Prop recommendation...

lcbl75771

Reaction score
I have a 2007 2075GS with a Yamaha 90TLR. The aluminum prop that came on the motor is a 13 5/8 x 13 - K. Anyone have a recommendations? I think another 13P, but 13 3/4 or 14 diameter. What brand are you running?

What is your WOT rpms and speed with what you have?

You'll need the speed to make a proper choice. A car gps will work or your smartphone will work with a gps app.

Just you for starters.

A stainless prop is a pretty expensive proposition for any boat.  We see them mainly on bass boats and tritoons from 150 hp up. 

Is there any specific reason why you need a stainless prop on your boat if you're capable of pulling redline rpm's?

I would think your 13 pitch prop would do you a good job.  I have always run a 15 pitch prop on my old Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke on a 2 toon boat.

Ok, here are the numbers from this weekend. Me only, WOT, 5500-5600 RPM, 23-24 MPH. 6 adults. 5200-5300 RPM, 19-20 MPH. As originally posted, I was running the aluminum 13 5/8 x 13 prop. With these numbers, what prop should I be using. I am looking into getting a stainless, that's why I want to get the right pitch if I'm not running it now. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like your RPMs are still low..should be able to closer to 5800-5900...pretty certain WOT for your motor is 5-6K.  

Performance bulletins with same engine and similar boat/weight size are showing higher RPMS with about 29mph

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/BNT_22SSLX_F90LA_2013-08-20_PNT.pdf

They are showing 13 1/4 - 14 polished stainless steel.  Also, check your cavitation plate and make sure it isnt buried in the water when under way...should be just out of the water when trimmed up...should be able to see it with water splashing it..not high and dry but above the surface of the water.

Thanks, looks like both bulletins are using a 14 pitch prop. I will check the cavitation plate next time out. Should changing to a 14 pitch increase speed and RPM?

Should make it "grab" more water and the lower diameter prop would theoretically make it spin the water easier giving you more RPMS this more power and should help the speed too...the stainless prop would flex less and would help as well..no guarantees though as every setup is so different..hopefully you have a dealer that is willing to let you test a few...good luck and let us know how it goes.

We use a 13.8x13 quicksilver 4 blade prop and get 29.1 gps at 6100 rpm.We have a 20slx,2people,full tank,cooler,2 anchors and fishing gear and porta potty.

Back