Prop - 2016 22 SLX SPS Tritoon w/Yamaha F150

LK SLX22

Reaction score
My 2016 Bennington 22 SLX SPS tritoon w/Yamaha F150 is on order and I'm doing my homework to ensure I don't spend money on a prop that doesn't work.  The dealer said they will prop the boat (aluminum) when it comes in to be sure it runs proper rpms under normal conditions, but have not mentioned a size.    My running conditions may not be normal for most, so I'm looking for input.  I'll need a setup that can run in rough water with up to an 8 mph current.  I would like to preserve top end mph in case weather becomes an issue.  Using the online Yamaha prop selector tool, I have narrowed my numbers down to a 3 blade 15-15.25 diameter X 15 pitch in aluminum, or a 3 blade 14.25-15 diameter X 16 pitch in stainless.  I'm not sure the stainless or a 4 blade prop would be better for my setup, but I'm open to information and experience.  Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Turbo Offshore 1 -- SS 4-blade 14.5x15 -- Came with the boat and the dealer who sold it to me said I'd like it better than the recommended prop. The SDS's were on back order so they didn't have any.   I had it for several months (most of the summer) and it was fine..quick out of the hole and top speed was good (38-40ish)  I had a bug up my butt to try the recommended prop (just in case it was better)  so I bugged him to get me the Reliance SDS SS 3-blade 14.5x15 which he did.  I put it on and didn't like it, he was right I liked the Turbo better.

http://www.turbo-props.com/products/turbo-offshore-i-series_toi

It's quicker out of the hole/plane and top speed it only a minor difference if at all (I can hardly tell any difference)

The big difference was with the SDS my rpm's were up around 6k and with the Turbo the rpm's were only 5.2-5.5k at WOT -- It just seemed to me like the engine wasn't working as hard with the Turbo.

He let me have my old prop back so I'm happy....

As far as chatter, it's very minimal when under 1k but I just about never go under 1k ..heck slow no wake zone is 1.1k with the Turbo.

my .03

If it is lugging the motor that is actually working the motor more. I'd be curious to see how the two would compare in a drag race. I feel mine gets out of the hole real quick too.

If you are only getting 5200 to 5500 RPMs at WOT you would be slightly over propped putting more load on the motor. The closer to 6000 RPMs the better,

Maximize Performance with the Right Prop EACH BOAT AND MOTOR IS DIFFERENT, SO WHICH IS THE RIGHT PROP FOR YOU?

By Capt. Rick Murphy

Yamaha Pro Staff

I just got my new Pathfinder 2300 HPS with 250 h.p. Yamaha VMAX SHO four stroke, and as you know whenever you get a new boat there’s a challenge to getting the same performance from the new boat as the one you had last year. The same goes with any new or used boat where you’re trying to get the best performance out of the boat and motor possible.

Because not all boat and motors are the same, there’s a lot of variances in performance, and the only way to really get the best performance out of your boat and motor combination is through trial and error, unless you’re lucky enough that the Yamaha technicians have run the exact boat and motor combination that you own and done a performance bulletin on it. If so, you can look it up on the Yamaha Outboards website athttp://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins and see exactly which prop is the perfect match for your boat. 

If there is no performance bulletin, then you have to try several props to see which works best on your boat. Before propping your boat, you want to consider fuel capacity and overall weight of the boat. Ideally, you want a Yamaha four stroke outboard to turn between 5,500 and 6,000 rpms to get the best performance out of your boat and motor. If you’re turning 4,900 to 5,200 rpms with a normal load, as you put more gear, people and fuel in the boat, you increase the weight and decrease the rpms. As you travel lighter with less people and coolers and gas, your rpms will increase.

The thing to keep in mind is that these four stroke motors get top performance from the timing and advancing the rpms when running between 5,500 and 6,000 rpms, so that’s where the best performance is going to come from. So you want to find a prop that’s going to turn enough rpms in that top performance range. That being said, I like to have two props on hand for different performance situations and loads.

I want to make sure the engine it winding up and turning 5,800 rpms. If I get up around 6,000 rpms then I’ve likely burned off some fuel and lightened the load and am running downwind. With that being said, I’ll have one three-blade prop and one four-blade prop.

Three-blade props will always be faster than four-blade props regardless of the rake. Rake is how the blades pitch back away from the hub and towards the motor itself. The more rake you have, the faster you’re going to go. But the more rake you have, the less grip the prop has on the water, and eventually there’s a tendency for the prop to aerate or slip. That’s usually not a big deal, but if you’re wanting to run very shallow with the jackplate up and a lot of the prop out of the water, then a four-blade prop may be a better option.

The Yamaha High Seas Series four-blade props are very fast and efficient and almost as fast as a three-bladed prop. They come in a 15 inch diameter with pitch that goes from 19 to 25. I like there propellers as an all-around prop. I’m only losing one or two mph in speed versus a three-blade prop, but I can jack my jackplate all the way up to six which allows me to run that Pathfinder 2300 HPS in very shallow water or search for fish at a very slow speed without the boat coming off plane because the grip of the prop is slipping.

Any time you’re running a four-blade prop three of the blades are completely in the water at all times, with fourth blade at the top of the revolution probably ¾’s of the way into the water as well. That gives you a tremendous amount of grip, holeshot and thrust with very little slippage. 

There’s this belief that four stroke outboards like a smaller propeller, but that’s really not the truth. If you’re running a smaller diameter prop it usually has more to do with the setback of the engine. If you have a transom with no jackplate and a step in the bottom you probably won’t be able to swing the higher diameter props. Your boat will likely perform best with a smaller diameter prop with a higher pitch because the prop isn’t far enough behind the boat to be in the sweet spot where the left and right wakes meet.

The farther the engine is back from the transom, the more lift you get from the motor and the bigger prop you can swing. Ideally, you want the prop of your motor right behind the boat where the left wake and right wake meet, and when that happens you can really swing a big prop and get the best performance from your outboard. 

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/blog/pro-anglers/maximize-performance-right-prop

Thank you all for your quick input.  I guess the folks responding so far are in favor of stainless, so I'll have to dig deeper for my purchase.  The rpm issue is something I won't be able to deal with till I get my hands on the rig.  The Yamaha Performance Bulletin link did show a top rpm at 5850, so I guess that's a sweet spot for the 4 stroke F150?  The extra bite capability of a 4 blade prop is also interesting since my area is prone to very rough water at times.  I've got a month or so before I have to pull the trigger on a prop purchase so I will digest all the advice provided.  All suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Who runs wide open all the time... very few... most people I know run 3-5k most of the time just cruising.  It's subjective.... try different props and decide which one you like the best, heck you might like aluminum better than SS.  The right prop for me was the one I liked. I get better hole shots and better cruising mpg with the Turbo compared to the SDS (actually it's really 3-blade compared to 4-blade).  Your Yamaha motor can handle it with NO problem unless it's a prop WAY out of the ordinary for your configuration.  

If you have a decent dealer they may let you try different props before you decide which one you want. Mine was great in that they let me try different props before deciding.

royal4

Point well taken.  Most of us will run at top speed much less than 10% of the time.  In my particular situation, I'm searching for the right prop to retain a respectable top speed, but I'm concerned with the prop holding the nose high and dry in a heavy chop or swells without breaking loose.  Many times I will encounter rough conditions for miles before I can get back to flatter water.  I was hoping someone with a similar rig could share how well their Bennington SPS tritoon carried itself in rough water and recommend the prop that worked for them.  I'll find out how far my dealer is willing to go with prop testing.   Thanks for your insight.

I have a  2375 RCW with a 150 Merc ,15 X 15 stainless enertia .I  am on the inland water way in Northern Michigan .But the R series is heavier than an S .Dont believe  it would be a good comparison 

The Turbo is built for off shore (rough water) so I'd think it would be good for your application.  Interesting discussion... Just because of this thread I started researching prop weights, engine performance, over-proping, peak engine performance, 3-blade vs 4-blade,  yada yada yada... you learn a lot when you start digging and I also learned there's a bunch I don't know.  Talk to your dealer or maybe a few dealers about what they think will work.... maybe they have  customers that run in rough water and know what works best.

Since you mention rough conditions -- the advertising from Turbo about the OSI1 prop ==

"The New TURBO OSI  (OS1) is a 4 blade propeller that answers the need for rough water  stability, load carrying ability and transom lift. Reduced prop slippage under power and load as well as excellent cruising characteristics rounds out the highlights of this series."

You're doing the right thing.... ask around for different information, ideas and opinions before making a decision.

Your dealer was being very chincy by propping your boat with an aluminum prop--after you've spent that much $ with him.  All 150 hp motors are worthy of a stainless prop.

I saw on the Bennington get ready docs. where they spec.'d a 15 pitch prop on my 24SSLX with a F150.  My dealer put a M14 yamaha prop on it, and I was bouncing off the rev limiter @ 6300 rpm's and 4 mph too slow.  They ordered me a Reliance 15 pith prop and I switched it out.

My Reliance prop performs just right, with just a slight amount of ventilation when I start from a dead stop with the engine fully trimmed up.

I kinda agree -- if you bought a brand new boat it should come with a SS prop.

We have a 2016  21 SLX, with Yammy 150 and SPS. We have the SS Yammy Reliance prop, and it works great! The boat itself with the 150 on back and the SPS package sits fairly bow high with the extra flotation of the center toon. We are in FL, where we have a lot of shallow lakes that really get choppy quickly when the wind comes up. The boat has always stayed dry, even when on the lakes, plus crossing big wakes. 

There is only a foot difference in our boat and yours, and I can't imagine that there is much difference in performance. Our performance is in the signature below. Oh, btw, we have the extended aft deck, so effectively both decks are probably the same. You will love your boat. I was interested in different props when we bought our boat. Our dealer was pretty insistant that we use the Reliance, and said that if I did not like it he would change it out. I listened to him and am more than pleased. As the others have said, no matter what, get a SS prop. There is a reason they cost more! The SDS alone is a GREAT feature.

Thanks for all the information.  Stainless it is.  I'm going to work with my dealer to see if we can try out a few at the pick up demo this Spring.

...I'm concerned with the prop holding the nose high and dry in a heavy chop or swells without breaking loose.  Many times I will encounter rough conditions for miles before I can get back to flatter water.  I was hoping someone with a similar rig could share how well their Bennington SPS tritoon carried itself in rough water and recommend the prop that worked for them.  I'll find out how far my dealer is willing to go with prop testing.   Thanks for your insight.
I've never had any issues in choppy water with my prop and SPS toons.  I have the Reliance SS 14 1/4 x 17 and get 5800 - 5900 rpm with clean toons.  With the toons dirty my RPM can drop to about 5300 - 5400.  I've been thinking about getting an SDS to reduce the slight idle chatter and shifting clunk, either in the same 17 pitch or else going with the 14.5 x 15, but just haven't pulled the trigger.     

No one has talked about hole position, but that's an important consideration as you are trying to dial in the right prop and ensure you can keep the nose high without cavitating.

We took delivery of our 22 SLX SPS tritoon with a Yamaha F150.   We have only 3 break-in hours so far due to weather.  We have 2 Quicksilver stainless props.

The prop we purchased as our primary is a Quicksilver Q3 15X15 (identical to an Enertia) which is installed now.  The Q3 is impressive, and let the F150 spin at 5800-5900 RPM WOT for a 5 second burst at 3 hours (mostly full tank, 2 people).  It performs well around the dock too.

Our backup for now is a Quicksilver Silverado 14.5X17 that we received at delivery.  It performed OK during the initial 15 minute delivery run at idle-slow speeds.  The dealer said they got 5600-5700 RPM at WOT on a similar 22 tritoon with the Yamaha F150.

Once we have a few more hours we'll be able to make longer WOT runs.  I'll take note of WOT RPM and MPH via GPS for the Q3.  If we're happy with the all around performance of the Q3, the Silverado prop may stay dry, but ready, just-in-case.

goldnrod24, Font too small?  This post was done in size 14 font.  Not sure what the issue was.  The posting looked OK from my perspective.  Yes, I read all the Yamaha performance bulletins before I chose a prop.  The Reliance SDS was at the top of our list too, but we purchased the Q3 for much less.  The Q3/Enertia is a recommended setup for my rig by the shops in my area.  So far so good based on 3 hours on the water.  Maybe someday a Reliance 14.5X15 SDS on sale could convince me to sell the back up Silverado.

My original post, hopefully legible now:

Posted 35 minutes ago · Report posthttp://club.benningtonmarine.com/in...-wyamaha-f150/&do=reportComment&comment=82004

We took delivery of our 22 SLX SPS tritoon with a Yamaha F150.   We have only 3 break-in hours so far due to weather.  We have 2 Quicksilver stainless props.

The prop we purchased as our primary is a Quicksilver Q3 15X15 (identical to an Enertia) which is installed now.  The Q3 is impressive, and let the F150 spin at 5800-5900 RPM WOT for a 5 second burst at 3 hours (mostly full tank, 2 people).  It performs well around the dock too.

Our backup for now is a Quicksilver Silverado 14.5X17 that we received at delivery.  It performed OK during the initial 15 minute delivery run at idle-slow speeds.  The dealer said they got 5600-5700 RPM at WOT on a similar 22 tritoon with the Yamaha F150.

Once we have a few more hours we'll be able to make longer WOT runs.  I'll take note of WOT RPM and MPH via GPS for the Q3.  If we're happy with the all around performance of the Q3, the Silverado prop may stay dry, but ready, just-in-case.

Oh, much improved. Below is what it originally looked like: (actually, on my iPad, it looked like a wedding invitation, it looks much better on a PC).

My 2016 Bennington 22 SLX SPS tritoon w/Yamaha F150 is on order and I'm doing my homework to ensure I don't spend money on a prop that doesn't work.  The dealer said they will prop the boat (aluminum) when it comes in to be sure it runs proper rpms under normal conditions, but have not mentioned a size.    My running conditions may not be normal for most, so I'm looking for input.  I'll need a setup that can run in rough water with up to an 8 mph current.  I would like to preserve top end mph in case weather becomes an issue.  Using the online Yamaha prop selector tool, I have narrowed my numbers down to a 3 blade 15-15.25 diameter X 15 pitch in aluminum, or a 3 blade 14.25-15 diameter X 16 pitch in stainless.  I'm not sure the stainless or a 4 blade prop would be better for my setup, but I'm open to information and experience.  Thanks for your input.

Back