Polished Pontoons

WTingler

Reaction score
I thought I would share my results with polishing pontoons.

Used a northern Tool "Ironton" power polisher with wool bonnet .
Nuvite Polish grades F7, C, and S
Precleaned with "the works" toilet bowl cleaner
Approximately 25 man hours into project.
Sharkhide  afterward.

Easily could have invested another 5 on the final polish but was rapidly becoming tired.

Was happy enough with the final product

I don't want to do that project again for a while.
Very labor-intensive.

Photos in gallery

They look really great.  

How did you raise the boat off of the trailer to do the bottom of the pontoons?  I've got a serious bottom-cleaning project that I've got to do, but don't know how to raise the boat SAFELY to clean.

Nice job and very impressive!

Nice! Very labor intensive! 

Looks awesome!!

Looks awesome....nice job.   How much 'fling off' was there with that polish?  I initially used Gord's but hated how messy it was.  Ended up using rouge which wasn't nearly as messy.

I was black on every uncovered body surface

I do believe I used a little too much polish when I started.

As you know there is a learning curve

that being said even with an appropriate amount of polish there was plenty to fling around

For those who have not done it  but are contemplating it be sure to cover your non-polish surfaces. You can see in the photo how I used painters tape and paper to cover above the polishing surface. I wish that I covered even more.

Fortunately I was able to remove residual polish with soap and water without scratching my fencing or other surfaces.

Looks great, Its been a few years since I did mine. Starting to show some age. 

I also bought way too much nuvite polish.

I bought 1lb each grade

I could easily polish 3 more pontoons with what I bought 

I was also wondering about that....as far the amount of polish.  Yeah when I used the rouge I was black all over as well....did it two years ago.  Even with Sharkhide I can tell it's not as shiny this year but man I really do not want to do that again anytime soon.  I could hardly walk or even move for about 36 hours afterwards and I'm not kidding.

I mean 3 more pontoon boats

I'm sure there are a few here that would offer their toons to assist you in depleting your inventory. :)

Agreed.  And I'm one of them.

It might help to not do it in the middle of July though. If I do it again it will be much cooler in regards to the weather

I will tell you what I can do.

I would be happy to trade a fine polished SX model with the sps tubes for a non polished q model with the center elliptical tube. 

Very nice!  They look fantastic!

A Porter Cable dual action polisher with a 7" wool bonnet and a polish takes 30 minutes per toon--outsides only.

While it's not a mirror image, it's shiny enough.  And I polish it 1x a year.

If I thought I could maintain a mirror image, I'd be using a rouge on the boat.  But it's just too much labor.

To get the black oxide off with lacquer thinner is the massive job--before applying Sharkhide.  I keep getting black smudges in the Sharkhide, and I'm too much a perfectionist to deal with the stuff.

Back