Photobucket ripoff

Maynard G. Krebs

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses Photobucket to post pictures here. They recently replaced all the 3rd party hosted pics (forum pictures that have a PB link) with a message saying I have to *upgrade* my plan. I was expecting them to nick me for $20-30. Nope, they want $400, PER YEAR, for the upgrade. Photobucket must have Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli running things now. Remember him? He's the guy that raised the price of a drug called Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750.  Bye bye Photobucket, you're going the way of the Dodo with moves like that.

I use photobucket for my pic hosting but if that same thing happens to my account it's time to go searching for a new host.  Imageshack used to be a main PB competitor in the photo hosting market......haven't tried them in a while so not saying they are a good hosting replacement.

imageshack website

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I haven't used  photobucket but noticed a couple days ago that someone's (don't remember who now) 3 pictures they posted said that in place of the pictures they were trying to post. I didn't comment then thinking it was just a glitch on my end. 

I've used PB for years. That will be ending ....... also, lately their site is slow as can be and crashes all the time. I just have to retrieve my years of photos off there and give them the boot .......

You can't even navigate the site due to all the ads now. Bummer. 

I have not looked into it but if what your saying is true $400 a year that's  Business suicide for Photobucket I don't know anyone that would pay $400 a year to host photos online. 

I just checking it out these are Per Year costs 

$9.99 5k in photos no adds 

$29.99 10k in photos No adds 

$49. 99 25k in photos No adds 

where did you see $400?

$399.99 is 500GB/yr plan

They are offering three plans:

Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting. 52GB storage for $5.99/mo. or $59.99/yr.

Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting. 102GB storage for $9,99/mo. or  $99.99/yr.

Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and 3rd Party Hosting. $39.99/mo. or $399.99/yr.

So yes, there are cheaper plans for storage only but if you want your pics to show up on a forum (3rd party hosting) you're in for $400 per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your pics in the gallery and post them from there.

I also have a question. How do you get the photos from Bucket back to ones computer?

I also have a question. How do you get the photos from Bucket back to ones computer?

There should be a download option. I see it on my PB page. 

Back