Outdrive position while towing

1Tiredlady

Reaction score
What position should the outdrive be while towing? Our dealer said we should leave in in the lowered position. We think it would be possible to drag the prop. I've seen after market supports to hold it raised but think that should have been recommended by the manufacturer. We have the Yamaha 200 SHO.

Thanks

It is normally recommended to leave it in the full down position however depending on your trailer, motor height, etc you may need to trim it up and use a motor support bracket that attaches to the trailer's rear frame and the front of the lower unit. I've found that while it may look good at rest, sometimes when you encounter curbs, dips, and various short uneven surfaces it's enough to smack the skeg or prop. Mine sits tall enough on the trailer and 13" tires that full down is actually fine.

Like TomS my boat sits high enough on the trailer to be able to be towed w/the outdrive in the lowered position. But when we float the boat back onto the trailer at the end of the day we automatically raise the outdrive so it doesn't drag and hit the skeg on the ramp. We owned a bowrider and that's how we did it for years.................. old habits are hard to break.........................

I always towed mine in the full down position as well. I do have to be careful when backing into my driveway, didn't have to raise the last one, but the new one will probably have the motor a little farther back so might have to depending on how the pivot point of the tires sit.

I raise mine then lower it just about an 1/8 past the power steering; Up but not full pressure on the pump. I also have the "m-ywedge" for long hauls. Not sure if it works or not, but it does say yahmaha on it...lol

Wow this is news to me. I had no idea you were supposed to have it in the lowest position. Is this true on an I/O as well??? I pulled it 12 hours from eastern PA to Michigan 2 years ago and later that year took it on a 4 hour trip to northern Michigan and back......all trips with it raised all the way up. And what's this wedge you speak of? I am visualizing something in between the outdrive and the stern/transom of the boat to take the load/pressure off of the outdrive but I have never seen one.

Back