Placing our order tomorrow!

To Tooner's point, Bennington's brochure says power assisted steering is recommended on triple tube boats with 150 hp and up.

To the strakes issue, I have only the strakes that come with the SPS package and am completely satisfied. My 21' SLX runs 43 (GPS) and handles like a dream.

43 is very nice. I guess the G weighs 400-500 lbs more and the boat is a tad longer, so I'm guessing I won't see those speeds. I've been hoping it'll touch 40 MPH with just a couple of people though.

My thoughts.... I didn't ask Bennington directly why they recommend it or don't. I asked my dealer. Their opinion on recommending it or not could be based on their personal experience, or the fact that they know I've maxed out my budget. I don't know. On Benningtons website, it does say recommended for boats with 150 HP or more. 

I test drove a SPS boat with a 115. At higher speeds and turning hard, I did notice it became fairly difficult to turn and certainly required two hands. That was a SPDX boat that I test drove. I am fairly young myself and have a very young son. As he gets older, tubing will become a very popular thing to do. I definitely want to be able to whip him and his friends around. Heck, I want to be able to be whipped around behind the boat myself! 

Could I probably deal with it, without? Yeah I'm sure I could. For my intended uses though, I feel it may be a worth while upgrade. I didn't know any better before and was not informed properly about the benefits by my dealer. If I didn't ask here, I may not have ever known any better. 

:Just do it! You'll never regret it.And welcome to the group.

To Tooner's point, Bennington's brochure says power assisted steering is recommended on triple tube boats with 150 hp and up.

To the strakes issue, I have only the strakes that come with the SPS package and am completely satisfied. My 21' SLX runs 43 (GPS) and handles like a dream.

I apologize for my error. My dealer had said it was not needed with my 150. Now, having read how much most others like it, I may have ordered it as well. It points out the value of this site, and the experiences of the others. While I love our boat, maybe I could love it more. 

Welcome to the family! Looks like a awesome build. 

The good news is we like to help you spend your money. The bad news is .... we like to help you spend your money ... :p

I went back and forth on the sharkhide. Talking to me dealer, they don't seem to think it's a big deal. I am incredibly OCD and would likely detail the pontoons 2-3 times per year. If I do that, do you still think it's really worth it? 

If you are going to detail, you won't want Sharkhide. It "seals" the surface to prevent oxidation. You could polish them "then apply" but once it's on, you won't be able to "detail" them. I'd get it factory applied then spend the extra time you save "detailing" enjoying the boat..... ;)

43 is very nice. I guess the G weighs 400-500 lbs more and the boat is a tad longer, so I'm guessing I won't see those speeds. I've been hoping it'll touch 40 MPH with just a couple of people though.

Congratulations on your new Bennington! I think you made the correct decision regarding the power steering. Mine is effortless.

I'm a bit bigger/heavier than you and have only reached 39.1MPH according to my speedo (3/4 tank, four people).

However, one thing for certain is that the wind gets incredibly annoying well before I top out. IMO, if you plan on running full tilt for anything other than a short burst, better get everyone a pair of goggles.  :)

Get the sharkhide. There is a difference between scrubbing your wilderberries off and washing down with a sponge to get a nice clean look.

What do you do if the shark hide is scratched? Is beaching the boat an issue, scratching the shark hide on the bottom?

Just buy a can of it and touch up as necessary.  Just wipe it on.  Simple to apply.

18 hours ago, JsnMR2 said:My thoughts.... I didn't ask Bennington directly why they recommend it or don't. I asked my dealer. Their opinion on recommending it or not could be based on their personal experience, or the fact that they know I've maxed out my budget. I don't know. On Benningtons website, it does say recommended for boats with 150 HP or more. 

I test drove a SPS boat with a 115. At higher speeds and turning hard, I did notice it became fairly difficult to turn and certainly required two hands. That was a SPDX boat that I test drove. I am fairly young myself and have a very young son. As he gets older, tubing will become a very popular thing to do. I definitely want to be able to whip him and his friends around. Heck, I want to be able to be whipped around behind the boat myself! 

Could I probably deal with it, without? Yeah I'm sure I could. For my intended uses though, I feel it may be a worth while upgrade. I didn't know any better before and was not informed properly about the benefits by my dealer. If I didn't ask here, I may not have ever known any better. 

You're making the right choice with power assist.  You're spending a significant amount of money on the SPS package and if you want the most value from that performance package power assist is a must in my opinion. You're putting a good size motor on that boat and the power assist with SPS will allow you to maximize manuverability that boat was designed for.  You will not regret having power assist, it makes the whole boating experience more enjoyable.  Great build on your boat!

Well the order has been placed and the deposit has been given!

I added Power Assist and Sharkhide to the build as well thanks to you guys. Retail on that stuff was a little over $3,100 but they added both for $2,250 for me. I think it'll be well worth it! Glad I posted here last night, and didn't mess up something I'd regret later. 

Now, the wait for delivery begins!

Too late now, but I'd have dropped the fish finder and installed aftermarket, and dropped the rod holder and done something with aftermarket options. I installed my Garmin 53DV for around $299 if I remember price correctly. 

I thought about it, but I like the idea of everything being covered under warranty. I also have some serious audio equipment sitting at home (Mosconi amps and Focal speakers and a JL sub) that I was going to install, while skipping the factory stuff. I decided to just keep it all factory and have it all covered under warranty instead. Just trying to make my life easier. 

Hopefully the upgraded audio I selected sounds decent...

Yeah, nothing wrong with CYA.....  :D

I saw the new systems on my dealers boats and really like the look. I'd have to retrofit with the round face as I have the R helm with Sony remote. I've been checking them out. Might just buy a new sound system with a new GCW attached ....  :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, that's one great boat you have coming, you won't be upset about the power assist, I'd give up a 200hp before power assist and if you ever read any of my posts, I'd give up my,,,,,,,,,wife first!! :lol:

Don't forget the pictures!!!

Congrats on the order. That new helm looks BA. As for the power assist you will really love it. I've had all three types and the power assist is awesome.

And sealed strakes are for salt water applications is my understanding. I have them along with the salt water package in the event I move and have access to salt water boating. I'm probably one of the few benningtons in MI with "Salt Water Series" on the side of their boat!

Congrats on the order. That new helm looks BA. As for the power assist you will really love it. I've had all three types and the power assist is awesome.

And sealed strakes are for salt water applications is my understanding. I have them along with the salt water package in the event I move and have access to salt water boating. I'm probably one of the few benningtons in MI with "Salt Water Series" on the side of their boat!

+1 on the sealed strakes and Salt water package. Also agree on the Shark Hide.

As for the power assisted steering, hearing all of these positive, absolutely glowing reports on it is quickly changing me from one who said "why?", to one that is now going to ask my dealer about the retrofit upgrade. I actually had some confusion, since I had asked my dealer what the rubber plug on the top right of my helm was for, and was told it was the fill port for my power steering. I guess not in my case, since there is no pump under the helm.

So, being we are in the "sunshine state", this may become a double Bimini and power assist upgrade. The wife will be ever so pleased with me and my continued need for additional funds. Jeesh! This is an expensive site.

Expensive, enlightening, and, entertaining!

Back