PFD use and industry leadership

goldnrod24

Reaction score
There's not a lot of crossover between this site and the BM Facebook page, so I'm going to make a link. Today, BM made a post on their FB page about boating safety.

My reply follows. As stated, I have the upmost respect for the BM management team.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"OK, I'm going to raise this issue with a great deal of respect for BM and its leadership team members.

Here I go..... If Bennington really wants to be a leader in the industry, it's time to walk the talk. There are examples of Bennington product photos where children are NOT wearing a PFD while underway. This needs to stop.

Bennington can stay on top by modeling desired safety behaviors."

Your thoughts?

In some states it is legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I would not think any less of a motorcycle company that advertises with riders not wearing helmets. Nor do I think less of those that wear helmets in states that permit you to ride without one.

I would however, raise a brow if there were a car commercial with a toddler running around in the back of a station wagon. (Yes, I was born in the 60's)

I see your point and I would hope that when photographing or filming to market a product, all laws of the state are followed. If not, to me it is a black eye.

There's not a lot of crossover between this site and the BM Facebook page, so I'm going to make a link. Today, BM made a post on their FB page about boating safety.

My reply follows. As stated, I have the upmost respect for the BM management team.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"OK, I'm going to raise this issue with a great deal of respect for BM and its leadership team members.

Here I go..... If Bennington really wants to be a leader in the industry, it's time to walk the talk. There are examples of Bennington product photos where children are NOT wearing a PFD while underway. This needs to stop.

Bennington can stay on top by modeling desired safety behaviors."

Your thoughts?

Being responsible is always the best idea, but in all industries there are oversights.

What is most important is that parents take the lead role in monitoring and enforcing safety measures on their own children and report any safety hazard to others.

Sad to say but when travelling in the rural south I still see kids in the back of pickups being driven by parents.

29832753.jpg

Not making light of this topic, but I remember in the 80's my two cousins and I got to ride home from swimming in the TRUNK of a little Toyota car! It was only about a 4 block ride though.

yes, it is legal to ride in the back of a pickup in Alabama, and the mandatory age limit for kids to wear a PFD while boating is under 8 years of age.

Back