Night Skies on Bull Shoals Lake

WaveRunner

Reaction score
Here are just a few of the photos I've taken of night skies at the lake.  

They're not necessarily related to Bennington boats, but they confirm why we all love our lakes at night!  I hope you enjoy.

412726426.jpg

412726427.jpg

412726424.jpg

412726428.jpg

412726425.jpg

Nick has some competition now! Beautiful shots! If yours are like mine, the photo only captures about 25% of the true beauty as seen with the human eye.

Nick has some competition now! Beautiful shots! If yours are like mine, the photo only captures about 25% of the true beauty as seen with the human eye.

If that much even!  It's like if you've ever been to the Grand Canyon or any other spot that's just huge...no picture could ever do it justice.  Of course, the Grand Canyon is MUCH bigger than this view, but the idea's the same!   ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Amazing photo's thanks!

Awesome!! What kind of camera and settings are you using?

Awesome!! What kind of camera and settings are you using?

I used a Nikon D610 for these shots, which is a full-frame (FX) DSLR with a 24MP sensor.  The lens was either Nikon's 16-35mm F4, which is a nice low-light lens even though it only goes to f4, or a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 which is a "brighter" lens, but lacks auto focus.  I post-process photos with either Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Bridge Camera Raw (if I'm in a hurry).  I take all photos are taken in raw format (Nikon calls their raw "NEF"), and then saved as JPEG images only after the processing is complete.

No flash was used, and all photos were shot in manual mode.  The ISO is set high for Milky Way images, at least at 3000 to 4000, but then the sensor on the camera is very good in low light, and is consistently buttery smooth.  I don't use in-camera High ISO Noise Reduction.  

The Milky Way images are shot at between 15-30 second exposure times, but you run the risk of star trails at speeds longer than 20 seconds.  I don't use the vibration reduction setting on the lens, and I test shoot the pre-focus at infinity before going out for a night of shooting, then I turn the AF off and use painters tape to keep me from accidentally moving the focus ring on the lens later on.  I keep the lens open as wide as possible - f4 or f2.8, depending on the lens, and I always use my heaviest tripod that is well weighted down.  I use a digital wireless remote, and lock the mirror up before taking the image.  I'll take 5-10 images of each shot, maybe varying the shutter speed a little with each exposure.  

None of these photos are HDR, and I don't use any in-camera processing.  I pretty much leave all the bells and whistles the camera offers with photo processing alone, and do all my processing in front of a large monitor powered by a MacBook Pro Retina.  

In the very first image, I used a pencil beam flashlight and scanned it across the water quickly while the shutter was open, illuminating the water an eerie green color.  The tripod is usually set up right at the edge of the water.  I have a red lens cap that I keep over that same flashlight so I don't ruin my night vision.

For Milky Way images, I consult my star charts to see when and where it will be in the night sky during the night of a new (no) moon.  You have maybe 3 days a month during the summer months to shoot the milky way with no moon out.  The winter months don't produce nearly as good images as the Milky Way is in a much different location/position relative to the Earth (or vice versa).  

I also take into consideration where the Milky Way will be relative to the lights of Branson or Springfield, Missouri.  In that first picture of the post, the lights of Branson can be seen to the left of the image, and Springfield is brightening up the middle of the image on the horizon.  Springfield is almost 60 miles from where I was that night - as the crow flies.

I have many more of these if you guys/gals are interested.

I hope this helps, and thanks for asking!  Feel free to PM me if you want more info!

Last edited by a moderator:
An artist at work! Some (okay, much) of it over my head but interesting to hear the science behind the magic. I believe there is another section labeled "Photo's" so by all means, please share your talents! Won't hurt to display your Benny in some of them from time to time... lol

An artist at work! Some (okay, much) of it over my head but interesting to hear the science behind the magic. I believe there is another section labeled "Photo's" so by all means, please share your talents! Won't hurt to display your Benny in some of them from time to time... lol

Will do!  Sorry to all for sounding scientific with the explanations.  To me, photography is a melding of the heart and mind.  It's science and art combined.  That's something I really like about the hobby.  That and the fact that most photographers (even the pro's) are usually quite approachable, and don't mind sharing many of their secrets with you and will spend time talking about their techniques.  That's been very refreshing to me.

Thanks for the comments!

Sorry to all for sounding scientific with the explanations. 

No need to apologize! I'm sure others here soaked it all in. Me, I learned something, which is always a good thing!

I was thinking the exact same thing -- game on Nick (although you are still in the lead)!

I was thinking the exact same thing -- game on Nick (although you are still in the lead)!

I'll bet I could learn a "boatload" from Nick about photography, and would like to hear about his adventures and what he's learned over the years.  Listening to a good photographer tell his stories and about what works best under certain circumstances is the best way to learn, and Nick looks like he takes many thousands of shots every year...maybe every month.  

Me, I'm just in it for the pleasure of it, and could never see myself making a penny off of it, but Nick's in a different ball park than me.  He's in a big-league park compared to me.

Back