Placement of Transom-Mount Sensor

:D Yours works up to 15 MPH. Mine works up and through WOT. I'll keep mine, and don't expect me to trade with you. :)
I'll take a pic or video of mine in motion. It didn't work when I first got my boat because it was mounted up so high that the toon was blocking the water, and yes, creating a "dirty water" situation. I'm certainly not arguing the point; just telling that mine didn't work, but after lowering it, it works at any/all speeds that my boat is capable of running, which is a little over 36 MPH.

This is where mine is mounted now. Notice the three holes where the dealer had it mounted. I also have it angled to compensate for the angle of the boat as it rides.

full

full
That thing is huge! I guess you guys have to make a conscious effort to remember that transducer is there when you're swimming/floating around back there.

The muskrats on our lake would love that! They would have a place to sit while they're chewing on that wire! Ha!

It does look pretty big in that pic. I think it's about 6 - 7" long. The one that came on my first boat for the Garmin Echo 101, was a little stubby thing about 2 - 3" long.

About these muskrats; do they come out of the water to chew on wiring that's run above the water line or do they tend to stay in the water and chew on those wires that are submerged? I don't know much about these little beasts.

They came in the drain hole in the center tube and chewed the main harness for the engine and the transducer cable. Over 2k to replace the harness plus towing the boat. An aluminum screen will work to cover the hole.

Mine works at all speeds. My wife watches it religiously......

About these muskrats; do they come out of the water to chew on wiring that's run above the water line or do they tend to stay in the water and chew on those wires that are submerged? I don't know much about these little beasts.
My neighbor across the cove has one living under his dock. He was chewing on the heavy rubber air lines to his submerged lift. They've tried to trap him unsuccessfully and sometimes comes out of the water and suns himself on their concrete ramp. (I told him I have a spare revolver he could use. Ha!) He has since put some kind of heavy duty steel tape of some kind to reinforce the rubber tubing. They haven't touched our boat. Might have to get that product that Carl provided a link to in the off season.....

Went out on another sunset cruise, last evening, and remembered to video my depth finder at higher speeds. Sorry about the shaky vid, but at dusk dark you have to watch too many things around to make quality vids, but you get the picture. They “will” work over 15MPH. In this one, you can see that I’m at 35.7 MPH.

Last edited:
Back