Pontoon vs Tritoon

rehlingc

Reaction score
We're buying our first pre-owned boat in many years.  After lots of consideration about what we wanted to do out on the lake, we've decided on a Bennington pontoon boat.  I drove a 2009 2275GFI tritoon with a Yamaha 150 and thought the ride was fantastic.  There is also a 2011 2275FSI at another local dealer with the same Yamaha 150 but its a pontoon.  I have not driven the 2011.  Both boats seem to be reasonably priced and I'm good with both deck layouts.  My question is whether its worth considering a two year newer boat knowing that it is not a tritoon.  Looking for some Bennington owner experience input......will the ride with the 2011 150 hp be that much different between a pontoon and a tritoon?  I've heard it is.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks and hope Santa is good to everyone.

If your going to use it for tubing, skiing, rougher water, get the tri-toon. We sold our two toon 2013 and ordered a 2014 with the sps triton package after driving one if that helps. The ride is totally different.

Yup, what Andy said, if you plan to tube and horse around with teenage or older, tri toon is the way. 2 pontoons is fine when they are really young, but once they get older, they want to be whipped out of the wake more. That is until they get TOO old, then they don't anymore.......(not mentioning any club members names! Haha) and definitely for rougher waters.

Thanks, all.  You're confirming what I suspected.  My kids are all college age and while my wife and I would prefer to just cruise, our young adults will want to sling themselves and friends around a little bit.  Thanks again....big help.

Thanks, all.  You're confirming what I suspected.  My kids are all college age and while my wife and I would prefer to just cruise, our young adults will want to sling themselves and friends around a little bit.  Thanks again....big help.
Well that comment only reaffirms the previous statement. College kids probably also means that a few friends might tag along, the extra buoyancy of a tritoon will make a big difference. Is it a full length center toon or an express tube?

Plus, within 5 years, they will be bringing significant others and shortly after that, kidlings. I like your thinking.

We seldom see 150 hp on a regular twin toon boat. Does the newer boat by chance have the elliptical toons, which are oval in shape? And does it have lifting strakes?

If it's an elliptical hull boat, the newer hull should be a very seaworthy boat--and faster than the tritoon in a straight line. The ellipticals have comparable weight carrying capability, but just don't handle quite as well as a tritoon in tight turns. Otherwise, performance is great.

The newer boat (pontoon) is elliptical hull, but it sounds like in sifting through the above, with the type of crew/party I'll be carrying, the extra buoyancy of the tritoon probably wins out. Thanks!

We just ordered a tritoon was well.  I have a regular pontoon that pretends its a submarine with a full boat and we hit waves.  It also gets very wet inside on choppy water at just 15 mph and leans way left since that is where all my seating is and the gas tank.  My boat also flexes like crazy over choppy water due to the missing center toon.  I'm sure a Bennington pontoon is better than mine, but choppy water is the enemy of all regular pontoons, get the tritoon!!

Back