Newbie: toons, power, performance choices..

I had installed by the dealer and paid $2,800 for it. It costs about the same on a new boat MSRP. You’re not getting your discount on it.. I will tell you if you can swing it, do it. It changes the whole dynamic of the SPS Tritoon system. You will maximize that set-up. If you do it, you should push your dealer to have the warranty apply to the install. I was able to do that.

Unfortunately the dealer can't (won't) file the install under warranty since the boat is only a couple weeks old. They are firm on the $2700 price. I asked if it would be included in the Bennington warranty and they also said no since it's not considered a "factory installed option". I should have done my homework better, I guess. There was never any mention from the salesperson about "power assisted steering" or what the difference was. Since there's apparently no benefit to having my dealer do this I'm going to put out some feelers to local marine shops that are authorized Yamaha service centers to see if I can get this done a little cheaper. I don't want to attempt this myself. I know my limitations. lol Do you think that having an outside shop do this is wise or should I just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it?

I installed the pump myself. That being said, if you're not comfortable with it then don't attempt it. It is not a Yamaha only steering so what motor you have doesn't matter with whoever does the install. We have a Honda.

Unfortunately the dealer can't (won't) file the install under warranty since the boat is only a couple weeks old. They are firm on the $2700 price. I asked if it would be included in the Bennington warranty and they also said no since it's not considered a "factory installed option". I should have done my homework better, I guess. There was never any mention from the salesperson about "power assisted steering" or what the difference was. Since there's apparently no benefit to having my dealer do this I'm going to put out some feelers to local marine shops that are authorized Yamaha service centers to see if I can get this done a little cheaper. I don't want to attempt this myself. I know my limitations. lol Do you think that having an outside shop do this is wise or should I just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it?

My situation may have been different as I asked about Power Aasit and was told I did not need it. They told me it would be fine. I thought it was harder to steer than my 115 with cable steering. So I pushed hard and Bennington got involved. If it was me I would let the dealer do it. I did shop around and the price was similar. I’d rather have people who know Bennington boats install. It is a lot he f money but you won’t regret it.

I installed the pump myself. That being said, if you're not comfortable with it then don't attempt it. It is not a Yamaha only steering so what motor you have doesn't matter with whoever does the install. We have a Honda.

Do you recall the pump model you installed? I know there is a PA1200 and a PA1315. Just didn't know if you had one that you recommended over the other. Thx.

1200 There wasn't a pro version when I installed the pump. I bought a used pump on Ebay.

I think I'm going to let my dealer install the SeaStar Power Assist on the boat for $2700. I'm also going to add a second battery and dual battery switch for $350 instead of the single battery and switch that came with the boat.

Are there any other options you guys recommend I get added while they are working on the boat? :)

I will copy and paste a post I made not too long ago regarding the second battery below:

I have a 2577 RFi, and it also has a killer stereo system with amplifiers. I was concerned with running the battery down when the engine wasn't on. I decided to add a deep cycle group 31 battery for the "house" electronics and let the starting battery do just the starting.

I had a Blue Sea Si-ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) installed. I find it better than a perko switch. Basically, when the engine is on, it senses the voltage and automatically combines and charges both batteries. When the key is shut off, both batteries are isolated and the deep cycle battery is used to run the stereo/lights/pumps/etc. What this relay also does is protect the electronics from voltage surges when starting. It is fully automatic, and there is no need to switch anything. Also, When I hook up my battery charger to one of the batteries at home, the led indicator on the unit shows that the batteries are combined again, and it charges both batteries to full.

Remember that with a perko switch, if the engine is on, and someone happens to turn the switch the wrong way, it can fry your voltage regulator and/or alternator on your engine and cause all kinds of issues, none the least of which is that you'll be dead in the water, or so I've been told, anyway. It seemed like a real pain to me to constantly be switching from one battery to another every time you started/stopped/started/stopped, etc. Especially if the switch is not located within easy reach of the helm. Plus, people love to turn switches and knobs when I'm not looking.....especially children!

Blue Sea also sells an "Add a battery kit" that includes the optional battery switch (which isn't really needed, unless you want to manually combine the batteries when the key is off). The only use for this in my mind would be if you managed to drain both batteries simultaneously to a near dead state and needed to combine them in order to get enough voltage to get the engine started. So, rather than have the switch.....I also carry a GooLoo jump starter to charge up phones, etc. on the boat and to serve as an emergency jump starter as well. Better safe than sorry.

The reviews on Amazon speak for themselves. And no, I do not work for Blue Sea or have any interest in the company. Just seems like a good product.

Unishot, I thought I recalled reading about this before. Thanks for re-posting!

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion about "suicide" or turning knobs for your steering wheel. I finally snapped a couple of pictures of mine to share.

I really like how nice your’s looks on your steering wheel Chris. Do you have a name brand, or link, to it?

I really like how nice your’s looks on your steering wheel Chris. Do you have a name brand, or link, to it?

I bought it at a local Farm and Tractor Supply store for about $12. They're called "wheel spinners" on-line, have a look and you should be able to find one. As I said, I was really missing the functionality from my Sea Hunt center-console.

You'll never regret getting the tritoon with the larger engine! Handles better, better performance and fuel economy! Do it and never look back! We love ours!

I bought it at a local Farm and Tractor Supply store for about $12. They're called "wheel spinners" on-line, have a look and you should be able to find one. As I said, I was really missing the functionality from my Sea Hunt center-console.

Chris, thanks for posting this. I bought this same knob off Amazon for around $10-$12 and it makes towing kids on the tube much easier!

I have a stainless knob on my 21.5' CC with 150 Yamaha and PS with assist and it is really nice.
A 5 year old can steer the boat at speed with little effort. The knob is really nice and there is a reason that they used to be common on autos in the '50's as they really give a mechanical advantage and much easier to grab the knob than the wheel..Numerous offshore boats install them as standard fare...

I took delivery of a 22SSRXP at the end of May. It has a Yamaha 150 SPS with power steering. It handles great. You will love the choices you gave made for your new Benny. Good luck.

Back