Power vs. Hydraulic Steering?

ChuckP

Reaction score
For those of you with boats with "large outboards" I have a question: Did you get the power assist steering, or did you stick with the hydraulic steering that comes with the ESP package? Id love to hear arguments both ways.

Bennington recommends power assist for motors over 150hp, but my dealer (who is the largest Bennington dealer) swears that I will be fine with hydraulic with the 200hp Optimax. Bennington engineered these craft but for $2000 I really want to believe my dealer! I have to re-order my boat (2275GCW) due to the '12 cutover and want to make sure we do it right. ;)

I have the Merc power steering on mine and love it. I have read more than once about guys with higher hp outboards not liking the hydraulic steering and wishing for the power. My opinion is if you bought the ESP, that means you probably want to use the handing performance that comes with it. That said, cranking the boat over hard to turn tight and quick is surely going to make you long for power assist in a short time. I know it costs a fair amount more, but the way my boat handles with power makes me confident I would not want it any other way.

Dad has the 225 Yamaha(on a 2275 FSI I think) with Seastar and supposedly power steering assist. To me, handling is a bit stiff and it takes both hands to make turns. I have no idea how to make sure the power steering assist is there. I wish someone on here would let me know.

I have the Merc Verado 250(on a 2275 RCW) with its built-in hydraulic steering. It gives me fingertip control at the wheel. This is the only way to go in my opinion.

Good luck,

andy

Last edited by a moderator:
AMR733, on your RCW do you have just hydraulic steering or power assist? Does the 250 Verado use a different system?

Chuck

The Mercury 250 Verados have their own built-in hydraulic steering unit. There is no need for Seastar or power assist steering with this engine. There is a hydraulic reservoir under the helm and IIRC, this unit also has other functions dealing with shifting and acceleration. The throttle is as smooth as I have ever seen on a boat. All lines running to the engine from the helm area are very neat and tidy looking. Not a lot of cables, lines, and other crap back there to get in the way aestetically or otherwise.

Hope this helps

andy

AMR733, on your RCW do you have just hydraulic steering or power assist? Does the 250 Verado use a different system?
I believe the 250 Verado comes with power steering as part of the package, mine did even though the boat already had it prefitted as an option for the 150 Verado. The 4 cyl Verados do not come standard with power. BTW,the power steering unit that came on my 2275GLi as an option was a Merc unit. The 250 Verado came shipped with a power unit as well.

So thats only on the Verado's then, not the Optimax's? And is it only the 250, or would a 200 Verado have the same steering standard?

So how were your boats spec'ed / priced? Because Seastar is part of the ESP package, and power assist is a $2000 option. Did you just order the ESP and the Verado 250 and it came setup with power assist without the additional cost? If thats the case I could go (almost) to a 225 Verado for the cost of the power assist steering plus the Optimax.

Do any of the Yamaha motors come with built in power assist steering?

So thats only on the Verado's then, not the Optimax's? And is it only the 250, or would a 200 Verado have the same steering standard?

All I know is it came on the 250 Verado.

So how were your boats spec'ed / priced?

Mine was priced as a ready to hit the water whole boat. I had an idea what I wanted cost and worked from there.

Because Seastar is part of the ESP package, and power assist is a $2000 option. Did you just order the ESP and the Verado 250 and it came setup with power assist without the additional cost?

See above answer number 1.

If thats the case I could go (almost) to a 225 Verado for the cost of the power assist steering plus the Optimax.

Do any of the Yamaha motors come with built in power assist steering?
If I understand correctly, Yamaha uses Seastar and the Bennington power steering assist.

Hope this helps,

andy

OK...Lets start at the beginning for a newbe! What is the differance between a power assist and power stearing? I thought they were just different names for the same thing? As I said I'm a newbe and some day I will need to know this when I order that Shatter! :huh: :huh: :huh:

This is my 2nd Bennington, but I have neither on our current. Its only packing a 50hp Yamaha on the back. :p My understanding is that the power-assist is like the steering in your car (ever drive a car with manual steering?) and the Hydraulic is just that a sort of "mechanical" assist. Now someone who actually knows what theyre talking about can chime in and tell us the real story. :D

I have the Hydraulic steering on mine with a 115. This just uses hydraulic lines/fluid instead of a cable system that most basic boats use. It is not power assisted, and I would not want to go with any bigger engine without having power assist....

I'm not sure I still know the differance! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I have the Seastar with power assist, and the 2574 I have turns like a dream. No issues while under power and easily turns when in no wakes zones. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was under the understanding that basically hydraulic steering is still 'tough' to turn on the larger hp motors, but say once you turn the wheel into a sharp turn, the hydraulic will help 'hold' it there so you aren't having to fight the motor to keep it from trying to basically re-center itself. So still tough to turn, but easier to hold. Keep in mind that I don't have it, want something, so just have heard some talk.

Power assist is basically your Cadillac with two finger turning. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd like to know the answer to this one :)

Derrick

Aww dang it! I think you all just cost me an additional $2000. B) Our boat is scheduled for production the end of September, so we still have like another week to make changes to our order. So basically on a 200hp like we're getting it would be a lot of work "whipping" a tuber around without power assist steering?

Aww dang it! I think you all just cost me an additional $2000. B) Our boat is scheduled for production the end of September, so we still have like another week to make changes to our order. So basically on a 200hp like we're getting it would be a lot of work "whipping" a tuber around without power assist steering?
You do not want a 200hp without power assist.

Bulldog you got it right. I have a 150 with hydraulic steering. If I had anything bigger I would absolutly want the power assist

So how much different is a tri-toon compared to a monohull boat in terms of steering effort? The dealer is still saying that the standard hydraulic steering would be fine. My wifes dad has had boats for years, his last was a 22' center console with a 200hp Mercury. He did not have power assist and said his boat was very easy to steer and he didnt see the need for power assist. So is it just the difference in the style of the boat that makes the difference?

Yes, the type of hull will make a big differance. If you are going to be swinging tubers around all day you will want to have power assist unless you are superman. It's one of the few things I wish I had added to my boat and I only have the 150

Hey Chuck. Talk to your dealer and see what he would charge you to add power assist. If not much more than factory then order boat with hydraulic and add power assist if you feel you need it. Or if your a good mechanic you can add it yourself.

Back