Not the way I hoped to start out the boating season!!! Bunk Trailer Totaled :(

v1rot8

Reaction score
Specs: 22' Bennington SLMX

PT-22 Phoenix Tandem Axle Bunk Trailer

Took our new boat out to High Cliff State Park near Appleton, Wisconsin this weekend to take advantage of the great spring weather that finally arrived this past weekend. Talked to several other boaters about the launch and was told that it was good. Looking around at the various sailboats that were in the marina and knowing that they most likely used the ramp I decided to launch the boat. Started backing the trailer in and before I got to the point where I normally launch the boat (bunks approx 3/4 submerged) the trailer dropped without any warning. ( I later found out that the end of the ramp had been washed out and the trailer axles went off the edge of the concrete. Of course there were no signs or other indications that there was a problem with the boat launch) Got out of the truck to figure out what was going on and could only see the front 4-6 feet of the tongue. I tried pulling the trailer forward and found that I could not move it.

After securing the boat to the dock I spent the next hour with some of the local boaters trying to get the trailer out of the landing. When we did, I found that my month old trailer was in pretty bad shape. The fenders extend below the frame rails so when the trailer axles went off the edge of the ramp, the fenders were smashed up and the brackets holding them were also damaged. The spring shackle that was hooked on the edge of the concrete was bent slightly. The dealer informed me yesterday that they want $2800 to repair the trailer because the fenders and brackets are all welded on.

Question #1: Has anyone else had this problem launching their boat?

Question #2: When I order the new trailer is it worth adding an angled piece of metal (made out of the same material as frame of trailer so that it does not look like crap) that would be even with the bottom of the spring shackle on one end and extend forward say 24" or so in order to prevent the fenders from hitting ramp should it happen again. Also with it being angled it should help me to pull it out without getting hooked on concrete?

Question#3: Is this boat launch problem not common enough to worry about it happening again? I have since looked at several other local boat launches and have found that the water is not clear enough to see the condition of the end of the ramp. Being that I trailer the boat every time I use it and will be going to various lakes I am concerned about it happening again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

That does stink. To have enough wash out that your trailer got damaged, I would think somebody in the park would know and post a sign at the launch ramp. We have had an issue before where the concrete was not long enough and ran off the end before the boat launched. We got ropes under the back cross-member and from the front of the toon we lifted enough to take some pressure off the wheels and the truck was able to pull the wheels back on the ramp. The drop off was not enough for the frame to hit the concrete. It is not a common problem because the word should get out quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call your insurrance company (unless you didn't have your trailer insurred). I would also call the township/city that the launch is at and complain to them about it as well.

Question #1: Has anyone else had this problem launching their boat? I'M SURE IT'S NOTHING THAT HASN'T HAPPENED BEFORE, BUT SOMEBODY HAS A RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE CARE OF RAMPS. IT'S PROBABLY TOO LATE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT FOR THIS BOATING SEASON, HOWEVER A SIGN NEEDS TO BE ERECTED NOTIFYING THE PUBLIC OF THE PROBLEM. IT MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE WITH MOST SHORTER BOAT TRAILERS BEING LAUNCHED.

Question #2: When I order the new trailer is it worth adding an angled piece of metal (made out of the same material as frame of trailer so that it does not look like crap) that would be even with the bottom of the spring shackle on one end and extend forward say 24" or so in order to prevent the fenders from hitting ramp should it happen again. Also with it being angled it should help me to pull it out without getting hooked on concrete? IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA.

Question#3: Is this boat launch problem not common enough to worry about it happening again? I have since looked at several other local boat launches and have found that the water is not clear enough to see the condition of the end of the ramp. Being that I trailer the boat every time I use it and will be going to various lakes I am concerned about it happening again. JUST BE CAREFUL AND GO ABOUT ENJOYING YOUR BOATING DAYS. TRY TO GO TO RAMPS YOU KNOW ARE OKAY.

$2800 REPAIRS? YOU CAN BUY A WHOLE NEW TRAILER FOR THAT MUCH. GALVANIZED FENDERS ARE JUST $59, AND ARE OFTEN BOUGHT IN PAIRS TO GET THEM TO MATCH. YOU CAN GET A COMPLETE AXLE HANGING KIT WITH ALL SHACKLES, BOLTS, EQUALIZERS AND MOUNTS FOR $47 PER SIDE FOR BOTH AXLES. A WELDING SHOP OR TRAILER DEALERSHIP CAN EASILY DO A SIMPLE REPAIR JOB FOR FAR LESS THAN WHAT'S QUOTED.

GOOD LUCK!

Doesn't sound like it should be totaled. Sounds fairly minor to me, same thing happened to my first trailer which was a Karavan, The thing about that one was I didn't realize how hard it had hooked and I had a 560 HP Dodge Cummins that I gave a bit much throttle and stretched and bent the entire front frame work of the trailer, Insurance company would not total it because it fell 200 bucks short of criteria for totaling it out. Had a new main frame on order for a couple months before finally cancelling the order and Bought a brand new Shorelandr" trailer instead and sold my wrecked trailer straight out and in the end made money on the deal. Trailer sold in one day, It was repairable by a good welder which is what the guy who bought it was going to do. In the end I wound up with a nicer trailer and money in my pocket to boot. Tried to persue action against the city and parks and rec for the boat dock and they have a "Use at your own risk" clause for things like this. found out a boater tore his axle right off his trailer the day before.

Yes the boat trailer was insured, and due to the repair cost it sounds like they are totaling it. Parts from Phoenix Trailers are $600. The labor is the issue being that the fenders and associated brackets are welded on and old ones must be cut off and re-welded. The trailer was painted with Dupont automotive paint according to the manufacturer and the repaired area will need to be repainted and blended into old paint (another $500 materials and labor). In light of the fact that the trailer is only a month old I don't want it to look like it was repaired. I agree that the estimate sounds high being that the trailer was $3100 new as I was expecting $1000-$1500. The insurance adjuster is supposed to take a look at it today and make the decision as to what they are doing. The damaged trailer still tows fine so I am hoping to use it while I wait for a new one. Unless they decide to fix it in which case I will be without boat and trailer for who knows how long.

As far as the boat ramp is concerned, I contacted the manager of the Marina at the High Cliff State Park. They are not going to do anything about my damage but I did tell him they need to post a sign at the landing saying "ramp ends here" or something similar. He told me that they would look into it. I am sure I will never see any signs posted.... Especially frustrating since I bought an annual pass and it is the main place I was planning on launching the boat!

Specs: 22' Bennington SLMX

PT-22 Phoenix Tandem Axle Bunk Trailer

Question #1: Has anyone else had this problem launching their boat?

I really HATE to say this, but this is a common issue with ramps that usually have people POWER LOADING their boats, and I have seen this mentioned eslewhere NUMEROUS times. It's also can be aused by water erosion (swirling) at the base of the ramp. I ALWAYS checked the ramp length and verified drop off before launching.

Question #2: When I order the new trailer is it worth adding an angled piece of metal (made out of the same material as frame of trailer so that it does not look like crap) that would be even with the bottom of the spring shackle on one end and extend forward say 24" or so in order to prevent the fenders from hitting ramp should it happen again. Also with it being angled it should help me to pull it out without getting hooked on concrete?

I doubt you will do this again, by doing answer to number 1 above

Question#3: Is this boat launch problem not common enough to worry about it happening again? I have since looked at several other local boat launches and have found that the water is not clear enough to see the condition of the end of the ramp. Being that I trailer the boat every time I use it and will be going to various lakes I am concerned about it happening again.

See answer #1

INVEST IN WADERS AND WALK THE RAMP !!!!

I'm not being a smart ass with above answers, it's more common then you might think, just most people might get away without as much damage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Yes, your idea of a "ramped" front support would def. help iIF it ever happened again. I would try to have it start at roughly bottom tire bead wheel area.

You would not need a lot of power to move once boats off, and you could at least protect the trailer next time.

Kind of like this

Yes the boat trailer was insured, and due to the repair cost it sounds like they are totaling it. Parts from Phoenix Trailers are $600. The labor is the issue being that the fenders and associated brackets are welded on and old ones must be cut off and re-welded. The trailer was painted with Dupont automotive paint according to the manufacturer and the repaired area will need to be repainted and blended into old paint (another $500 materials and labor). In light of the fact that the trailer is only a month old I don't want it to look like it was repaired. I agree that the estimate sounds high being that the trailer was $3100 new as I was expecting $1000-$1500. The insurance adjuster is supposed to take a look at it today and make the decision as to what they are doing. The damaged trailer still tows fine so I am hoping to use it while I wait for a new one. Unless they decide to fix it in which case I will be without boat and trailer for who knows how long.

As far as the boat ramp is concerned, I contacted the manager of the Marina at the High Cliff State Park. They are not going to do anything about my damage but I did tell him they need to post a sign at the landing saying "ramp ends here" or something similar. He told me that they would look into it. I am sure I will never see any signs posted.... Especially frustrating since I bought an annual pass and it is the main place I was planning on launching the boat!
We understand how you want a new trailer since your old trailer is essentially brand new. But if they decide to total the trailer, see if they'll sell the old trailer to you. All the blending the paint and $500 for supplies is crap on a boat trailer. Good used, if even slightly rebuilt, pontoon trailers are nowhere to be found on the used market. And they sell very fast. And putting new hangers and fenders on a trailer is not an expensive fix. It's a good chance to pickup a few bucks on the resale of the trailer.

Wow, what a story. I hope they do well by you, but that price really seems out of line. The trailer new is 3100, and they want 2600 to repair? That means that they are saying that you damaged 84% of the trailer? Hmmmmmmm.

And, just like Bama said, see if they will sell you the old trailer, you could make a few bucks.

Back