Prop Size 21 SLX SPS with Yamaha 150

jman

Reaction score
Finally motor arrives tomorrow dealer wants me to choose prop size. He has given me two choices; the factory spec'd 15 or going with a 17. I realize that this is only one half of the prop size but I don't have the actual full dimensions (were supposed to be sent to me in an email but they are not there).

I need to tell him something in the am. 

I have searched and there is quite a bit on prop sizing but thought I'd post fresh to get latest results and opinions.

Thanks again everyone!

Jamie

21 SLX

SPS Pontoons

Yamaha 150

Tubing/Cruising, etc.

jman, look in the props and power section, you should get a pretty good idea of what you need in there.

There are soo many resources on this site!  ;)
Thanks didn't see that. Looking forward to answering some questions as opposed to asking!

I would say 15p.

Dealer just called me. He says choices were 15 diameter and 17. He doesn't remember pitch but thinks they were the same (I'm guessing 15?) paperwork is at office.

He is pushing the 17 as he thinks with a load it will perform better than the 15 and not slip or ventilate.

Props and power forum is good but examples are a bit all over the place.

Thanks.

Geez this last bit of research....it's my birthday to boot, got the great news on the motor today (a few days early!), but want to make sure I set it up right and he needs to order by 8:30 am tomorrow.

On a side note there is a big box with a bow in the living room which I think is a water toy, can't wait til next week.

Jamie

Ok, dealer had part number 68F-45970-10-00 which is .....14.5" diameter X 15 pitch

This is the manufacturer recomendation, whether that is Bennington or Yamaha I am not sure.

Happy Birthday!!

I have a 15 x 15p enertia on our boat and I love it. Your boat is a little shorter and lighter so in thinking about it, the 17p might be better. Propping is for the most part, "educated guesswork".    :D

Happy Birthday from a fellow New Jerseyian who had enough and moved south. I'm originally from Nutley and my wife is from Neptune. Worked in Toms River and Freehold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 15 x 15p enertia on our boat and I love it. Your boat is a little shorter and lighter so in thinking about it, the 17p might be better. Propping is for the most part, "educated guesswork".    :D

Happy Birthday from a fellow New Jerseyian who had enough and moved south. I'm originally from Nutley and my wife is from Neptune. Worked in Toms River and Freehold.
We're everywhere, lol. Jersyites that is. Living in the deep south of the garden state in Ocean City. Lots of great back bay and river pontoon cruising. Thanks for the input.

Dealer has 14.5 X 15 prop in stock so we'll go with that a look to be in the RPM sweet spot. This is a best case scenario for me as we can make sure the boat performs with a prop they already own. If not we'll change to something else.

Thinking I'm just about there.

Thanks again!

Jamie

If you plan to have the boat loaded more often than not, and want to enjoy water sports, go with the lower pitch.  If it's just you and a couple other people the majority of the time go with the larger pitch.

Back