Protecting new pontoons

gerry

Reaction score
Just ordered a new 2012 2575 RCW. 225 Honda w/ ESP, Smoky Granite, Mocha Palm, Monochrome, infloor storage, center fuel tank, elevated helm w/ wide chair, aft teak deck, SS gate, color GPS, underwater lights, stern lounge remote, Blue Ice cupholders & bimini, bow gate seat, removable ski pylon, SS rubrail Can't wait. BUT.... Does anybody have any experience with Sharkskin ? Is it clear ? Toonbrite also makes a sealing product. Is that what Sharkskin is ? Pros, Cons ? Thanks Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new Bennie Gerry. I am sure some of our members will pipe in soon about sharkhide.

That's a nice boat. I'm jealous.

Sharkhide...

People who use it like it, and it does help. You have to do it when the logs are new and you'll want to prep the surface of course, which is not a trivial event and requires the boat to be supported in such a way that you can GET to all the log surfaces.

Eventually though, nothing is going to stop your logs from getting that aged aluminum look.

Personally, I suggest not worrying about it. But there IS another option, other than sharkhide, which is easier to apply and maintain over time. Marine paint. Just a thought...

Truthfully though, when you're on the boat you don't really pay attention to the logs.

I agree with Eric. When I bought my boat, I was going to be that guy with the always bright and shiny 'toons. Then, we started using the boat and I realized that I wanted to spend my time enjoying the topside, not obsessing over the bottomside.

Keeping that shiny look takes lots of time and $$$ for products and equipment. The only guy I know who has shiny 'toons owns a boat detailing service and he just has one of his employees do it for him.

Worth considering.

Back