Performance ?

ronfl

Reaction score
I recently sold my 2275 RL with a 90HP Yamaha. I'm now looking at several boats to replace it and have some questions. We boat on lake that is about 130 miles long. The 90 HP 2275 RL is a great boat but we were always looking for more speed and cruising power. My first thought is another 23' to 25' boat with a 150. I just looked at a 2575 RL with a 5.0 L V8. I have very mixed feelings on a IO in a pontoon. How will this perform compared to an outboard. Is the extra weight of the IO worth it? I realize the motor is just part of the equation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one good thing is you get free power steering. B) Seriously, you'll probably love the HP increase over the 90 but maintenance will be more costly on the i/o. It's harder to work on the motor in a little box but while under warranty, who cares. Enjoy whatever you find.

I've had no I/O experience in a tritoon, however I'm on my second I/O on a deep V open bow boat. I/O's are nice when they're new, however maintenance gets very expensive after a few years. And I/O's are very, very difficult to work on tritoons due to there being less shoulder room in a toon than in a 8' wide fiberglass hull.

Tritoons are very susceptible to heavy weights in the rear, and modern outboards put out so much power--pound for pound. There are some I/O tritoon boats out there that are very fast, however they're also incredibly expensive investments.

Our lake has many straight inboard mahogany runabouts from the 40's, 50's and 60's, and they seem to last forever. Have you ever noticed how marine salvage yards are packed full of perfectly good I/O hulls with the engines out of them? And, they're never re-engined.

Most owners on this forum stick with the power, quietness and fuel mileage that a modern outboard engine affords. Put'em on an aluminum hull, and they'll last just about forever. My Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke is a 1985 model bought new, and it still runs great. Modern 4 stroke motors will even last longer than my old motor.

I've only had 2 boats..........both w/the same 4.3L V6 I/O. The only difference is my current one on my toon is fuel injected and the 1st was one was carbureted. We sold our 1993 Maxum runabout in 2008 after 15 great years and we still see it on our lake. The couple who owns it told us that it still runs great and it's coming up on 20 years old. I was and still am a stickler for regular quality maintenance on both engines and I believe if you take care of

it...... it'll last! I used to do "All" the maintenance on my 1st boat.........on my Bennington the mechanics at my marina now do it.............lazy in my old age I guess.....

I can only speak from an I/O's perspective because that's all I've ever had and what we're familiar with..........after almost 20 years of ownership I've learned that they are reliable, quiet, have plenty of power and quick acceleration for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing or just cruising, and has longevity.

I have no I/O experience but have had friends that have. We live in the south and the only downside I know of with I/O is the issue of winterizing them. There are times in the winter where we might get some beautiful weather and want to go for a cruise or go fishing With the I/O, you would have to winterize again if you were to do that. With the outboard, it's not a problem. Just something to think about depending on what you might do with your boat in the off season.

My family had 3 I/O runabouts during my time growing up as a kid. Each had engine issues after 4-5 years of pulling water skiers and tubers. We also had a 1974 Harris FloteBoat I/O pontoon with a 120hp 4cyl (chevy2)/OMC outdrive. It was sold 20 years ago to another person on the same lake. That boat is still running like a top, although the engine has spent most of its life running below 3000 rpm's. Not bad after 39 years. Routine maintenance is a bit more cumbersome than an outboard, but I certainly wouldn't let that deter me from buying one if that's the direction you choose to go.

However, it's always been my belief that while running the larger waterways, people tend to run faster for a much longer period of time. On a pontoon, that equates to higher rpm's (4000+) for an extended time. A marine engine is under constant load. An I/O is still a car engine purposed for marine use. I wouldn't dream of running my car down the road pulling a loaded trailer at 4000+rpm's and expect it to live very long. A two or four stroke outboard is designed just for that purpose and are quite happy to run at those rpm's all day long.

With the advanced technology and broad hp range of the new 2 and 4 stroke outboards, I see no need to own an I/O for recreational use. From a reliability standpoint, the 4 stroke outboard would be my first choice for any pontoon.

You may want to talk with the Professional Off-Shore Fishermen. They are using a lot of Outboard powered Center Consoles. (Granted, you are looking at a Bennington pontoon boat) However, the point is, those Off-Shore guys expect durability, performance, fuel economy and best bang for the buck.

It is my understanding, the Off-Shore guy expects a minimum of 12 to 1500 hours out of their Yamaha 350's. They run those engines hard. Subject to failure, it is also much easier to exchange the outboard engine. The decision would typically compare initial cost, warranty period, Technician expertise, cost of operation, performance and residual value.

Further, the I/O lower unit has a fixed "X" dimension. Wherever the lower unit was initially installed is where it remains. The problem with that includes skag to road surface, Prop shaft height for CG change and performance adjustment. The rebuttal may include "Just trim the out-drive out to address those points". However, "dialing in an "X" dimension out-drive" can be somewhat frustrating. The Pontoon boat has a long deck allowing the load to move about. That moving load then moves the center of gravity sweet spot out side of the desired "Envelope".

While not a perfect world solution, IMHO, the Yamaha 350/Hydraulic Jack Plate combination is the best choice.

How will a 5 L IO perform compared to an Outboard? Would a 150 or 200 OB comare to the MPH?

ronfl,

my 2 cents:

I owned a 2006 Bennington 2275 IO 5.0L fuel injected, Volvo Penta SX drive triple toon w/ lifting strakes all 3 tubes inside and outside. The boat topped out at 47 mph (gps) very solid ride, cruise at 28 mph 3500rpm. Very thirsty engine!

Current boat 2012 Bennington 22SSI Mercury 150 4 stroke outboard, triple toon XL performance package (lifting strakes center tube, foils on the inside of the outer tubes & under deck wave shields,) the boat tops out at 43 mph (gps) smooth dry ride cruise at 26 mph 3600 rpm. very easy on fuel. This boat is much quicker out of the hole!

Riverbill

That is what I was looking for!

ronfl,

my 2 cents:

I owned a 2006 Bennington 2275 IO 5.0L fuel injected, Volvo Penta SX drive triple toon w/ lifting strakes all 3 tubes inside and outside. The boat topped out at 47 mph (gps) very solid ride, cruise at 28 mph 3500rpm. Very thirsty engine!

Current boat 2012 Bennington 22SSI Mercury 150 4 stroke outboard, triple toon XL performance package (lifting strakes center tube, foils on the inside of the outer tubes & under deck wave shields,) the boat tops out at 43 mph (gps) smooth dry ride cruise at 26 mph 3600 rpm. very easy on fuel. This boat is much quicker out of the hole!

Riverbill

Well went to see our dealer today! God I should stay out of that place. :unsure:

Looked at a 2275 GL with a yamaha 150 hp, 32" ellipitcals lifting strakes and wave sheild among many other items!

I think it may be the one!

:blink:

Dealer said for a couple more $$ we could opt for the 2574 GL and gain some size that would be nice on the large lake wetoon on!

I have a 250 Merc Verado on my 257GLI, and it goes 50 mph by gps. A big block 496 cu in I/O Bennington 2575Q something on my pier goes 53. I am pretty sure he uses more fuel. I truly think a modern 4 stroke outboard is hard to beat: price, weight, service. Just my opinion.

convienience

How will a 5 L IO perform compared to an Outboard? Would a 150 or 200 OB comare to the MPH?

I'm pretty much past the IO..... I think an outboard is in my future!

I have a 250 Merc Verado on my 257GLI, and it goes 50 mph by gps. A big block 496 cu in I/O Bennington 2575Q something on my pier goes 53. I am pretty sure he uses more fuel. I truly think a modern 4 stroke outboard is hard to beat: price, weight, service. Just my opinion.

convienience

The dealers like the O/B better because of the ease of service for them. For a out of warranty boat, the O/B builders are doing what OEM car builders did to us in the 80's. No access to information. The new O/Bs are great. I just really like not having to look over a engine when watching the skier.

Back