Power steering issue

25L 250hp

Reaction score
Hi group.

I have a new 2021 L25 Benny with a Yamaha 250hp SHO engine. We have been on the water for only 8 hrs. It comes with power assist steering. This is my first boat and the steering seems quite stiff I need to muscle it and my wife has some trouble as well. How smooth should the power assist steering be? I was expecting the power steering to be more like a car. I've spoke to the dealer and they said they are looking into it as the had another customer with a similar issue.

Can you hear the pump running?
I bet it is not getting power.

I have 8 hours on my new boat with power steering, 150vmax and the steering is very smooth just like a car. You can turn it with one finger. It makes a very quiet sound under the helm that you can hear when you turn the wheel. Hope they get it fixed for you!

My son was steering ours at two years old. Sounds like no power.

My son was steering ours at two years old. Sounds like no power.
He must be a big boy these days. My how time flies! My 8 y.o. granddaughter still gets lulled to sleep while on the boat, however. ;-)

I have 8 hours on my new boat with power steering, 150vmax and the steering is very smooth just like a car. You can turn it with one finger. It makes a very quiet sound under the helm that you can hear when you turn the wheel. Hope they get it fixed for you!
We have the same setup and same results.
One finger steering.

Check your fuses. I had the one that supplies the power assist blow my first yr. no trouble in the next 5 yrs. go figure

Also check your breakers .

Back