Play pen covers water proof

jbm007

Reaction score
Are  the playpen covers on 2016 Bennington's water proof?

My marina is saying I should keep the boat under cover because water will seep through the cover and ruin the seats.

Just purchased a 2016 model 2075 pontoon boat.

Anyone care to comment on their experiences? My dealer says they are water proof.

I happened to have just spent an hour under mine during a downpour.  Started a project in mine when it started to rain, got the cover on and finished the project.   Overall I'd say yes, they are waterproof.  I'd get a few drops coming thru at a zipper or a seam once in a while, but for the most part, I stayed very dry.....

I also have a new boat that is stored outside at the marina. Had a heavy downpour on Friday night but Saturday when we got to the boat you would have no clue that it rained. Seats, table, storage and floor were dry as a bone. 

I do not have a play pen cover but assume this...all fabric will leak.  It should not leak initially but it will leak eventually.  Buy yourself the applicable water repellant and apply once a year if you store inside over the winter.  Apply in the spring and the fall if you store outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently purchased a 2016 Bennington 22 SSX and I called the manufacturer of our cover and asked them whether the cover comes protected.  They informed me that the covers do come protected and essentially gave the following advise:

1. No need to apply protectant immediately although it would not hurt the cover if you did

2. Suggested time to start applying protectant is after the 1st or 2nd season depending on how much exposure the cover has had to the elements.  He also included cleaning in this advice as he indicated that cleaning such as scrubbing the cover could begin to remove the factory applied protectant. 

3.  Same applies to both the cover and bimini

Hope this helps. 

Here is the link for the current manufacturer of the cover for our Bennington.  Not sure if all Bennington's have this manufacturer. 

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/PDFs/Pontoon-Boat-Cleaning-and-Care.pdf

Back