Powerboat racing at our lake

Indian_Lake_Bum

Reaction score
According to the Indian lake chamber members they are trying to get powerboat racing to come to the lake in Sept.  Wonder if it is to replace the governors cup regetta that used to take place at St. Mary's every year.  It was cancelled last year and I haven't heard anything yet for this year.

Question is......have any of you had racing like this at your lake before?  What to expect as far as a spectator crowd and the size of location for the actual race course.

from the Facebook post:

Hey Friends and Family... going to need all the help I can get.  We are bringing Power Boat Races to Indian Lake Sept. 9 and 10th.  This will be a big national sanctioned race.  I will need people to help.  I'm having a committee meeting on Tuesday, March 21st at 4:30 p.m. at the chamber office.  Need Ideas and MONEY and help.  It is going to cost the chamber thousands of dollars to bring them here.  They have not raced at Indian Lake since the 70's.  If any one would like to help out with the committee or Money or knows of a corporate sponsor I should asked, please private message me. That makes big events in, July, August and September this year.. Lots of planning to get done.  My mind is already going 100 mile an hour.... sleepless nights I'm sure will be a regular thing!  But we will GETTER DONE for all to enjoy!!

Pretty cool! Are these the big boats like the big Miss Budweiser class?!? Maybe you can volunteer w/your  Benny somewhere on the course. Just position yourself where you can see the actual racing!

I have a good friend (also a Benny owner) over on LSM who is involved with the USFWBA. They did the lake logistics and volunteer patrols over there in previous years. You might contact them to get some info. 

I have a good friend (also a Benny owner) over on LSM who is involved with the USFWBA. They did the lake logistics and volunteer patrols over there in previous years. You might contact them to get some info. 

Tom I'm a member of the USFBA and have been since the chapter started at our lake back in 2015. But I've never had anything to do with the boat races they held there at GLSM over the years. We don't have a chapter charter any longer for indian lake even though we still have active members.  I might see if I can get a good spot to watch the races if we (as a group of members) get to help with it in some way.

The boats aren't quite as big as the unlimited hydroplanes (like miss budweiser) but they are plenty fast.  Used to have a bunch of pics from the celina races from a few years back.  Don't know what I did with them.....might still be on the memory cards for the old camera.

Governors Cup Pics

A few pics of the boats that will be racing if they are the same as the ones from celina.

Boat5.jpg

boat-f726-vintage-hydroplane-boat-racing-american-power-boat-association-EF47YR.jpg

82e2fa45997307306f84595a656e70cd.jpg

Pretty Cool, would be a blast to see in person

Sounds like a party! Hopefully your lake is large enough that you're not going to have to forgo using it during race weekend. 

Our lake is only 5800 acres but I think it's big enough to have the races on and still be able to use the other side like normal.  Bigger issue will be what ramp are they going to use and the parking lot space.  At the celina races they have 2 overhead cranes that put the boats in the water remove them.

As long as people realize what is going on and not try to take their kids tubing right down the middle of the track.  Only good thing is it's scheduled for the weekend after labor day so maybe not as much boat traffic....who knows.

Back