Prop Q's 2020 R25

smacks

Reaction score
Just had our 2020 R25 tritoon w/ 300 merc dropped in the water last week. We followed engine break in, but now wondering if I can get some input on prop selection? I think it has a Enertia 15p merc prop. I was getting about 44 mph with 5 people and 1/2 to full tank of gas turning just under 6000 rpm at WOT. Should I be getting more mph? Thoughts?

Thanks much,

I’d say you are pretty good. 6k rpm with 5 on board/plus big boat probably puts you at the top of your rpm range with a light load (the goal for most folks). I’ve come to realize these boats can only run so fast. Running over 50 costs money and lots of time tweaking.

I lean in JB75’s direction. If you are not dialed in, you are probably close. To find out, go out on a calm wind and water day. Light load: 1-2 people only, 1/3 tank of gas or less (maybe 1/4 or less if a big gas tank on an ESP tritoon vs. SPS tritoon). Open it up, and play with trim to get to your maximum speed. Log speed and RPM’s at that point.

On that light load in perfect conditions, you want to be as close to the max RPM range for your motor as you can get without going over. From there it will always be slightly less as you travel with more weight. Once you’ve done that, you will know you are either dialed in already, OR you can play with your prop a bit if you have sone ”spare” RPM’s to play with.

2 on board with 1/4 tank you'll hit 47/48 mph with the right trim.

Back