NOOB question regarding model designations

ImTinkerbella

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking at purchasing our first boat.

We have looked online at several used, 20 foot 2016 models and are confused what exactly differentiates the SSRX from the SSRCX floor plan. Being a NOOB, I am assuming the RX refers to radius seating? If my assumption is correct, what would the extra "C" designation imply in the floor plan?

Thanks in advance for any gentle, new boat owner guidance.

One other somewhat unrelated question... given the purchase price, how does one safely handle such a large financial transaction? I am not comfortable with the idea of traveling in excess of 100 miles with 20,000+ dollars in hand. Wire transfer? Escrow account?

Again, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband and I are looking at purchasing our first boat.

We have looked online at several used, 20 foot 2016 models and are confused what exactly differentiates the SSRX from the SSRCX floor plan. Being a NOOB, I am assuming the RX refers to radius seating? If my assumption is correct, what would the extra "C" designation imply in the floor plan?

Thanks in advance for any gentle, new boat owner guidance.

One other somewhat unrelated question... given the purchase price, how does one safely handle such a large financial transaction? I am not comfortable with the idea of traveling in excess of 100 miles with 20,000+ dollars in hand. Wire transfer? Escrow account?

Again, thank you!

Regarding the transaction, we met at a branch of my bank and signed all the title paperwork and handled the cash transaction there.

Regarding the transaction, we met at a branch of my bank and signed all the title paperwork and handled the cash transaction there.

Thank you, MikeB, for your response regarding your transaction experience.

As there is no branch of my credit union where the boat is located (I live in Mayberry :rolleyes: ), I guess we can probably arrange to meet at the seller's bank and work out the details of the payment arrangement.

Again, thank you.

I used a bank check... at the dealer... but if a private transaction would make sure you have a well written bill of sale and all the transfer docs squared away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a certified check from your financial institution would be fine and safe to travel with. The best way to guarantee the specific model layout is the boat builder. Bennington has 4 general models, S, G, R, Q. The S series has a few variations too. If you go to the boat builder it'll layout all the possibilities for you. Beat of luck in your search for the perfect Bennington, no matter what you select it'll be a great boat!

SX is model, SR is stern radius seating, C is probably chaise lounge down the port mid to stern.

modelbuilder.benningtonmarine.com/product/client/order/standalone/selector?RETAIL/REDIRECT

I used a bank check... at the dealer... but if a private transaction would make sure you have a well written bill of sale and all the transfer docs squared away.

Thank you, ugleeual; this would be a private party sale.

I realize I need to do my due diligence to ensure there are no liens, but boat buying is new territory for me. (I have my work cut out for me; a lot of research and legwork to do... and the seller seems to be even more clueless than I!)

I'm sure a certified check from your financial institution would be fine and safe to travel with. The best way to guarantee the specific model layout is the boat builder. Bennington has 4 general models, S, G, R, Q. The S series has a few variations too. If you go to the boat builder it'll layout all the possibilities for you. Beat of luck in your search for the perfect Bennington, no matter what you select it'll be a great boat!

Thank you, adkboater.

I was on the Bennington site using their boat builder option (as well as looking at their catalog), but as with automobiles, it does seem that options can and do change with model years without clear definitions on their site. 

Too many variations of letter designators to try to absorb for this brain at first blush... but I think mattb deconstructed my alphabetic confusion for me.

Thanks, again!

Sounds like everyone gave some great advice above, and answered the layout question.  Best of luck with your boat purchase.  We love our Bennington and wouldn't get anything else. I'd be a little anxious with a large private party purchase, but the advice above sounds very good.  

Well written bill of sale with a clear title in hand for your, if the buyer is okay with certified check - do that for them, and then perhaps complete paperwork at a bank. Technically, it really shouldn't be any different than buying a very nice used car in these regards...

Your financial place should be able to set you up with the safest transaction.   Don't forget title for trailer.  Ohio used to title outboard motors too, they don't now but something to look out for.  If it don't seem right, bail on it.

Contact the local law enforcment and ask if the transation can be done at their facility. Just another peice of mind and a good meeting location.

Back