not happy at all with some things on my new RCW

Freeride

Reaction score
most of the boat is great but FFS some of it is cheap garbage and horseshit workmanship. here is a list

half of our 23 cup holders can pull right out and are attached with double sided tape. the tape is junk. On the dash,the plastic chrome trim that looks to be hot glued on, well all 3 are just hanging there. and I pulled on the dash board to look under it and guess what ? it all is held together with 2 sided tape.

we were swimming under the boat and the kids said there is wires hanging down, so I go under there and look and here is 6' of wire hanging down in 2 spots. turns out it is wiring for the cup holders and it goes up through the floor in almost the middle of the boat and the only thing they used to secure the wire was some silicon in the hole were the wire goes in.

after the first rain our rear light on the bimini was half full of water. I also think the switches could be labeled much better. all in all we are happy with boat and love the furniture and layout but I am not sure the bennington is worth the extra money

So my first question. Did you discuss any of this with your dealer?

Per a previous post some of this could have, and should have been addressed at delivery......................

Freeride, on 06 Jun 2014 - 7:13 PM, said:
I got the bimini figured out. it was operator error and I also found out you hit the pole with your hand too unclip the upright supports. we were trying to pry up on the clip with one hand and hit it with the other. I am sure my dealer would of went thru all of that but it was raining and we never even uncovered the boat before I took it. they are ordering a new speaker and now I will get some hrs on it this weekend and see if I can get more rpm"s out of it.

the problems where found just last weekend. I am not worried about it not getting fixed because my dealer has been great, last time i called him I had a new speaker and prop sent to me the next day. I am just a little bummed out at the little stuff that is arising.

SemperFi, isn't what you said not really the point??

The thing about learning how to raise/lower the bimini or not going over it in the rain, wasn't the OP issue. The way I interpret it is Freeride is finding things he's questioning as a result of getting out of the factory in the first place with alleged less than quality workmanship! "Double sided tape"? Wires hanging? Console/cup holders barely fastened? Just because a dealer can rectify all these things doesn't mean it isn't a hassle! I wouldn't like having to deal with it, and being the worry wort I am, I'd be worried what next will arise and if it was too bad, will I end up sinking?? (worse case scenario & highly unlikely, but I can't swim : /) (it's true, not even funny) Just an observation and heads up to the company as there's lots of potential buyers "lurking" on this forum (as they've posted many a time) & a good thing Bennington reads this forum. I'd hate for folks in the future to say "they just don't make 'em like they used to". Just sayin'

Important aside: Our 2014 order, so far, has been perfect (& I don't expect that to change)! We love it! Now, I was a PITA double checking with our dealer in advance, making sure all would be correct, and definitely did an inspection upon delivery! so, want to clarify I haven't had an issue...and I'm sure other's may not have either.

Was just feelin' for the OP is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have become very worried about my boat on order.  My build date was last Friday.  All the recent posts are making me thin that if the boat is ever built, and ever delivered that potentially it will take a couple of extra days/weeks to make sure everything is correct.   Makes me queasy. 

I hope your boat is fixed quickly so that you may enjoy what you have already paid for.  I hope that our boat is done correctly the first time.   

jgingrey: Don't worry yet. Really. I felt the same way and then we got our boat and we have to pinch ourselves every time we use it on how awesome it is. The quality promised is what WE got! For sure! It's really, really nice and all was in order. I agree, this forum has been popping up with complaints, which is why I hope the company is reading all this and nips it in the bud! So, again, don't worry just yet you're experience may be like ours instead : ) (Let us know!)

Freeride, really sorry to hear that you have some issues with your new toon,  It sounds like they are all correctable at the dealer level, and it sounds like you have a great dealer to work with.

While there really is no excuse for the boat to have left the factory in that condition, things can happen during shipping, loading and unloading off the transport etc.  So the dealer is truly the last QC inspector, and i find it hard to believe your dealer let you have it without proper dealer prep and orientation.

Now, for all of you who are now worried about your new boat falling apart or sinking, rest easy, Bennington has gone through some growing pains. Simply because they are known for quality, dependability, and service. They work with many suppliers, and no doubt an ever changing work force, who may or may not turn out to be team players. It only takes one or two slackers to make for a  less than perfect boat. But Bennington always makes it right.

Closing in on 4K members here and i can still only count single digits for those who have had real problems, and those have been resolved to the best of my knowledge.

OK, i'm finished  :)

Tyjy,

The point of my post was the underlined section where the boat was taken without an inspection with the dealer. It had nothing to do with the first portion, but I didn't want to pick & choose a partial statement. Geoffrey pretty much summed up my feelings on the issue.

I don't think many of these issues are the factory's fault. I saw my boat when it got to the dealer and there wasn't a whole lot that was already put together. Essentially it was just a shell with most everything loose inside. I'm pretty sure the dealer ran all the wiring and even most if not all of the seating. I assume that's the way the rest of the dealers get them but I don't know for sure.

I was out being chauffeured on the lake today by our 6 year old grandson.  He can drive our 24SSLX with a F150 just like an adult.  It was a little windy, but the boat rode through the white caps like it was riding on air.

Other than a foggy multigauge, our two years have been trouble free.

I just wish the Ivory seating wasn't so easy to get stained.  Mean Green and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do a pretty job of getting the winter dirt and stains off, however. 

Tell me some more about pulling the cup holders out?  Is it the black insert or the actual cupholder itself right out of hte seat etc?  If its the black rubber insert, Bennington told us to get rid of those long ago.  They can leave bad black streaks on the furniture and when you touch them they give off black nasty dirty marks on anything your fingers touch aftewords.

Sorry if this is not the problem, but I wasn't sure what part of the cupholder wasn't staying in correctly

Todd

On mine the stainless steel insert actually comes out .

Same issues with the doubled sided tape .

Our cub holders come out as well. Also I started noticing water coming from my wash-down hose. When I took it out I Realized the 90° elbow was blown apart. Went to my dealer and he said I'm the third person to have this problem. I hope Bennington puts a stronger elbow in the future.

A friend of mine kept losing the cupholders from the front of his Bentley pontoon, they would blow out going down the highway.

After replacing them the second time, he realized what was going on and now just takes them out at the end of the day!

A friend of mine kept losing the cupholders from the front of his Bentley pontoon, they would blow out going down the highway.

After replacing them the second time, he realized what was going on and now just takes them out at the end of the day!
That could be a pain . There are drain tubes on mine .

A better way to secure them from the factory would help .

A wrap or two of some duct tape around them (can even use color matched  :D ) may make them a little tighter. Also check to see if the vinyl flaps from the cut are down in the hole. This would make them snug up too possibly.

If people are going to spend money ( a lot of money) on a Bennington, they shouldn't have to take cup holders out every time they want to go somewhere. I love our boat but feel that Bennington is getting too big and do not have the employees to keep up with the high demand.

This may be a Bennington supplier issue .

Last year the cover supplier had some thread that stained the seats .

Not sticking up for anyone ,but .

Perhaps their "doubled sided tape "  supplier has some issues .

On my 2013 last year The cup holders didn't budge .

2014 different story 

WOW! after dropping over 75K on my newly ordered Bennington now I'm scared.  I would expect this from a boat that costs 1/2 that amount but not on a luxury boat from one of the premier pontoon manufacturers.  :angry:

Mine will be a 2015 model so I hope my experience is a better one in a few weeks when the boat arrives. :unsure:

Back