Powerhead Replaced

jfluhr18

Reaction score
So I ran into some bad luck last week and I would like some input.  So my 2013 Merc 150 4 stroke outboard overheaded last time we were out so it went to the dealer for repairs.  They found that it was losing oil pressure due to an O ring not being proper size which caused loss of oil pressure.  it basically fried the head.  They talked to Merc and the sent a new powerhead and I got the boat back yesterday which was great turnaround on the dealers part.  My question for you is has this happened to anyone else?  Is there something I should look out for or be worried about going forward?  The motor only had 60 hours on it and to have the whole powerhead replaced seems very unusual.  I do have 4 years left on warranty so time is on my side but I am very concerned going forward.  Should I be concerned or should I assume the problem is fixed?

Thanks

Wow, that stinks!

Did you get a warning beep or buzzer, did you lose power, or did it just quit on you?

I guess i am a bit confused (as usual), you said it overheated, they said it lost oil pressure, either one should set off an alarm, so which one caused the other?

As far as being worried, it is still covered under warranty, and if they have seen this as a problem before, they should have found a fix for it. So i wouldn't be too worried.

But, if it bothers you too much, you could trade it for a Yamaha or Honda  :eek:

Yes I did get a warning beep right when I lost power and a few minutes later it killed and I had to get towed in.  No warning before.  They said the loss of oil pressure caused it to overheat.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense, it seems like someone else on here had an upper crankshaft seal blow out and spewed oil all over under the cowl.

Did you have the chance to see what happend to yours? Just wondering if it was a similar issue.

I had the same thing happen to me last year on my 150 Verado! I got a low oil warning and then she went into limp mode followed by an oil slick that seemed to come out the exhaust. I was able to limp back to the docks and get her on the trailer! The motor was over 2 years old but I only had 35 hours on it! She had run flawlessly prior! The dealer tore her down and found an oil seal blown and Mercruiser just said send them the motor and they sent me a new power head. I am just finished with the break in 10 hours on the new head and no problems so far and I am getting her serviced next week! Other than the down time, the Dealer and Mercruiser were very helpful and did all they could do to get me back in the water! Boats break, finding a dealer and manufacturer that backs their products priceless!! Cheers Jim.
642315e48e40e79c37439e24a9bc10a5.jpg

I did not see anything different after it happened and there was not an oil slick.  Nothing leaked.

Back