Pontoon ticking when taken out of water

Andy H

Reaction score
I took my pontoon out of the water and one of the toons was making a ticking noise. It did not appear to be leaking. It did this for about 45 minutes to an hour. Any idea what this could have been?

Very strange. Is it kept on a trailer? Maybe shake test to listen if water sloshes around just to rule out it has water in that pontoon? Or if you’ve already definitively ruled that out, maybe record the sound and share it.

Many others are more technically knowledgeable, so hopefully some of them can provide some insights. I know I’m baffled based on your description. Strange.

Similar situation happened to us with our old Bennington I/O. We put our boat back on the trailer and heard a hissing/ticking sound. Grabbed a mechanic from the shop and he said that it sounds like air is escaping or the air inside the pontoon is trying to equalize with the outside air. We were like what?!? Ha! Anyway he checked it pretty thoroughly and didn't find any leaks. Air or water. We never had any problems after that so we didn't think anything of it! But that was the explanation we got!

Aluminum expands with temperature rise. Your 23 ft aluminum boat will increase in length by 1/16 inch with a 20 degree (F) rise. Temperature change can occur when when a boat is pulled from cool water into warmer air. Difference in sun exposure can also create a temperature differential. Expanding hot water pipes have been known to make ticking sounds. It is probable that this dynamic is the source of the ticking sound.

Benningtons are DA BOMB! :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Back