Paint vs Vinyl Numbers

ssc

Reaction score
On my other boat I had custom painted reg numbers and name. Since I have never had a pontoon, I wanted to know what people think. Do most people have the reg numbers painted on or use vinyl numbers?

Thanks for you thoughts, Steve

I ordered registration numbers from this site.

http://shop.domednumbers.com/product/bennington-solid-chrome

They have chrome numbers that use the Bennington font. I don't have them yet, just got an email that my order has been completed and they are on their way. But no pix to share as of yet.

My question on a similar topic (not to hijack the thread, but the same people with experience on this topic will be reading and responding anyway), where to put them??

I know most put them on the fence.

I'm thinking of putting them on the aluminum skirt between the deck and the pontoons. Wondering if anyone else has done this? Since my boat is a black'd out boat, that skirt is black. The chrome numbers would look great there, and not be on the fence. Wonder what others think of this plan?

-Jeff

Lol

Vinyl same place as Rockie69. I think the state where the boat is registrared dictates the placement of the registrar number / letters. You may want to check that out before you put them on then have to move them.

There's nothing in the WI DNR regs book that specifies how high the numbers have to be.

On the safe boating online information for WI (not the DNR site) they specify that the numbers have to be as high above the water line as practical.

So if I do this on the skirt, though 100% effective and practical, might be a gamble. I'll decide when they come in.

-J

I believe the standard requirements are 3" in height. One thing about on the skirting, with the grooves on there, the numbers may not stick very well. They might seem fine at first, but when water gets in that groove and gets behind, they will fall off over time I would think.

These are the dome chrome letters

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Great Remedition

We have vinyl letters placed on a black nylon board our dealer sells, that we screwed to the alum skirt.

Nice and easy to remove and change if need be. No more trying to peel off the panels if we want to change colors.

Our reg numbers are on a white plastic plate that is screwed to the skirting (like semperfi's)....our dealer sells them and installed it on the boat before we took delivery.  Easy enough to change out if you decide to change the color or font of your numbers.....ours came standard 3" black numbers on a white background.

Different strokes for different folks but I am not crazy over that look IndianLakeBum

My numbers are teak veneer!  Why wood anyone use anything else????  I placed them on the skirt also.

Last edited by a moderator:
He he he you said wood... He he he

Sorry had a Beavis & Butthead moment.

Called the painter who did my last boat. Will have my numbers painted. Now to decide if I am going to name the new boat. If so, it will have something to do with Jimmy Buffett.

Cheers, Steve

Called the painter who did my last boat. Will have my numbers painted. Now to decide if I am going to name the new boat. If so, it will have something to do with Jimmy Buffett.

Cheers, Steve
"Boats to Build"   or maybe that wood be for me!

Put them on the skirt, that's where I put mine and they show up nicely  You don't want to ruin the nice paint on the playpen do you?

Back