Poll Question for owners with snap on mooring covers

Dennis T.

Reaction score
How many snaps have you broken/pulled through? just thought it would be a good one to ask. for me: two. have not repaired them yet.

lakeliving

Reaction score
I have one that got crushed by something and is bent. And had one replaced years ago. Aside from that the snaps are holding up good.

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
One, still not fixed, at the port quarter, and it was my fault because I yanked sideways hoping it would pop off - but of course, it didn't.
Now, for all the tight ones (bow, stern corners), I use this tool. All the ones along the side pop easily by hand.

Edit: I should point out that the cover is 12 years old and my brother owned it first. So the snaps were fine for 11 years until I got impatient.

Snap Tool.JPG

Last edited:

JTaylor

Reaction score
None broken for me.

BigKahuna

Reaction score
0. The local canvas guy did a super job with the Sunbrella fabric.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I haven’t broken any snaps, but I did break two of my side clips the first two weeks I had the boat. Now I know how to do it better due to a post on here that I think SemperFi put up a long time ago.

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
Last boat with snaps, 5 years, zero issues. This one, 3 years, quick clips with snaps along bow, zero issues.

Alicedream

Reaction score
I only have snaps in the front and my 3rd one broke today!

Dennis T.

Reaction score
One, still not fixed, at the port quarter, and it was my fault because I yanked sideways hoping it would pop off - but of course, it didn't.
Now, for all the tight ones (bow, stern corners), I use this tool. All the ones along the side pop easily by hand.

View attachment 25447
I have that tool as well, it works good, need to always use it. one was that way when i got the boat, the other was done when someone was "helping" me unsnap, no more, i can do it myself..;>)

DaveyJ

Reaction score
Have 3 snaps that are pulling out but the cover is rotting away.......

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
I always pop the snaps with thumb on snap and pinch the fabric between thumb and finger kind of roll the snap off upwards. I NEVER pull on the fabric to pop the snap. How are you guys/gals typically doing it if not using a tool?

Mike31406

Reaction score
I have no issues with my snaps. Chap stick is a good idea.

swiftm

Reaction score
None on cover. Only snap that’s ever broken was the one on my ladder after 2 years. The guy at the shop just gave me a handful, but that one is the only one I’ve ever used - no problem since.

sjhorner9475

Reaction score
Last boat with snaps, 6 years, no issues. This one, 7 months, quick clips with snaps along bow, no issues. When we took possession of this boat there was one bow snap that was misaligned. The dealer installed a new stap. No problems.

Dennis T.

Reaction score
lost another one to go to 3 total. need to get them fixed now. ill look for a seamstress locally but have no idea since never have done that before. ill also start using the chapstick i think.