Pontoon damage estimate

Mike DeNomie

Reaction score
The boatyard where I store my boat in the winter damaged it when hauling it out of the water last year. There are a couple of significant dents and scratches. One very deep scratch. There is no puncture and the boat is totally usable. I used it all summer.

They acknowledged that they caused the damage and are willing to compensate me with free storage and/or service. My problem is knowing what it is worth. I need help putting a dollar amount on it so I can negotiate with them. I saw on other posts that pontoon replacement can run $3k+. I don't want to replace it I just want them to compensate me for what I'll lose in resale. Anyone have any thoughts on a dollar amount? See pictures please. Model is 20 SSX.

Attachments

• IMG_20171019_115025.jpg
    IMG_20171019_115025.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20171019_115045.jpg
    IMG_20171019_115045.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 126
That Sucks ! What year is the 20 SSX? Both tubes? Why compensate? Let them turn it into there insurance company and get it fixed? Just my opinion, members with similar issues will chime in, keep checking your post. Good Luck !

That Sucks ! What year is the 20 SSX? Both tubes? Why compensate? Let them turn it into there insurance company and get it fixed? Just my opinion, members with similar issues will chime in, keep checking your post. Good Luck !

That's a good thought. It's a 2016 and damage is only on 1 tube.

That new of a boat I’d have them replace it. The money is nice but you’ll never replace it down the road for what they pay you now if you wanted too.

I’d never accept compensation, only replacement. I personally, would not buy your boat unless HIGHLY discounted (like $5-6K to get another toon) due to the damage.

My port side was damaged by a hit and run at our previous marina in 2015 .
Tab was $3500.00 to replace by an Authorized Bennington Dealer
I agree ,replacement only .

Last edited:
Ouch! Keep us posted as to how it all works out for you.

That's a good thought. It's a 2016 and damage is only on 1 tube.
You wouldn't drive your car around with a smashed up fender, and want compensation you would get it fixed for resale. Try and get both tubes replaced, probably look stupid with one new tube. Or at least have them pay to have tube polished up to look new.

I agree with others above - particularly with a 2016. Easy claim, with admitted fault. Let them get it rectified over the winter, and then you’ll be good to go next summer.

You wouldn't drive your car around with a smashed up fender, and want compensation you would get it fixed for resale.
I couldn't agree more.

Oh that'll buff out! Ha! Seriously have it replaced!

New toon please! I would not take a storage credit.

What does the warranty cover. My one toon has a leak and I have no idea why. Pulled boat out of water last night

I would definitely replace your toon. You don’t want to be on the water worrying. You won’t be able to enjoy your boat

I would definitely replace your toon. You don’t want to be on the water worrying. You won’t be able to enjoy your boat
Hi Russ. The post is 5 years old, and the OP never reported back. They haven’t peaked into the forum in over a year. You could try PM’ing them directly and see if they respond.

As to your warranty question, do a search in the upper right hand corner search box. The actual warranty details have been posted in a couple of threads very recently. What year and model is your boat? Still under warranty?

Basic process is it needs to be inspected by an authorized Bennington dealer. Then depending on if it looks like warranty damage, or insurance claim due to accident, misuse, etc… they would write up and submit a warranty claim to Bennington. Bennington makes a final decision and if accepted as a warranty claim, authorizes repairs that would go through or be coordinated with your Bennington dealership.

Typically a small leak in a pontoon can be fixed right up nicely by a good aluminum welder. I had a pontoon leak warranty claim in 2019 or 2020 (?) on our port side pontoon. Warranty claim process went smoothly and quickly, and so did the repairs.

Good luck!

Back