Power Assist

Good deal Alicedream, you will be happy that you did it!  Glad it worked out for you!

Update for the forum on my hydraulic steering issue with my 2016 2275 GL SPS F200 Yamaha.  My dealer installed the power assist this week. It was installed under the helm.  I put the Benny back in the water today and I still can't wipe the smile off my face!  There is not much noise and no interference with stereo :D .  Many of you have written how much better the steering with power assist is, but I never expected it to be that awesome!  My epiphany on this was that when you get the SPS package with a 150hp to 200hp motors and you only have hydraulic steering, you're leaving significant percentage of the performance that the SPS package offers on the table.  I could do things today with the boat performance wise in turns at high  and low speed that were not possible a week ago.  It just makes the whole boat more enjoyable. 

I want to thank the whole team at Midwest Marine in Harrisonville, MO for getting this done. They have been great to work with even when I have not been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this!

As I said before with others on this forum. I'd never go back to a non power steering boat. Glad to hear you love the boat even more! Another benefit is the maneuvering of the boat in tight spots at the docks.

The negotiated price was $2,800. It was originally $3,600 but that included a steering helm which was not needed. Checked  around with other dealers and that is a fair price.  It was worth every penny.

Thanks Alicedream.  I bought an edson powerknob for the steering wheel a while back and it's been awesome for turns and docking.  What a product edson makes.  Still a little heavy but totally manageable.  I charter my Benni and have been contemplating an autopilot for return trips in the dark from sunset tours that I think would be more beneficial at that price point.  I bet if you added an edson powerknob to your power assist steering it would be incredible.  If you do add an edson, you have to cut the plastic on the steering wheel just a little bit in the back so it'll fit but you won't regret it!

Back