Pontoon Lift

Ainival

Reaction score
I have a 2275 RCW ESP and will be purchasing a lift that uses bunks and lifts my boat by the pontoons. Does anyone know what Bennington recommends as far as bunk lengths and how many bunks? (2 or 3). I did a search and couldn't find answer. Thanks for your help.

Bennington recommends at least supporting where nose and tail cones are welded to the tubes. Can't answer the other question ??

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 sets of bunks on my Shorestation are 14' long and they seem to work just fine for my 2275 ESP. This is a 6000# hydraulic lift where the bunk supports are a little further apart lengthwise at 12'.

My bunks are 12' long and no problem. Pics aare in my gallery.

Based on the specs my 22 sslx needed the boards to be 16' I ended up going with a vertical lift but mine lifts the boat with 2x12's that act as guides when coming into the lift. My lift is only 114" but I can bring the boat in during a 20mph cross wind with out hitting anything.

You'll need to support all 3 hulls with the ESP full length toon.

I built a 4" channel steel rack to fit underneath my tritoon last year with 5 crossmembers.

Each toon is sitting on two 18' 2x6's (southern yellow pine), and the boards are about 3" apart. The rear of the boards are about 3' from the rear of the toons and the front of the boards are right at the seam at the back of the nosecones.

I'm not using pressure treated wood, as the boat sits completely out of the water and under a roof--like in a garage.

Thanks for the responses. I'm wondering, since everyones lift is different, maybe there is no recommendation from Bennington. There probably should be.

Bennington is a pontoon manufacturer, and they have chosen to stay out of a subject like this in the past.

They once did say that if an owner was using lateral bunks, braces should be close to the rear end (because of weight of motor) and a cross support should be at the back of the nosecone. I assume this is where the strongest points of the boat are.

Like you said, everyone has a slightly different method of elevating pontoon boats.

If they have chosen to stay out of this subject, I don't agree. I'm not looking for them to recommend a certain brand, I just want what is the best option for the type of lift I'm looking for. They are the manufacturer and they should know, structurally, the best way to support the boat while on a lift. Is it with 2 or 3 bunks and how long should they be.

Our own Team Bennington admin has provided a lot of info and specs on this board to help owners make the right choice for their individual boat models and types, of which there are a huge number(!), and various water and docking situations.

Here is post that explains the basic requirement to support the end caps and centers adequately.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2389-capacities/#entry23114

There are also posts, if you search a bit on your own, which explain that their 3 toon boats are engineered to be trailered on 2 sets of bunks, though I prefer 3 myself. This should apply to a lift as well since of course it is static. Hope that helps.

Back