Pre-wiring for subs

Reaction score
I have a 2011 2275GCW. I am looking to add a sub under the helm and possibly speakers on the swim platform. I was snooping around under the helm and saw two open ended wires that said amp on them. One was black and the other was purple with a red stripe. It appeared to go to the Acc switch that turns on the stereo. There was also an open ended white plug next to it with wires in it. Does anyone know if I can use these wires for an amp? Do I need to run other wiring or is this a ground and power pre-wired by Bennington.

If they are coming from the ACC switch then I doubt they will be sufficient to power an amp.  Most amps will pull much more than that switch is capable of handling anyways.  And, it sounds like it's just smaller wire, say 18ga or similar.  One of those wires may be the amp turn-on wire.  Really, the best way to power an amp is to run heavy gauge power and ground cables from the battery area to the helm area.  Hard to really say what those wires are without seeing a pic.

Thanks Havasu. The wire is small. I don't know why they bother with the pre wire if its not big enough. I had my suspicions about it but wanted to be sure before i started the process.

Thanks Havasu. The wire is small. I don't know why they bother with the pre wire if its not big enough. I had my suspicions about it but wanted to be sure before i started the process.

Those wires are still usefull if you use them to power a relay, and then run the heavy gauge sub power wires through NO contacts of the relay. 

Back