Picked up our first boat today (pics)

Congrats and enjoy the new boat!

Jack

Still wondering if anyone has an opinion on that extension piece on the motor? Is it something I should ask the dealer about?

My Mistake 

Last edited by a moderator:
I googled the extension kits and they are out there but I couldn't find one that is made by Yamaha. I'm wondering how this would affect my warranty should something happen. I'm going to call the dealer on it tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Let us know. Yours is the first I've seen.

No updates yet?????

Well, the dealer said all of their tritoons come with the extended shaft to perform properly. Said its not an extension kit.

I'd call Yamaha and give them your serial number and see what shaft length they say it has. That is the first I have heard of a dealer saying this. Especially since the motors are typically purchased through Bennington. Can you get some photos that show the motor a little better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Yamaha. They said that it has the extended 25" shaft and that it is standard equipment on the F150XB motor. I asked if that's what is normally installed on a tritoon, and he said it's up to Bennington which motor is installed. I guess I could call Bennington, but everything up to this point seems to be on the up and up.

I guess you are good to go then. I don't know why it looked different in the picture. Maybe I'm nuts!

Lakeliving,

I was compare our two motors and it looks like the same piece is on both of our boats. Let me know if what you were seeing is something different. See here:

648708abce3d63da651af810a95d221c_zpst1tqcq2q.jpg

e5374c193ce2bdb010cb1ec8e536d556_zpsznhicuu6.jpg

Here is a better photo of mine. Look at the distance between the power head and the prop. Yours curves back, then drops down 8" or so until the plate above the prop. My distance is much shorter. Plus I only have 3 bolts visible on each side of the lower unit, I see 6 on each side of yours.

SAM_3587_zps969f2548.jpg

Ah yes, much better picture. I don't know then. Everyone is telling me that's how it's supposed to be.

I finally got a straight answer to this question from a buddy who works in the service department at the dealership where we bought the boat:

"The extension piece your seeing is because you have an "extra long shaft" engine, we put these on all of our tritoon boats. Your prop wouldn't grab water without it, it would be to close to the tube and the water displaced from it."

Keep in mind this is from probably the most well-respected and regarded dealership in the area. I'm comfortable trusting that they know what they're doing.

I guess that confirms what we thought it was. Question is, why didn't they just order the 25" shaft motor from the start????? I guess it is the same in the end but an extra step to get there.

Back