Prop question again!

ronfl

Reaction score
OK I realize prop questions are asked here many, many, many times but I am very new to Mercury am in need of assistance. I just purchased a 2010 2550 with a mercury 150 optimax. It has a quicksilver prop and it measures 8" from center of nut to outside of prop fin and it says its a 2008P15 so I assume it's a 16" with 15 pitch. Not sure what the 2008 is? Toon is a double with 25" and lifting strakes and under deck shield. Test drove the boat on smooth water with 4 adults and 1/2 tank of gas. Really smooth and handles the toon well. Issue is the max RPM was around 4800. I believe this motor should be in the 5400 RPM range at top end? If so would 4 adults take that many RPM away or is the motor over propped? Any suggestions or advice.

150 opti runs between 5250 and 5750 for rpm. I have a 2275 rcw with twin elips and run a 15" Enertia prop and hit right about 5600 with my 150 opti pro xs. You have a larger boat then I do and may need to drop to a 14" or 13" pitch to get the rpms up to the recommended range

Todd

I too agree with above. You should be looking at the Enertia props which are available every inch of pitch so you can fine tune your prop exactly. The Enertia is simply the standard of the industry for pontoons.

You might see if the dealer would let you take a 13 and a 14 props with you to the water and return one. Try the 13 pitch first to see what rpm's it pulls. It should be the one for you.

Which model are we dealing with here........2 tuber or tritoon?

We stopped at a local Bennington dealer this weekend. I was surprised by what I learned. We are all heading the wrong direction! The owners son set out to school me on pontoon performance LOL! He proceeded to tell me that he sold a 25 R model two tuber (25") w/strakes and a Mercury Opti 150 that runs 45mph on gps. When I posed a question to him he smugly stated that "I think I've sold enough Benningtons to know". I bit my tongue.

He didnt tell me what prop he installed, but it must be one of those "industry standard" Enertias LMAO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Ben, I thought you would be quick to respond." ok, but what was the gps reading when you got it off the trailer and weren't towing it anymore?" Semper, you may want to get the name and address of this kid and dealership, he'll have that 20hp pulling skiers at 30mph in no time!

Toon is a double with 25" and lifting strakes and under deck shield. Test drove the boat on smooth water with 4 adults and 1/2 tank of gas. Really smooth and handles the toon well. Issue is the max RPM was around 4800. I believe this motor should be in the 5400 RPM range at top end?

Damn Ben, that 25 footer will outrun with us with the same hp. Wow, guess we should have bought from him eh?

The 25 is a lot of boat to push with a 150 with 2 std 25" tubes. Enertia goes down to 14 pitch which might get you a couple hundred rpm. You may need to look another route to get you up to a min of 5250. A 13p would be up your alley, but I don't know if a merc mirage is a good toon prop or not. You need a min of 500rpm at a light load if your only at 4800. That puts you at 5400 which is about in the middle. But as soo as you add weight, that's gonna drop off quickly.

Todd

Damn Ben, that 25 footer will outrun with us with the same hp. Wow, guess we should have bought from him eh?

The 25 is a lot of boat to push with a 150 with 2 std 25" tubes. Enertia goes down to 14 pitch which might get you a couple hundred rpm. You may need to look another route to get you up to a min of 5250. A 13p would be up your alley, but I don't know if a merc mirage is a good toon prop or not. You need a min of 500rpm at a light load if your only at 4800. That puts you at 5400 which is about in the middle. But as soo as you add weight, that's gonna drop off quickly.

Todd
The Mercury Mirage Plus Stainless 17P came w/our boat. We easily hit in the lower 40's and has a great hole shot for watersports...............

Back