Nose Cone Alignment

adkboater

Reaction score
Everytime I tow my boat and I look in the mirror on the what would be the starboard side of the boat, it looks as though my nose cone is twisted. I thought it was just my mirror angle and never thought too much about it. My last trip I was stuck in traffic and kept seeing what I thought what a mirror issue. As it turns out, I measured all the centers today and the top of the toons measure 77-1/16 center to center as you get to the bottom of the tune, right before I hit the trailer bunks it measures 77-13/16". I measured to the center toon to make sure I was not missing something but my center and port toons are dead nuts on and perpendicular to the deck. I just assume the nose cone was welded on a slight twist? This may or may not be in the parameters but I figured I'd get a couple thoughts on here. I would assume the only obvious way to repair it would be to cut of the nose cone and re-weld it or replace the toon?? Nothing life or death, boat works fine, I bleed Bennington.....but  I might catch Andy if it was straight! ;)  

Thanks for any input!

Everytime I tow my boat and I look in the mirror on the what would be the starboard side of the boat, it looks as though my nose cone is twisted. I thought it was just my mirror angle and never thought too much about it. My last trip I was stuck in traffic and kept seeing what I thought what a mirror issue. As it turns out, I measured all the centers today and the top of the toons measure 77-1/16 center to center as you get to the bottom of the tune, right before I hit the trailer bunks it measures 77-13/16". I measured to the center toon to make sure I was not missing something but my center and port toons are dead nuts on and perpendicular to the deck. I just assume the nose cone was welded on a slight twist? This may or may not be in the parameters but I figured I'd get a couple thoughts on here. I would assume the only obvious way to repair it would be to cut of the nose cone and re-weld it or replace the toon?? Nothing life or death, boat works fine, I bleed Bennington.....but  I might catch Andy if it was straight! ;)  

Thanks for any input!

Definitely time for a new boat  ;)

THATS WHAT I TOLD THE WIFE!! :)  

I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion or anything just curious on what you guys think. 

I wouldn't worry about it, you'd never notice it in the water ...... just an OCD moment ......  ;)

I wouldn't worry about it, you'd never notice it in the water ...... just an OCD moment ......  ;)

Just kept staring at me in the mirror!! Had to put a tape measure to it to confirm it wasn't an optical dilution!  Didn't know if Bennington had any tolerances for that stuff? 

I might need to take TomS's advice and just buy another one! ;)   might have to live on it but at least it won't stare me down on the trailer! :)  

I might catch Andy if it was straight! ;)  

Thanks for any input!

Keep dreaming!!! :D  Heck, I'm still trying to catch up to JTaylor!

While we're on the OCD issue, The "200" decal is not level on the back of my Yamaha cowling. Noticed it since day one. It's crazy how we notice everything on our boats, but our wives get their hair done and we never spot it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of you are so anal, you turn Phillips screws to the + position?

One of the first things I did to all the speaker cover screws on the new toon. Im so OCD about screws being off perfect vertical orientation ...  :blink:

It's funny you bring this up.  When I had my trailer built, the only thing the builder asked me to measure was the center-on-center between pontoons.  Port-to center, starboard-to-center, and port-to-starboard.  He said pontoon manufacturers were notorious for having very small differences in measurements from boat to boat.

One of the first things I did to all the speaker cover screws on the new toon. Im so OCD about screws being off perfect vertical orientation ...  :blink:

You should see the switch plate cover screws in my house. The screwdriver slot is parallel with the floor! 

You should see the switch plate cover screws in my house. The screwdriver slot is parallel with the floor! 

When I used to work out in the field doing plumbing I used to make sure all the lettering on the PVC was aligned piece by piece, all the correct orientation and direction. I used to belly ache if I had red and blue miss match so I'd turn all that in so you couldn't see any lettering.  Yes I adjust all must screws as needed. Used to be same way with the organization of the house when I was single but I lost out to the 5yo and the 2yo. I just can't keep up!

It's funny you bring this up.  When I had my trailer built, the only thing the builder asked me to measure was the center-on-center between pontoons.  Port-to center, starboard-to-center, and port-to-starboard.  He said pontoon manufacturers were notorious for having very small differences in measurements from boat to boat.

It won't kill me but I didn't know if they had tolerance that the boats are built too?

Keep dreaming!!! :D  Heck, I'm still trying to catch up to JTaylor!

My buddy just ordered another pontoon boat with twin 300 evinrudes supposed to do 66mph. His current boat only does 54mph with a 250HO. Sad part is my SX interior has better fit and finish than his fancy boat!  My bank account is just fine with what we have, way too much for my time on the water every summer.

You guys are killin me.............But I'm the same way! I can understand about the screws on the speakers and switch plates.........

In our master BR closet everything of mine that is hung up has to face to the left. Also the order is........Suits........Dress shirts..........Dress pants.........jeans........... Long sleeve shirts/sweaters/sweatshirts..........Polo shirts..........T shirts. Sweat pants, gym clothes, and shorts are folded on the shelves. No I'm not anal..........

jeans.........

Switch plate covers in my house have screw slots vertical ... and my closet is pretty much same way but I try to keep my shirts in color order... but they do all face same way.....   ;)  

My buddy just ordered another pontoon boat with twin 300 evinrudes supposed to do 66mph. His current boat only does 54mph with a 250HO. Sad part is my SX interior has better fit and finish than his fancy boat!  My bank account is just fine with what we have, way too much for my time on the water every summer.

Break out the checkbook, only $165K....  :blink:

http://www.hawkeyeboatsales.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2553796&p=1&s=Price&d=D&vt=boat&fr=xallinventory

That is wrong, wrong, wrong I tell ya, the slots are supposed to be vertical. :wacko:

That is wrong, wrong, wrong I tell ya, the slots are supposed to be vertical. :wacko:

Great, now I'm going to have to walk through the house later with a screwdriver and turn them!

Make sure they are properly torqued.  :p

Back