Our Labor Day at the Battle Re-Enactment on lake Erie

Ness3

Reaction score
We took our 2013 GBR 2550 with a 225 Yamaha with ESP toons rough water package 25 miles out from the dock in Toledo Ohio to the Battle of Lake Erie Bicentennial Re-Creation that took place on Labor Day 2013. Tall ships departed from nine ports and gather at the original battle site approximately 8 miles from Put-in-Bay, OH, where cannons fired and history was reconfirm for the lasting legacy of these heros. Ok now for the ride out not to bad 2/3 footers for 25 miles with the wind second guessing to my self should we go this far out in the wind it will be a long ride in for the five of us. Yep after on looking for 2 hours or so with 2000 outher boats in 3 foot waves out in the middle of Lake Erie rocken & rollen time to head in now aginst the wind 25 miles now in 3to5 footers what a ride took onley 3or4 waves over the front my right hand and arm half numb from holding onto the throttle and my butt tired from sitting. Well we made it safley and we had fun all in all a rough but a good day on our toon that is our Bennington toon :D www.BattleofLakeErie-Bicentennial.com

Ness: Thanks for the pictures and post. I lived in Toledo for a very long time. Spent ten years as a Toledo Police Officer, Then another ten years with Lane Drug Company and years with a couple other places. Retired to TN now but still have lots of family and friends in your area. Go back a couple times a year.

Have a great day.

David

Man, gotta give you credit for going out 25 miles to see the reenactment in rough water. We complain when we go to our lake on the weekends when everybody and their brother is out making the water choppy and racing around and the jet skis are getting too close trying to jump our wake. Ha! We live in Fredericksburg, Virginia. There were so many historic, important and bloody battles fought here during the civil war. Throughout the year civil war groups hold reenactments in the various battlefields to show the public just what the soldiers went through during that time period. They try to be as authentic as possible even living in the tents w/out electricity, running water and toilet facilities. Very interesting to see................

Talk about historic ..... I live 20 minutes from Gettysburg ....... AND I was an extra in the movie ... :) along with 1000 others .... Lol !!!

Got to meet Martin Sheen he very nice and spent time talking to us as much as possible in between takes ..... Tom Berenger .... well he was a d*** He just stomped off to his special chair after every take.

GREAT PICS BY THE WAY !!!! Nice way to break in a Benni .... 25 miles out and 3 footers !!!! I hope you were using that bar to unwind after that !!!!!

Sorry to go off topic.............Semper, as a young police officer I also got to meet Martin Sheen back in 1985..............He was doing research for a movie in Washington DC. He was playing a DC homeless advocate named Mitch Snyder. Well Martin Sheen and Mitch Snyder were panhandling with about 20 other homeless people in one of our Metro stations and was told to leave. They did but they went to another part of the station and set up tents to "sleep" for the night. Well, they were told to leave again but failed to comply so.............. we locked them all up including Martin Sheen.

We haven't taken delivery of our new Bennie yet, so we went to the ""Battle" in a 30' Scarab

Nice ride out in the morning from Toledo

Wind shift made for a lousy ride back, I do agree with Ness

It was truly an amazing day, cannon fire you could feel in your chest

Listening to the call of the Battle on the VHF was very cool, we could keep up with movements and fire zones

The Brig Niagra is one beautiful boat when it's under sail

I am very glad we had this opportunity

I will try to get our pics posted

Ness3 I get daily updates from Clemons Boats on facebook, It must have been you in the picture he posted of a Benny watching the re enactment. I was out fishing east of Cedar point, gotta say it got rough as the day went on but wasn't scared in the Benny!

Great pixs and love the history especially listening in to the call of the battle

I think it is important for us all to remember the past as to not repeat the errors made. I've been to Gettysburg and you can definitely feel the history and to see all the crosses at Arlington is quite a humbling sight. Makes me proud to be an American and thankful for all the men and women who put their lives at risk for the rest of us.

Back