Pontoon Boat Lift Questions & Pressure Treated Wood Use On Lift?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that there is a bad chemical reaction between P/T wood and aluminum that results in serious damage to aluminum pontoons, is this true?

My location is on a freshwater lake.

Is it ok to lift a boat with two 25" pontoons on 2"X8" flat lumber that runs underneath the length of the pontoons and is properly supported? 

How do the 1" pontoon keels hold up in this situation?

Is it necessary to cover the lumber with something?

The lift in question uses four PVC guide posts to align the boat on the lift before lifting..

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall reading that there is a bad chemical reaction between P/T wood and aluminum that results in serious damage to aluminum pontoons, is this true?

My location is on a freshwater lake.

Is it ok to lift a boat with two 25" pontoons on 2"X8" flat lumber that runs underneath the length of the pontoons and is properly supported? 

How do the 1" pontoon keels hold up in this situation?

Is it necessary to cover the lumber with something?

The lift in question uses four PVC guide posts to align the boat on the lift before lifting..

Thank you.
I am in the process of ordering the material for my conversion from a hull boat lift to a Tri Pontoon lift.  I am glad you asked these questions.  In one of my recent threads a picture of a lift was posted and they had 3 2X8's with carpet lifting straight up on the 1" pontoon keels.  The bunks are a simple design and this is what I am going with unless someone says I shouldn't.

I am in the process of ordering the material for my conversion from a hull boat lift to a Tri Pontoon lift.  I am glad you asked these questions.  In one of my recent threads a picture of a lift was posted and they had 3 2X8's with carpet lifting straight up on the 1" pontoon keels.  The bunks are a simple design and this is what I am going with unless someone says I shouldn't.
I'm converting from a hull lift too. Seems to me that carpet might get torn up pretty quick by the keel?

Possibly some sort of rubber material could be better than carpet?

I'm converting from a hull lift too. Seems to me that carpet might get torn up pretty quick by the keel?
I am going to post his pic again, I don't think he will mind.  It looks like you can see where the keels run, and the carpet is not torn.  Well, I cannot figure out how to post pic, but here is link to thread it is in

Also, what length of the 2X8 are you going with?  Can anyone else tell me what the proper length to use is.  I am not sure if 12' or 14' is what I need to use.

Also, do you know what type of brackets you are going to use, if you have a pic or a link, that would be great.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/4799-new-owner-few-questions/

Is it ok to lift a boat with two 25" pontoons on 2"X8" flat lumber that runs underneath the length of the pontoons and is properly supported?   NO PROBLEM WITH TWO 2x8's UNDER EACH TOON.

How do the 1" pontoon keels hold up in this situation?  THE 1" KEELS ARE VERY STRONG AND POSE NO PROBLEM.

Is it necessary to cover the lumber with something?  NO COVERING IS REQUIRED--PLAIN SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE IS PREFERRED WOOD--NOT PRESSURIZED.

Here's ours.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

I believe they are 12' but I'll measure later to be sure.

Take note that Carl's cradle is nearly as long as the boards. A small cradle with 4ft of board hanging off the front and rear isn't going to be supporting the full 12 ft.

Here's ours.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg
What is the distance between your cross members? How are the support boards attached to the cross members?

Take note that Carl's cradle is nearly as long as the boards. A small cradle with 4ft of board hanging off the front and rear isn't going to be supporting the full 12 ft.
Yes, I was thinking this also.  My summer home is still snowed in so I don't have measurements of my cradle.  I will purchase the

2X8X12 and go from there.

Is it ok to lift a boat with two 25" pontoons on 2"X8" flat lumber that runs underneath the length of the pontoons and is properly supported?   NO PROBLEM WITH TWO 2x8's UNDER EACH TOON.

How do the 1" pontoon keels hold up in this situation?  THE 1" KEELS ARE VERY STRONG AND POSE NO PROBLEM.

Is it necessary to cover the lumber with something?  NO COVERING IS REQUIRED--PLAIN SOUTHERN YELLOW PINE IS PREFERRED WOOD--NOT PRESSURIZED.
Why not use aluminum safe pressure treated wood?

I wonder if P/T wood wil do something negative to a SharkHide toon treatment? 

What is the distance between your cross members? How are the support boards attached to the cross members?
Boards are 12' long and the aluminum I beams are 9' apart. There are carriage bolts through the boards with a clamp on the bottom to hold them on.

Boards are 12' long and the aluminum I beams are 9' apart. There are carriage bolts through the boards with a clamp on the bottom to hold them on.
Are the bolts and clamps galvanized or stainless?

Thanks!

Just thought I would post a forever solution in case anyone wondered what-if? 6" wide aluminum C Channel made from 6061 is available from most metal suppliers in whatever length you want, for (if memory serves correctly) right around $10 a foot. Kfor less than $400, you are done forever when converting a lift. Just a thought.

Are the bolts and clamps galvanized or stainless?

Thanks!
Pretty sure they're galvanized but I'll look close when I take the boat out again. Hopefully this week.

Just thought I would post a forever solution in case anyone wondered what-if? 6" wide aluminum C Channel made from 6061 is available from most metal suppliers in whatever length you want, for (if memory serves correctly) right around $10 a foot. Kfor less than $400, you are done forever when converting a lift. Just a thought.
Don't understand your reference to the aluminum C channel, what exactly is it and how would it be installed?

Back