on center midship cross channels ??

hallbob

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the difference in the “on center midship cross channels” spacing on the S/SX/SXP models vs. the G/R/Q models. I’ve read the S/SX/SXP models use 24” spacing and the G/R/Q models use 16” spacing but I don’t know exactly how to interpret that or the actual importance of it. Could someone elaborate on the difference and what situation/lake conditions would require the tighter 16” spacing?

Think of it as joists for a floor. The closer the joists, less movement in the floor and more solid.

Think of it as joists for a floor. The closer the joists, less movement in the floor and more solid.

That's pretty obvious but I would like to know is that spacing between the cross channels equal from bow to stern? Trying to understand if the spacing is closer than 24" from center to aft near the transom on the S/SX/SXP models. Would be great if Bennington would include in their brochure a picture of the structure underneath the deck of the S/SX/SXP models. But they don't.

That's pretty obvious but I would like to know is that spacing between the cross channels equal from bow to stern? Trying to understand if the spacing is closer than 24" from center to aft near the transom on the S/SX/SXP models. Would be great if Bennington would include in their brochure a picture of the structure underneath the deck of the S/SX/SXP models. But they don't.

That seemed a bit snarky. You asked what the difference was and what the importance was. Carl answered. Closer together makes for a more solid deck. If you were getting a 25' boat and usually in rougher water, well I'd personally want a stiffer deck to handle it. As for the spacing in transom area, not sure, but I would think it might be closer. If you have a dealer close by you could take a peek under one. Many won't have underskinning. As to why Bennington doesn't completely show how their boats are built on their website with CAD drawings, not sure, but maybe that answer is pretty obvious. :)

That seemed a bit snarky. You asked what the difference was and what the importance was. Carl answered. Closer together makes for a more solid deck. If you were getting a 25' boat and usually in rougher water, well I'd personally want a stiffer deck to handle it. As for the spacing in transom area, not sure, but I would think it might be closer. If you have a dealer close by you could take a peek under one. Many won't have underskinning. As to why Bennington doesn't completely show how their boats are built on their website with CAD drawings, not sure, but maybe that answer is pretty obvious. :)

Are you suggesting then that a 25' Bennington S series with its 24" cross channel spacing is not fit (stiff enough) for rougher water?

Are you suggesting then that a 25' Bennington S series with its 24" cross channel spacing is not fit (stiff enough) for rougher water?
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm not an engineer and I'm sure Bennington employs a few of them. If they make a boat I'm positive it's well made and built to last. I have owned three of them and was never concerned with their rigidity. That being said, I over build, over think and over research everything I buy or do. So the idea of 16" OC vs 24" OC seems like a no brainer to me, especially if on a big boat, on big waters. I've been active on this board for about 9 years and NEVER ONCE has someone complained about the deck flex of their S model that I can ever recall. So I'm sure it's totally fine. I always look for reasons I can sell the wife on needing to buy the fancier, higher, more expensive items, so I definitely would have said to her, "well ya we could just get the S series, but the G has closer spaced cross members so it'll be way stronger and safer" haha if I throw a "safer" comment it usually helps convince her!! Haha

Bottom line, you'll be fine with either, G is just a little step up, but the S design has come so far in the past 5 years it's impressive. Hope this helps your query.

While on a factory tour, directed by Mike, a longstanding member of their team in various roles, including customer service and claims, he made it perfectly clear all the frames, 16" or 24" or hybrid, are fully engineered for their full range of purpose and usage, no short cuts or compromises. Essentially he thought the drive to 16" centers was about competitive marketing, not a push by engineering to make something "stronger". And, as I recall ... he added they'd never had a claim attributed to a failure of the frame. An "S" boat isn't any less robust than a "G","R","Q" or they wouldn't be selling them.

No issues with my S and 24” spacing. They all have a lifetime structural warranty. I’ve put mine through it’s paces down here too.

I would like to know more about the difference in the “on center midship cross channels” spacing on the S/SX/SXP models vs. the G/R/Q models. I’ve read the S/SX/SXP models use 24” spacing and the G/R/Q models use 16” spacing but I don’t know exactly how to interpret that or the actual importance of it. Could someone elaborate on the difference and what situation/lake conditions would require the tighter 16” spacing?
I have a 24 sfx and i boat on a rough lake. no problems at all.

Back