was closed this past weekend......Thank You for the feedback and opinions......Once my lift is ready, I will go and get the boat and take her down to Lake of the Ozarks........

Back